I have a storm 2 9550 on Verizon with .607 and o have to complain about googles "update" to google maps. I use google maps for everything and whrn I saw they updated the app from 3 to 4 I was very anxious to install it. I love the new terrain and scale features, along with the updated graphics and UI. The voice feature seems like it will be hand too. BUT it looks like they grossly overlooked the storm and storm2 devices. I was really thinking about getting a droid or a nexus one when my contract expires but I wonder noW about their quality control. The update makes the app completely unuseable with the flagship blackberry device and I have seen no indication of another release to fix the issue. Please give me some kind of indication of when the ui isuues will be fixed or give us a way to downgrade back to 3.2.1

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-10-10 05:42 PM
    The problem is only with .607, there is another tread about these issue. I'm runnibg .517 and have no problems with GM
    04-10-10 06:20 PM
    I have Google Maps 4 on a Storm 2 running .607 with no problems. What is happening on yours that is making it unusable.

04-10-10 06:37 PM
    For me, when I do a search, the app just locks up completely. If I press the menu key, the menu will pop up and then I can't do anything. The app won't even close. It just sits there.
    04-10-10 06:40 PM
    A lot of .607 users are having problems with the app locking up from a typed search. I think the voice search may work for them. Running .517, GM 4.0.1 works great. If you've ever backed up your 3rd party apps (you've made a horrible mistake if you've neglected this), you could re-install 3.x from that backup.
    04-10-10 06:46 PM
    @Bud3269 did you have any earlier version of Google Maps or is this the first time you've used it? I wonder if some of us are having problems because we're downloading on top of an older version OR like in my case because we updated to .607 after downloading GM 4.0.1 If some people aren't having problems with it, what is it that you did that I didn't do?
    04-10-10 06:50 PM
    Ok. That workaround does work. (using the voice feature for searching) I haven't tried doing it from the menu (which is where it freezes). I think I'll be fine with this for a minute
    04-10-10 06:56 PM
    I spoke too soon. Now it locks up and I have to exit with the end button. When I open it, it is still screwed up. I installed over GM 3. I'm going to remove and download 4 again.

04-10-10 07:34 PM
    @Bud3269 FYI you're not closing the app when you use the end button. That's why it's still screwed up. The only thing that seems to work is the Voice search option. Maybe it's the Voice Search option that makes it buggy with .607. I'm not sure but definitely DO NOT search the "normal" way on Google Maps with .607
    04-10-10 08:11 PM
    I have had the same experience. Version 3.x worked fine with the .607 upgrade, but I have uninstalled and reinstalled Google Maps 4.0.1 multiple times and it freezes trying to search. Would love to reinstall Version 3.x but all links lead to the newer version. Hope there will be a fix soon.
    04-10-10 08:39 PM
    I have had the same experience. Version 3.x worked fine with the .607 upgrade, but I have uninstalled and reinstalled Google Maps 4.0.1 multiple times and it freezes trying to search. Would love to reinstall Version 3.x but all links lead to the newer version. Hope there will be a fix soon.
    Don't you ever back up your 3rd party apps? It's an excellent way to have access to older versions of software.
    04-10-10 09:53 PM
    I didn't know there was even a google maps four but now I know not to update it

04-10-10 10:24 PM
    Well I can type a search as long as I don't rotate the screen. The voice search does not work at all. And sometimes the menu locks up the whole app requiring a reset or battery pull to try again. I am using .607 I just really hope google fixes it soon.

04-10-10 10:57 PM
    Running .607 and google maps 4.0.1. I have no issues, and I use google Maps regularly.

04-10-10 11:07 PM
    Default permissions to "allow".
    Not great solution but fixed it for me.
    04-10-10 11:46 PM
    i have my 3rd party apps backed up however I've never done it before. From what I've read here even my older GM 3.2.1 might have issues with .607 Not sure what I'll do yet. I wondered what the main differences were between .517 and .607 (not like it might help - I had NO issues with .320 so... there ya go...)
    04-11-10 03:17 AM
    no issues here with the new google maps and new os.
    04-11-10 04:50 AM
    No problems running on .497 on a 9520 apart from the voice recognition not being very accurate, but I put that down to my voice
    04-11-10 06:42 AM
    no issues here with the new google maps and new os.
    Your sig says u are running 148

Are u claiming that searching in G maps, on OS version 607, doesn't lock G maps in a useless state?
    04-11-10 11:48 AM
    Ive been messing with the new google maps with two storms and i'm snapping.

Tried, compatibility mode. No dice.
    The Permissions "move" didn't work either.
    Uninstalled and reinstalled. No difference.
    Loaded the new 9520 Hybrid from todays leak. Nada

This is ********. Way to go on this official OS Verizon.

Digging through backups for the 3.2.1 Version....

Edit. Am i being naive to assume that its our OS and not google? A friends 9700 works great with the new G maps. WTF?
    Last edited by bacon612; 04-11-10 at 07:23 PM.
    04-11-10 07:20 PM
    Does anyone else notice that google maps runs a ton better on 607 though in every other aspect? I would get the spinning clock EVERY time I started up google maps before 607. And randomly if I I was doing anything intensive like moving the map around, zooming in, etc.

04-11-10 09:31 PM
    .607 is the bomb..no issues here..fast as lightning...no pun intended
    04-11-10 09:35 PM
    .607 broke only the manual search function from the menu. Probably due to the changes they made in the keyboard coding and layout.

Google Maps does work fine in fact much better on 607. The voice search works great without any hiccups.

Just hit and hold your Green phone key and say what you are searching for while in Google Maps without hitting your Blackberry button and going to search in the menu and it will work just fine.

And that's also the reason why the Group BBM keyboard has a problem which is easily fixed by hitting new chat then cancel and you can type away.. just one extra step no big deal until they come out with the next leak or official release ...
    04-11-10 09:36 PM
    .607 is the bomb..no issues here..fast as lightning...no pun intended
    Honestly? Please try doing a search..... Your GMaps doesn't hang up?
    04-11-10 10:22 PM
    .607 broke only the manual search function from the menu. Probably due to the changes they made in the keyboard coding and layout.

Google Maps does work fine in fact much better on 607. The voice search works great without any hiccups.

Just hit and hold your Green phone key and say what you are searching for while in Google Maps without hitting your Blackberry button and going to search in the menu and it will work just fine.

And that's also the reason why the Group BBM keyboard has a problem which is easily fixed by hitting new chat then cancel and you can type away.. just one extra step no big deal until they come out with the next leak or official release ...
    While I agree that Gmaps 4 is much better/faster than its predecessor, I find it pretty lame that I have to talk to my phone to search. It gets awkward in public places.
    04-11-10 10:25 PM
85 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD