I always see people saying to "wipe" the phone and do a fresh install for a new OS, but I thought I also read that the phone is "wiped" as part of any new OS installation regardless. Can anyone confirm/deny this? Also, is Jl cmdr the utility people use to wipe the phone?
    04-12-10 03:02 PM
    unless you are actually have problems with your phone i would not recommend a wipe. A wipe is performed as part of any OS update.

If you have been installing OS hyrids every couple of days a wipe might not be a bad idea either. Those are about the only 2 times i would recommend it
    04-12-10 03:06 PM
    Thanks. I have done numerous OS upgrades (running a hybrid now) and have never wiped the phone. I guess I will stay that course.
    04-12-10 03:19 PM
    wipe, reinstall, repeat
    04-13-10 06:48 PM
    The wipe is really only required if you're having issues. Some of us just prefer to make sure it's clean every time. But there is no rule stating you need to wipe, and no rule stating otherwise. It's personal preference and both methods work.
    04-14-10 01:07 AM
    The simple answer to your question is YES, as howarmat mentioned in the middle of his response.
    04-14-10 06:17 PM
    All OS loads do a wipe when loaded as long as the OS version is LESS THAN or HIGER THEN the current OS loaded on the phone.

A WIPE is only required if you're having a stability issue with the phone where you can't get an OS to load on it OR if you're wanting to reload the SAME OS back on it. Those are the only two conditions a manual javaloader WIPE would be necessary.
    04-14-10 08:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD