Got a used 9000 on the way, what am I going to be missing 4.6 vs. 5.0? (I've been using a 9700 since November)*

My thoughts are to wipe it and install 5.0.x.x straight away but if the differences are negligible I wont bother.
    I don't do much multimedia, mainly email/twitter/sms/bbm/phone.

My carrier (Rogers) newest offering is 4.6.0.477...does the 9000 have the horsepower to run 5.0 effectively? (if so, which version has been found the most "problem free")

Any thoughts appreciated!

*Why? I agonized over the 9000/9700 when I purchased the 9700 (picked it purely on specs) and I'd like to try the other one.
    Last edited by bjack56; 04-12-10 at 08:58 AM. Reason: additional text
    04-12-10 08:55 AM
    DO IT! DO IT! I upgraded from 4.something to 5.0.0.411. There are a few noticeable differences, my favourite one being the WAY faster browser. The one thing I first struggled with was finding the options to change my ringtones and alerts but I sorted that out by getting a new theme.

The worst problem I have with it is that it highlights links on some sites, like on Facebook and I don't really like it, but that's coz I'm just really anal about that. Sometimes my Opera Mini 5 runs a little slow, but I rarely use it, so it doesn't really matter much. The issues are not dealbreakers for me and I'm way enjoying the update...so...I say go for it :-)
    04-12-10 09:08 AM
    The SMS threading is worth the update alone!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-12-10 12:06 PM
    I went with not doing the update to OS 5.0 b/c I didn't feel like dealing with compatibility of certain Apps I have. But I mean some like and some don't as with everything so there is my opinion about upgrading to it. Good Lick with whatever you chose to do.
    04-12-10 01:03 PM
    I went with not doing the update to OS 5.0 b/c I didn't feel like dealing with compatibility of certain Apps I have.
    I held off on upgrading from 4.6.0.304 to 5.0 for a long time for the same reason, but I finally gave in a couple weeks ago. I'm happy with the decision. The only app that I found isn't compatible is AutoStandby, which isn't a deal-breaker for me. Browser is faster, but I mostly use Opera Mini anyway. There are small things like bedside mode allowing a specific profile when enabled...I love that. There are a lot more customizations for profiles, but I use BerryBuzz, which already does those things. Overall, I just feel like OS 5.0 is a better experience.
    04-12-10 02:11 PM
    If you want to update it to OS 5.0, I would suggest you get the 5.0.0592 version. This is the most stable version out yet and I have been using it for 3 weeks now, did not experience any sort of problem. On the other hand, if you like 4.6, then stick to ROGERS 4.6.
    04-12-10 04:18 PM
    Here is all you need to go to find out Link Below, by the way many ppl are running 5.0 OS'es on the 9000 and yes it has more then enough horses to use it.

Official OS 5.0.0.592 BlackBerry 9000, From Azercell

http://forums.crackberry.com/f83/off...ercell-451040/
    04-12-10 06:05 PM
    I held off on upgrading from 4.6.0.304 to 5.0 for a long time for the same reason, but I finally gave in a couple weeks ago. I'm happy with the decision. The only app that I found isn't compatible is AutoStandby, which isn't a deal-breaker for me. Browser is faster, but I mostly use Opera Mini anyway. There are small things like bedside mode allowing a specific profile when enabled...I love that. There are a lot more customizations for profiles, but I use BerryBuzz, which already does those things. Overall, I just feel like OS 5.0 is a better experience.
    I used .509 now on Willyboy's hybrid v3 (which is great btw) and haven't had an issue using AutoStandby. Mine's by Steel Horn software v 2.4.1
    04-12-10 06:11 PM
    Yeah, like the 5.0 much better than the 4.6 Used .509 Wind Hellas which from all reports was really stable, and then this weekend went to Willyboy's 9000 v3, which is based off the above mention .592 build. He has a few of them out, based off different builds, and they're all good as testified by many here in the forums.

I posted above about the AutoStandby program, the only one I had issue with was Profile Scheduler. This does basically what it says and changes your profile on a schedule, several times a day if necessary. There was no versions really, just stated 4.2 and above I believe, but when I contacted the developer about a newer version or if anything was being worked on, the answer was sort of just whatever. It still worked, but you had to fool around with it to get it working, and since it wasn't designed for the last several updates of software and I have a Bold with limited app space, I haven't started using it again, though after this new OS breaks in and I get to see how it's functioning, I may re-install.

What I did was go into the App Store "My Account" area and make sure all my programs would work or could be upgraded to a 5.0 compatible app. You may want to do this, search through the forum for you different apps before you take the plunge.

Have fun with the 9000, which is of course the best BB out there
    04-12-10 06:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD