Okay, I realize there are hundreds of "How do I install <name> Hybrid on Tour?" threads, but I can't seem to find one that covers the questions I seem to have. I suppose I'll start from the very basic, can't believe that I a computer science major is so far behind the curve, question and move up from there.

First, what are the advantages or disadvantages of Hybrid OS's? I have always ever used Official OS releases, except when I really wanted 5.0 and deleted the vendor.xml file to get it on my Verizon Tour. However, I am now up to date with Verizon's official version (only because PTT wouldn't work without it).

What exactly is Hybrid? To me it would seem that it is a OS that someone has taken and rebuilt. But I have also read posts that make me think it is, essentially, the same as a Leaked OS.

Would I lose some of the things that come with Verizon's official OS release? PTT, Application Center (something that I could only get if I had an official version of Verizon OS), BackupAssistant, and I think there might be a couple other Verizon Specific.

Now, I've also seen different named Hybrids out there. What is a good one for a Verizon Tour? Or a list of good ones with comparative features?

Finally, do all Hybrid's install the same or should I wait on looking for install instructions when/if I decide on a Hybrid?

Thanks guys & girls.
    04-09-10 12:38 PM
    Hey, so I was once like you all nervous with lots of questions. The truth is that there are a lot of hybrids and sites but I only use driphter.com
    The guy has been making them forever and in my opinion they r the best. You can find all your answers on the site and become a user there for free, or become vip which has a lot more perks. But all the best hybrids with answers where noone wil berate u for asking what might be a "silly" question. Gluck and post if u have any other questions.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-09-10 02:22 PM
    I too have driphter installed. version 10.1.1 I believe and it runs flawlessly. I had a little trouble with my install, but I think that was more of my error. Once you get the hang of it, its like installing any other OS. And IMO you benefit by being able to use the new software without all the bugs, as it is a nice blend of what works about the new software, and what works about the old software...take the leap! And if you need help, the people here on crackberry or the driphter.com website are great...driphter is great about responding and response times are quick!

GOOD LUCK!!
    04-09-10 02:52 PM
    So basically the hybrid takes Official and Leaked OS's and makes them not so buggy? I think I'm going to give Driphter a try, as long as I don't lose any of my verizon applications. I know I couldn't used PPT or Application Manager without an official verizon OS.
    04-09-10 03:35 PM
    Driphter is the way to go. I'm pretty sure the v10 hybrid is for use with the new Verizon. I don't need the PTT so I didn't use it. Good instructions there, make sure to read all the instructional posts and you'll be just fine. If you can upgrade an OS, you can load a hybrid, just go step by step.
    04-10-10 01:01 AM
    First, what are the advantages or disadvantages of Hybrid OS's? I have always ever used Official OS releases, except when I really wanted 5.0 and deleted the vendor.xml file to get it on my Verizon Tour. However, I am now up to date with Verizon's official version (only because PTT wouldn't work without it).

What exactly is Hybrid? To me it would seem that it is a OS that someone has taken and rebuilt. But I have also read posts that make me think it is, essentially, the same as a Leaked OS.
    A hybrid OS is a compilation of different (and often the best) leaked/official OS files from different BlackBerry devices. Put together, they result in quick and snappy OS that performs better than the stock, official operating systems for your BlackBerry device.

Would I lose some of the things that come with Verizon's official OS release? PTT, Application Center (something that I could only get if I had an official version of Verizon OS), BackupAssistant, and I think there might be a couple other Verizon Specific.
    Not necessarily. PTT does work on some hybrids. Application Center and BackupAssistant are pushed to VZW devices by default, so it will still work.

Now, I've also seen different named Hybrids out there. What is a good one for a Verizon Tour? Or a list of good ones with comparative features?
    Driphter and his crew at dcom make excellent hybrids. Versions 8.2 and 10.1.1 are the latest versions to be released to the public. They are quite excellent and I recommend them highly.

BBHybrids is another place where you can search for hybrids, but it seems like the activity there has died down. Nevertheless you can still find quality hybrids there such as TA's 9.8.1 and rbracht's .607 Full Java.

Finally, do all Hybrid's install the same or should I wait on looking for install instructions when/if I decide on a Hybrid?
    Some are done using installers, so all the work is done for you. Just load the base OS, run the hybrid installer, then shrink out everything you don't need from the OS. Run Loader.app, and done.

The others are done manually, but if you know how to work with folders in Windows it's pretty easy. Just unzip/rar the file, overwrite some folders, run shrink, run loader, done.

Hope this helps!
    04-10-10 05:14 AM
    A hybrid OS is a compilation of different (and often the best) leaked/official OS files from different BlackBerry devices. Put together, they result in quick and snappy OS that performs better than the stock, official operating systems for your BlackBerry device.

Not necessarily. PTT does work on some hybrids. Application Center and BackupAssistant are pushed to VZW devices by default, so it will still work.

Driphter and his crew at dcom make excellent hybrids. Versions 8.2 and 10.1.1 are the latest versions to be released to the public. They are quite excellent and I recommend them highly.

BBHybrids is another place where you can search for hybrids, but it seems like the activity there has died down. Nevertheless you can still find quality hybrids there such as TA's 9.8.1 and rbracht's .607 Full Java.

Some are done using installers, so all the work is done for you. Just load the base OS, run the hybrid installer, then shrink out everything you don't need from the OS. Run Loader.app, and done.

The others are done manually, but if you know how to work with folders in Windows it's pretty easy. Just unzip/rar the file, overwrite some folders, run shrink, run loader, done.

Hope this helps!
    Well done with explanation.
    04-10-10 08:21 AM

Hope this helps!
    Thank you for the advice. It really answers a lot of questions for me and helps me decide where I need to go from here. I'll head over to dcom and read up on what they have on their forums.

Thanks to everyone for your replies. Tremendous help.
    04-10-10 02:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD