I was looking at some new batteries on ebay and I emailed one of the sellers to ask him why he was charging $25-$30 while everyone else was charging $5-8 for the Tour battery. He replied that "His were real and not fake." If this is the case that people are selling fake batteries on ebay is it something that could potentially be damaging to my phone or is it just another way to rip people off?

Would really appreciate the responses, thanks guys.
    04-13-10 09:50 AM
    I was looking at some new batteries on ebay and I emailed one of the sellers to ask him why he was charging $25-$30 while everyone else was charging $5-8 for the Tour battery. He replied that "His were real and not fake." If this is the case that people are selling fake batteries on ebay is it something that could potentially be damaging to my phone or is it just another way to rip people off?

Would really appreciate the responses, thanks guys.
    well i bought 2 oem batteries off ebay thus far and both are working great. so i'm not sure - maybe the guy selling for 25-30 just doesn't have as good a source to get these in mass or not but i can say that the cheaper $7-8 batteries do seem to be legit and working fine.
    04-13-10 11:34 AM
    Most of the really cheap batteries are counterfeit and you have no clue what you are buying.

Find a merchant with a US address that sells at a reasonable price and has good feedback. No guarantees on quality but you do have some recourse with a US seller.
    04-13-10 11:40 AM
    Most of the really cheap batteries are counterfeit and you have no clue what you are buying.

Find a merchant with a US address that sells at a reasonable price and has good feedback. No guarantees on quality but you do have some recourse with a US seller.
    this is what i did when i bought them too.. the sellers i bought from all have great feedback and have been selling batteries, not just for the tour but all other devices too, all with good feedback about the batteries. i would never buy batteries from china/hong kong - those are very highly likely to be counterfeit
    04-13-10 12:01 PM
    you can get OEM from amazon for 13.
    04-13-10 01:46 PM
    Most cheap batteries and some more expensive on eBay are chinese knock offs. I bought a battery for my wife's Nikon camera that was advertised as OEM / Nikon made, not counterfeit and was marked about 5$ more than the others that were obviously fake. Guess what? It was counterfiet too. The reason I determined that is Nikon has a whole web page showing how to identify fake batteries.

Anyway. counterfiet doesn't necessarily mean they are bad. Just using the real company logos illegally. One thing to watch out for is that fake batteries may overheat easier than the real ones. If it fries your BB it will probably fry the warranty at the same time.
    04-13-10 03:39 PM
    Agreed. I pretty much live on ebay and amazon. I buy a lot of things. What I have learned is if it sounds to good to be true it is. There are to many people selling "knockoffs" on those places because most people don't know what to look for. I did find that most private listers have the real deal.

On another note Seidio just listed a upgraded 1700mah battery on their site if ur interested. Its 49 I think. Good luck finding a battery.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-14-10 09:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD