Hi all,

Joined the BB world yesterday lunchtime after moving from the iPhone to a 9700 Bold.

I'm in I.T. professionally and a bit of a "phone geek" so I've spent the last 24 hours playing with the handset, this is what I have done so far, anyone else have any good recommendations of apps or tips? Not necessarilly 9700 specific. Just looking to make the most of my BB.

So far from App World I have installed the following :

Facebook
    Twitter
    Windows Live Messenger
    Nimbuzz
    Paypal
    LinkedIn

Also :

Opera Mini
    Google Mobile App + Google Maps

Anything I missed? I did notice a quirk with Google Maps where the phone deined it access to Cross Application Permissions but I sorted that by going into the default permissions and changing it to Deny, then back to Allow and saving it.

Cheers

Paul.
    04-10-10 06:25 AM
    Hi,

I just made the same change a week ago and have very similar apps

The only other things I have are

Google Sync (got my calendars/contacts nicely in sync now)

Mini Monitor (O2's Fair usage policy seems very low so this show me how much data I am using)
    04-10-10 06:35 AM
    Keyboard shortcuts
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/tip-...ortcuts-13131/

101 Lectures
    Check out the BlackBerry 101 How-To Lecture Series ! This will help you with the basics such as downloading apps, themes, wallpaper, ringtones. It's also a good idea to browse the forums and read as much as possible. Many questions you have are answered there already!

Some Apps
    DriveSafe.ly

DriveSafe.ly is a service that
    makes TXTing and E-Mail safe while driving.

Here's what it offers:

* A service that reads your TXT and E-Mails out loud.
    * An Auto-Responder for TXT and E-Mails.
    * The best premium voices.

Yourmuze (streams AM/FM radio): Not logged in | Moodio
    04-10-10 06:42 AM
    WeatherBug: I highly recommend the free version. I've tried just about every Weather App out there and I find this to be the best, especially considering it's free!

Viigo: RSS Reader. If you are into RSS feeds, this is pretty much the de facto standard of any BlackBerry geek.

Pandora: If you enjoy streaming music on occasion.

ScoreMobile: Are you into any of the major sports? If so, this is what you want to keep up on your favorite team(s). It even lists the latest lines, just in case you're a gambling degenerate like me! :-)

Poynt: A great app. White Pages, Yellow Pages for business, Movie Times/Order Tickets, Restaurant locator/info, local gas prices and the ability to map it all. It works with your device GPS. It will also work with your GPS deactivated, albeit not quite as accurate.

Padersync SSH or Rove Mobile SSH: Need to connect to your servers remotely? Either of these will do nicely. If you are turned off by the cost of these apps. You could try midpssh or BBSSH (a souped up version of midpssh).

Enjoy!
    04-10-10 06:52 AM
    BerryWeather-A++++ app, the best
    Google Maps
    Opera Mini
    App Superstore
    Viigo
    CaptureIt
    RIM Twitter Client

Enjoy your 9700
    04-10-10 07:38 AM
    Berryweather is by far the best weather app for Blackberry

Berrybuzz is by FAR the best app to customize your LED light settings.. an update yesterday to Berrybuzz makes it by far the best app for Blackberrys period.

Welcome to the Blackberry world!!!!!
    04-10-10 07:42 AM
    I like to have all the IM programs I use on my computer on my BB. I see you have Windows Live Messenger. It wouldn't hurt to have yahoo and aim at your disposal, too. Yahoo in particular is good because it's the only one I have found so far that allows you to send messages to offline contacts. I just downloaded google talk yesterday just to have it even though I don't use it. I leave all these IM programs on all the time. Multitasking

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by T�nis; 04-10-10 at 08:45 AM.
    04-10-10 08:41 AM
    Seems like more and more iPhone users are defecting to Blackberries.... Good choice!

Apps I have are Weatherbug, Poynt,Scoremobile,Boltv2, Opera5,a few different themes and some others I can't remember, lol!

Enjoy your 9700! It is a fantastic phone.
    04-10-10 09:31 AM
    If you really like messing with your phone then try using shrink a os and become familiar with upgrading/downgrading.
    04-10-10 10:49 AM
    Bolt Browser is good if you want to view full html web pages, instead of mobile web pages. Bolt Browser - Download
    04-10-10 11:01 AM
    Once you get more familiar with the phone, I highly recommend Quicklaunch. It will enhance your productivity with the phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-10-10 04:12 PM
    You must get Opera. Also I found a little file program called Beam Explorer on BB World too which is very nice. One set of apps are Google's since I have a Gmail account. I use Google Voice to save on texting fees and just have it e-mail me but when I need to compose a SMS I fire up the app, send the message, then close it to save battery. Also I use Sync, Maps, and Mail.
    04-11-10 12:01 PM
    Give SmrtGuard, GoogleSync and UpVise a look. They might come in handy.
    If you want a RSS reader, check Viigo.

Welcome and enjoy!
    04-11-10 07:51 PM
    Get a big media card to transfer all your music and photos. I find playing with shortcut keys like cut and paste is kind neat and fun to learn.
    04-11-10 11:03 PM
    Congrats!

QuickLaunch as chrisy520 mentioned & Tether (formerly known as TetherBerry).

Both can be found in the CrackBerry App Store.
    04-11-10 11:29 PM
    Also... I recommend BeeJiveIM. Best IM application out there from my experience. Try it out as there is a 30 day trial.
    04-11-10 11:30 PM
    Hi all,

Joined the BB world yesterday lunchtime after moving from the iPhone to a 9700 Bold.

I'm in I.T. professionally and a bit of a "phone geek" so I've spent the last 24 hours playing with the handset, this is what I have done so far, anyone else have any good recommendations of apps or tips? Not necessarilly 9700 specific. Just looking to make the most of my BB.

So far from App World I have installed the following :

Facebook
    Twitter
    Windows Live Messenger
    Nimbuzz
    Paypal
    LinkedIn

Also :

Opera Mini
    Google Mobile App + Google Maps

Anything I missed? I did notice a quirk with Google Maps where the phone deined it access to Cross Application Permissions but I sorted that by going into the default permissions and changing it to Deny, then back to Allow and saving it.

Cheers

Paul.
    poynt. It's light on resources and very handy
    04-12-10 12:03 AM
    Oh yeah, and if you're a phone geek, you may want to check out MeterBerry. It will help you track battery drainage, memory and temperature of the phone. I'm pretty anal about checking it every time I use the phone. Heh.
    04-12-10 12:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD