Hi there,

We have compiled Top 10 most common settings to tweak and check if you are having problems with WhatsApp on your BlackBerry. Here are they are:

0. make sure you have deleted old copy, rebooting your device and re-installed latest version 2.3 from WhatsApp Messenger for Blackberry

1. make sure that Options > Mobile Network > Data Services are set to On

2. make sure that Options > Security Options > Firewall > Status is Disabled and Block Incoming Messages are not enabled

3. make sure that Options > Security Options > Application Permissions > WhatsApp > Edit Permissions is set to Allow for everything.

4. make sure that Options > Security Options > General Settings > Content Compressions is Disabled

5. make sure that Options > Security Options > General Settings > Content Protection is Disabled (or if Enabled, Include Contacts is excluded and set to No)

6. for insufficient network coverage error, check out insufficient network coverage blackberry - Google Search

7. make sure that everything is enabled under Options > Advanced Options > Browser Push

8. make sure that APN is configured correctly under Options > Advanced Options > TCP (see apn blackberry - Google Search for more)

9. make sure you have radio data activation enabled: "Radio Data Activation: No" blackberry - Google Search

We hope that people will find these useful (even when trying to get other applications to work).

We also hope to grow this list with your comments, solutions and suggestions to various issues that you might face and solve.
    04-13-10 07:48 PM
    Like what you guys did so far on the development of WA

No problems since it got bumped to 2.2/2.3
    04-13-10 09:53 PM
    I tried to install WhatsApp, but was turned off that it was forcing me to submit my phone number. I could not find a way around this. Why does it require my number? I want to try it, but am not comfortable giving my phone number.
    04-13-10 10:04 PM
    I tried to install WhatsApp, but was turned off that it was forcing me to submit my phone number. I could not find a way around this. Why does it require my number? I want to try it, but am not comfortable giving my phone number.
    take a look at Why do you ask for my phone number? FAQ entry for the answer (and we promise not to call you either)
    04-13-10 10:16 PM
    take a look at Why do you ask for my phone number? FAQ entry for the answer (and we promise not to call you either)
    I see that, but your FAQ seems to contradict itself.

WhatsApp is a Smartphone-2-Smartphone instant messenger application and chat service that works over your existing internet data plan. Because WhatsApp uses the same internet data plan that you use for email and web browsing, there is no cost to message and stay in touch with your friends.
    We ask for your phone number because that is how WhatsApp routes chat messages between you and your contacts, similar to how the regular SMS system would. We value your privacy and we have not, do not and will not ever sell your personal information to anyone. If you would like to learn more about our Privacy Policy, please take a look at our
    If you are using data, then the having my phone number should have nothing to do with it. Maybe Im just missing something here, but I dont get it...
    04-13-10 10:22 PM
    Maybe Im just missing something here, but I dont get it...
    think of your phone number as a PIN.

sms uses your phone number in a PIN-like way when it routes messages via the SMS network. so does whatsapp, but using the data network instead of sms network.
    04-13-10 10:25 PM
    i am using a old version of whatsapp and it wad doing fine untill u guys release the new version which i update and it prompt me to purchase it. what happen to my previous version ?
    04-13-10 10:25 PM
    i am using a old version of whatsapp and it wad doing fine untill u guys release the new version which i update and it prompt me to purchase it. what happen to my previous version ?
    everybody who purchased from AppWorld was marked as paid. if you didn't get marked as paid and purchased from AppWorld previously, please contact [email protected]
    04-13-10 10:27 PM
    think of your phone number as a PIN.

sms uses your phone number in a PIN-like way when it routes messages via the SMS network. so does whatsapp, but using the data network instead of sms network.
    Fair enough thank you for answering. But I think you are turning off some users by doing that though. I'll give it a try if theres a way I can use it without giving out my number.
    04-13-10 10:28 PM
    everybody who purchased from AppWorld was marked as paid. if you didn't get marked as paid and purchased from AppWorld previously, please contact [email protected]

i did not purchase from appworld as it is not supported in sg. i get it from mobihand instead. so do i still contact [email protected] ? does it mean most probably i need to pay again ?
    04-13-10 10:39 PM
    Hi, I just downloaded the latest version of 2.4.4316, but have trouble.

I am using a blackberry 9700 with OS5.0.0.593 with NTT Japan (3G UMTS).

When I am trying to start up for the first time, it goes to the Confirmation of #. When it says "sending SMS to #" I keep on getting the "error sending sms to #"

How can I fix this? I also tried writing to support(dot)whatsapp.com over 3 times already, but have received no real reply.
    06-22-10 09:37 PM
    Hi, I just downloaded the latest version of 2.4.4316, but have trouble.

I am using a blackberry 9700 with OS5.0.0.593 with NTT Japan (3G UMTS).

When I am trying to start up for the first time, it goes to the Confirmation of #. When it says "sending SMS to #" I keep on getting the "error sending sms to #"

How can I fix this? I also tried writing to support(dot)whatsapp.com over 3 times already, but have received no real reply.
    your issue has been escalated to engineering. they are investigating. you are most likely our first blackberry users from japan as well
    06-22-10 09:53 PM
    your issue has been escalated to engineering. they are investigating. you are most likely our first blackberry users from japan as well
    Thanks for looking into it
    06-23-10 12:41 AM
    Hi, I downloaded and got the same trouble I already sent the device diagnostic report twice but there's no reply. so does whats app really work for Blackberry user in japan?
    06-26-10 10:53 PM
    Hi, I downloaded and got the same trouble I already sent the device diagnostic report twice but there's no reply. so does whats app really work for Blackberry user in japan?
    Still waiting to find out!
    06-27-10 09:03 PM
    I have a BB Tour unlocked to AT&T. I installed Whatsapp and on start up it goes through it's diagnostic and gets to registration - then it sticks there forever. I ran the diagnostic test on my BB and it tells me the same stuff

Device Type: BlackBerry 9630
    Application Version: v5.0.0.732
    Platform Version: 4.2.0.334
    Service Books: RIM_IM,BBIM,BBIM,BBIMConfig,BBIMConfig,BBIMConfig, IPPP,LbsConfig,OTASL,WAPPushConfig,BrowserConfig,C MIME,KEYNEGO,CMIME,CICAL,CMIME,CICAL,BBIM,KEYNEGO, CICAL,PROVISIONING
    Free File Space: 71069397 bytes
    Radio Data Activation: No
    Signal Level: Unknown
    Radio Access: Unknown
    Network: Unknown
    IP Address: Unknown
    ICMP Ping Echo: Abort
    BlackBerry Registration: Abort
    Connected to BlackBerry: Abort
    BlackBerry PIN-PIN: Abort

This makes no sense to me at all because all my data services are working - email, text, BBM, internet, etc. So obviously my data and radio are working. However it should appear like that in the diagnostic and Whatsapp will not start. No one at AT&T or Whatsapp support can help in any way. Anyone have any idea how to fix this and get me up and running with Whatsapp? I am trying to get a text/IM setup with a business partner I have in South America who is on an iPhone and we thought this would be great - but can't get it to run. Help.
    07-01-10 12:14 AM
    I have a BB Tour unlocked to AT&T. I installed Whatsapp and on start up it goes through it's diagnostic and gets to registration - then it sticks there forever. I ran the diagnostic test on my BB and it tells me the same stuff

Device Type: BlackBerry 9630
    Application Version: v5.0.0.732
    Platform Version: 4.2.0.334
    Service Books: RIM_IM,BBIM,BBIM,BBIMConfig,BBIMConfig,BBIMConfig, IPPP,LbsConfig,OTASL,WAPPushConfig,BrowserConfig,C MIME,KEYNEGO,CMIME,CICAL,CMIME,CICAL,BBIM,KEYNEGO, CICAL,PROVISIONING
    Free File Space: 71069397 bytes
    Radio Data Activation: No
    Signal Level: Unknown
    Radio Access: Unknown
    Network: Unknown
    IP Address: Unknown
    ICMP Ping Echo: Abort
    BlackBerry Registration: Abort
    Connected to BlackBerry: Abort
    BlackBerry PIN-PIN: Abort

This makes no sense to me at all because all my data services are working - email, text, BBM, internet, etc. So obviously my data and radio are working. However it should appear like that in the diagnostic and Whatsapp will not start. No one at AT&T or Whatsapp support can help in any way. Anyone have any idea how to fix this and get me up and running with Whatsapp? I am trying to get a text/IM setup with a business partner I have in South America who is on an iPhone and we thought this would be great - but can't get it to run. Help.
    I have not received any reply yet, even though it has been promised. Tried using Cnectd. Not the best, but it does the basics
    07-01-10 12:46 AM
    Hi everyone, something very strange happenened, just downloaded and worked well, then realised that my BBm messages won't send or receive !

only when i turn off the network signal and back on BBM text will receive and send for abour 3mins, then won't work again,

i deleted and reinstalled 3times whatsapp to see if it was really the problem.

It is... don't really know what to do, whatsapp is great but BBM... is better
    07-01-10 06:31 AM
    i am now in china on china mobile with bes... however the whatsapp keeps telling me the insufficent network coverage... ive looked through ur links and google searches but still no resolution... please help thnx!
    07-01-10 09:52 PM
    Hi my BlackBerry is 9700 unlocked and my SIM is NTT Docomo.
    I have same trouble as other Docomo users.
    Always "error sending sms to +8180xxxxxxxx" is appeared and failed confirmation :/
    Fix it please!
    07-08-10 05:03 AM
    i have recently downloaded whatsapp to my blackberry so that i can chat with my friend who has an iphone.. everything works fine until weve been chatting a while and i get an 'uncaught exception' error message stating that whatsapp is not responding and then it wont let me chat with her anymore.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app but it did it again after a while. if i end the conversation it seems to work ok again.. but then obviously i cant see what shes last written. any ideas?

i have a bold 9700 OS 5.0

thanks in advance,
    07-09-10 04:00 AM
    and btw, the icon is gone from my menu.....it is not there at the applications folder, not at the downloads folder.....

what is going on?

I purchased the app, but still not working. Still sending me messages that my version of WA has a 'critical bug' .... and the 'uncaught exception'-error is still there...

///not happy..
    07-09-10 04:09 AM
    i got the reply from the support from Whats app. here it is..

Subject: Re: Whats app for Blackberry JAPAN

Do you have enough SMS credits on your account to allow sending and receiving of an SMS for authentication?

and i replied them back but there's still no ans!!!
    07-09-10 07:30 AM
    I have whatsapp on my bold 9700 for 2 months now. no problem with registering with phone number. 3 weeks ago, there was some registering problem which affected whatsapp server. but these 2 weeks, it has been working well. no problem or whatsoever. Great product.
    07-09-10 11:59 AM
    Any solution in sight??
    07-15-10 01:49 AM
351 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD