I got a replacement Tour yesterday through the mail due to a nuked Tour. anyway, I get my Tour, and notice right away that it has a soft rubber trackball. So soft that you can press down on the trackball hard enough to make it go flat lol!

at first I didn't know what to think about it, but after a day of using it, I REALLY like the new trackball the Tour came with! Much easier to control and much quieter as well when scrolling. I like having much more grip from the rubber on the trackball VS that hard plastic trackballs I normally always have had on my Tours.

anyone else have a Soft Rubber trackball on there Tour? What do you think about it?
    04-10-10 07:28 AM
    Yep the same here I received a replacement and discovered the same thing, and I agree I actually do like the feel of the rubber ball better. Unfortunately I am waiting on another replacement and I'm hoping that one comes with the same type of trackball.
    04-10-10 10:01 AM
    My refurb came with a "softer" trackball than my OG Tour and had a powdery substance on it right out of the box. The powder went away with usage and my trackball has been flawless (knock wood) since.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-10-10 10:10 AM
    Looking all over to get one of these for my 8900, cant find them anywhere though. Hopefully the usual places will get them soon.
    04-10-10 10:13 AM
    IMO RIM should have had these soft rubber trackball on all there Tours from day one.. there really nice!
    04-10-10 10:15 AM
    how do u know if you have one? i got a replacement tour about a week ago...
    04-10-10 11:42 AM
    I've got a soft replacement as well. Hated it for a day or two but love it now!

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    04-10-10 11:58 AM
    Just got a new one for an upgrade and it has one.
    04-10-10 12:31 PM
    Yes, my trackball is like that too. The battery door is also tight on my replacement Tour. Guess i'm glad it bricked.

04-10-10 12:40 PM
    Yes, my trackball is like that too. The battery door is also tight on my replacement Tour. Guess i'm glad it bricked.

You got a new batt. Door w/ your replacement? When I got my refurb I was directed to only return the actual Tour. Keep my battery and door and just return the phone to Vzw.

04-10-10 12:52 PM
    Yes, i did. i'm not sure why, but VZW shipped me a new Tour not a refurb. It came with a tight battery door, different feeling trackball and OS 5.0.0.591 already loaded.

04-10-10 12:57 PM
    Got one from Sprint the other day and noticed the same thing. It feels completely different from the original trackball.
    04-10-10 01:32 PM
    These are replacements straight from the service provider, not insurance refurbs? I got an insurance replacement phone about 3 weeks ago and my trackball feels the same and it came with the stock OS.
    04-10-10 11:18 PM
    Yeah mine has the rubber trackball as well. I was sent a new battery cover as well but didn't need it since I have the 2600 MAh battery in mine.

I really like the rubber trackball so far. Hopefully it stays working like it is.
    04-11-10 12:06 AM
    These are replacements straight from the service provider, not insurance refurbs? .
    yes, these are the ones from the service providers.

I also was sent the battery door as well, but since I also use the 2600 battery, I didn't need the new battery door, so I sent it back with the old Tour.

I really like this new soft rubber trackball a lot!
    04-11-10 07:55 AM
    My Tour I got new 3 weeks ago doesn't have a rubber ball, but still feels nicer than my old Curve. The whole device has a solid feel, with none of the build issues I read about from the earlier devices. Still lovin' it.

04-11-10 08:02 AM
    I got a replacement Tour yesterday through the mail due to a nuked Tour. anyway, I get my Tour, and notice right away that it has a soft rubber trackball. So soft that you can press down on the trackball hard enough to make it go flat lol!

at first I didn't know what to think about it, but after a day of using it, I REALLY like the new trackball the Tour came with! Much easier to control and much quieter as well when scrolling. I like having much more grip from the rubber on the trackball VS that hard plastic trackballs I normally always have had on my Tours.

anyone else have a Soft Rubber trackball on there Tour? What do you think about it?
    I got a replacement Tour yesterday as well because I "nuked" my original device. I HATE the new trackball. It is even more recessed than the older devices and it just feels so mushy. You basically need to shove your whole finger into the phone to register a click. Combine that with a full body case and the trackball might as well not even exist! I called back Verizon and let them know I was sending back the replacement.
    04-11-10 11:05 AM
    My daughter and I both needed to replace our Tours for different reasons about 2-3 months ago. Both had this "new" track ball. We both HATED it! At that time, no one here really mentioned it, nor responded to my posts about it. I truly thought they were defective and sent them back.

They were replaced two more times, with the same track ball. I asked tech support if they were hearing anything about defective replacements going out. Of course they said no.

I just sent the most recent replacements back this past week. I'm not sure if I would have kept them if I'd seen this thread first, because I really, really hated the feel of it. It seemed so much less precise, and for lack of a better way of saying it, so much more "work" to use.

Ugh, thinking we're both going to have to live with our current problems until we can upgrade....another year from now!! Ugh again.
    04-11-10 11:37 AM
    My Tour has a soft rubber trackball. I didnt even realize it was one of the soft ones until I picked up my friends Tour and realized that his trackball has a very different feel to it.
    04-11-10 01:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD