With all the changes to Lock / Unlock / Password-Lock / Standby functions, here's an explanation of what's up with how to lock your BB now.
    ("Top Left Button" is bezel key with Lock icon, i.e. just "Top Button" for 9900)

• Top Right Button does NOT put BB into Standby
    • Top Right Button now only Mute for Phone & media players
    • Pressing *+SEND now does nothing
    • User info only appears on screen if Password-Locked (booo, RIM!)

WITHOUT Password set, Lock BB by:
    • Holding down A from Homescreen
    • Clicking Top Left Button from any screen
    • Placing BB in stock holster with magnet

WITHOUT Password set, Unlock BB by:
    • Clicking Top Left Button
    • Removing from stock holster

WITH Password Set, initiate Password-Lock by:
    • Clicking Password-Lock icon (icon is only visible if Password Enabled in Options app)
    • (OS5) Clicking K from Homescreen, if Homescreen Dialing is off
    • (OS6+) Clicking K from Homescreen, if Homescreen Preferences has Launch By Typing set to Application Shortcuts
    • Pressing ALT+ENTER from Homescreen
    • Letting your Backlight timeout and dim to black
    • If Lock Handheld Upon Holstering is set to Yes, placing into stock holster

WITH Password Set, Unlock BB by:
    • Entering your password!

WITH Password Set, initiate NON-Password Lock by:
    • Clicking Top Left Button from any screen
    • Holding down A from Homescreen
    • If you have set Lock Handheld Upon Holstering to No, placing into stock holster

WITH Password set, Unlock BB from NON-Password Lock by:
    • Clicking Top Left Button
    • Removing from stock holster, if you have set Lock Handheld Upon Holstering to No

If I've made an error or omitted anything, I'll edit this post. So let me know!
    There may also be some minor exceptions/variations between some of the newer builds, so let me know and I can get more specific.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by elite1; 01-26-12 at 03:32 PM.
    04-10-10 01:45 PM
    Also, if replying please do NOT quote the whole 1st post. If you didn't notice, it's a little loooong�

04-10-10 01:47 PM
    Great info elite, thanks for sharing
    04-10-10 01:53 PM
    Great post, hopefully it will clear up some confusion as there are way too many posts in all the forums about this issue. Is there any way to post this in all the forums that support the 5.XX release such as the 8520/8530?
    04-10-10 02:04 PM
    WOW , why make the new OS's so confusing !
    04-10-10 03:56 PM
    Is there a new way to put the phone in standby to save the battery or is lock the new standby?
    04-10-10 06:24 PM
    Is there a new way to put the phone in standby to save the battery or is lock the new standby?
    My understanding is that, yes, lock is the new standby. Or the new lock incorporates some aspects of both the old lock and the old standby.
    Holstering the device always put it into Standby and unholstering would remove from Standby.
    With the new system it seems that lock and standby are blended as unholstering and unlocking have the same effect.
    Again, I don't for sure, but it seems to be the case.

If anyone is feeling ambitious, you could see if the BB Technical Solution Center has any more info yet. That website is BlackBerry Technical Solution Center.

04-10-10 10:09 PM
    Great post, hopefully it will clear up some confusion as there are way too many posts in all the forums about this issue. Is there any way to post this in all the forums that support the 5.XX release such as the 8520/8530?
    If you or someone else can confirm that a particular device, whether 85XX or any other, has the exact same Lock functionality as the 9700, I'll post this up in that Forum too.

I'm sure the Tour is the same as the 9700, so I'll go drop this over there now.

Oh, if you know the 1st OS build # where this took effect for the relevant device, please include that in your reply too.

04-10-10 10:15 PM
    I have been upgrading OS but downgrade back to 442. Because the top button I can lock but cannot unlock using the same. I am ok on 442.

Weird???
    04-10-10 10:49 PM
    You should be able to unlock with the top left button. Do you have a password or not?

04-10-10 11:19 PM
    thanks for an informative post, though I still kinda miss the pre-.5XX age locking mechanism
    04-11-10 12:58 AM
    Nice and informative.

I've always wondered though: why can't there be a way to lock your device on command, but not having lock when dimming. I would like to be able to hit the lock button on the top or the lock icon and have it go into pw lock ONLY when I do that, and have it just be dim whenever I leave it sitting. Its clearly a silly business world holdover

04-11-10 03:38 AM
    I've always wondered though: why can't there be a way to lock your device on command, but not having lock when dimming. I would like to be able to hit the lock button on the top or the lock icon and have it go into pw lock ONLY when I do that, and have it just be dim whenever I leave it sitting.
    Actually I wondered the same thing while testing out the new format.

Lock When Holstered is an option with Password Enabled.
    So, why isn't Lock When Dimmed? (or something like that)
    04-12-10 05:49 PM
    You should be able to unlock with the top left button. Do you have a password or not?

I know it should work. but mine not. no password used. on 442 it works.
    04-12-10 05:54 PM
    I know it should work. but mine not. no password used. on 442 it works.
    442 was still the previous Lock/Standby functionality, so that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

What is your current OS?

So when your device is Locked and you press the Top Left Button with the picture of the little padlock on it, it does NOT unlock?
    How do you unlock then?
    04-12-10 06:04 PM
    Winning post. Thanks for the clarification
    04-12-10 06:12 PM
    My understanding is that, yes, lock is the new standby. Or the new lock incorporates some aspects of both the old lock and the old standby.
    Holstering the device always put it into Standby and unholstering would remove from Standby.
    With the new system it seems that lock and standby are blended as unholstering and unlocking have the same effect.
    Again, I don't for sure, but it seems to be the case.

If anyone is feeling ambitious, you could see if the BB Technical Solution Center has any more info yet. That website is BlackBerry Technical Solution Center.

Who's right?

What Standby does is to turn off the CPU. Lock does not do this.

In Standby mode, all that runs is some really dumb hardware that just looks ate the radio and checks for incoming message and calls. The rest of the phone is dead UNTIL either an incoming event happens or you bring the phoine out of Standby.

Standby is a real battery saver as it shuts down 90% - ish of the phone.

All that Lock does is to stop random buttons being pressed. There is no battery saving here at all.

Very similar to Standby mode is Holster Mode. This is where you put the phone into its little magnetic pouch which does pretty much what Standmy does except that the ringtones get (optionally) swapped around.

AutoStandby put the [phone into Standnby (or whatever you chosse) under timed software control - no button pressing or holter needed. It too is a real battery saver.

I want this function back and I reckong ot will come back too since it is a real Blackberry unique feature.
    04-12-10 09:40 PM
    442 was still the previous Lock/Standby functionality, so that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

What is your current OS?

So when your device is Locked and you press the Top Left Button with the picture of the little padlock on it, it does NOT unlock?
    How do you unlock then?
    I am now using 442, because I can lock and unlock using the top button. Yes this os version has the lock picture.

Problem arises when I updated to later version like 445...up to 583, did not bother with the leaked 593. I can lock but cannot unlock with top button, this give the black screen. to unlock I have to do a battery pull or when receiving an incoming call.
    04-12-10 11:02 PM
    I am now using 442, because I can lock and unlock using the top button. Yes this os version has the lock picture.

Problem arises when I updated to later version like 445...up to 583, did not bother with the leaked 593. I can lock but cannot unlock with top button, this give the black screen. to unlock I have to do a battery pull or when receiving an incoming call.
    Sorry meant 586 not 583.
    04-12-10 11:05 PM
    Sorry meant 586 not 583.
    And you also meant 545 not 445, but I obviously knew what you meant! All these numbers start to get confusing�

Anyway I don't know what to tell you. It can't be a hardware problem as the button works if it turns your Lock on.

1 random idea: do you have any apps that affect these functions such as Autostandby? If so, maybe disable (if possible) or delete. Maybe there is some crossover�

Otherwise, do you any friends or co-workers with a 9700, Tour, or 8900 that might have a newer OS? You could see how the locking works on their device to isolate your issue.
    The first Tour OS with the new Lock was 484 I believe. For 9700 and 8900, I think it's anything 500+.

04-13-10 02:24 AM
    lol I wish I'd found this post last week when I upgraded my new 9700... I'd only had it a day then and thought ok, I can lock and unlock now I'll backup and upgrade the os, do it and then I cannot unlock the phone I was worried for a while then found the button on the top!

Glad I've found these forums, now I can learn and not seem like such a noob..

btw loving my first bb
    04-13-10 08:34 AM
    My 9700 is still running .405 so all none of my functions have changed

04-13-10 08:48 AM
    WITHOUT a Password set, Lock your BB by:
    � Holding down A from Homescreen
    � Clicking Top Left Button from any screen
    � Placing BB in stock holster with magnet
    WITHOUT a Password set, Unlock your BB by:
    � Clicking Top Left Button
    � Removing from stock holster
    The 9700 is my first Blackberry, but they still don't have the lock/unlock function down right yet.

I don't understand how you can lock and unlock the phone with the same button, especially a button that can be so easily pressed by accident? Even my first Nokia phone 11 years ago allowed me to lock with one key, but required two keys to unlock which prevented accidental unlocking in your pocket.

Evidently RIM does not agree with this, but at least give the option?
    04-13-10 09:00 AM
    And you also meant 545 not 445, but I obviously knew what you meant! All these numbers start to get confusing�

Anyway I don't know what to tell you. It can't be a hardware problem as the button works if it turns your Lock on.

1 random idea: do you have any apps that affect these functions such as Autostandby? If so, maybe disable (if possible) or delete. Maybe there is some crossover�

Otherwise, do you any friends or co-workers with a 9700, Tour, or 8900 that might have a newer OS? You could see how the locking works on their device to isolate your issue.
    The first Tour OS with the new Lock was 484 I believe. For 9700 and 8900, I think it's anything 500+.

I agree with you it does not make sense. On 442 I can lock and unlock with the top button.... telling me the button works fine. But on higher OS I can lock with top button with the black screen BUT cannot unlock?

3 more issues that does not make sense. all used to work.

I cannot do soft reboot, used to be able. alt-a-del
    Power off with red phone button, but cannot power on with the same button. Used to work. Now I have the phone on auto off-on.
    holding alt button I cannot get a series of numbers. I have to press alt button and release to get number. All used to work.
    04-13-10 12:38 PM
    The 9700 is my first Blackberry, but they still don't have the lock/unlock function down right yet.

I don't understand how you can lock and unlock the phone with the same button, especially a button that can be so easily pressed by accident? Even my first Nokia phone 11 years ago allowed me to lock with one key, but required two keys to unlock which prevented accidental unlocking in your pocket.

Evidently RIM does not agree with this, but at least give the option?
    Totally agree with you.
    04-13-10 12:39 PM
117 123 ...