All,

I am a seasoned BlackBerry Veteran and have been using just about every type of smart-phone since their inception. I have recently moved from a Bold 9000 to a new Storm 9550 which I bought on eBay from a Verizon user in the USA (I am from Australia). With the 9000 I had absolutely no issue using the Desktop Manager and connecting the 9000 as an IP modem. I have since transferred all my settings and data to the Storm 9550 and trying to use it as an IP Modem (via USB Cable as the DM does not support IP Modem over BT). Whenever I am just about to connect I get a dialogue box saying:

"The connected device is currently in global roaming mode and Blackberry Desktop Manager cannot start an IP Modem connection with the selected settings profile. Select a different profile or contact your wireless service provider to ask about global roaming support"

I am currently on the Optus network and I am using the built in profile for the Optus network which has served me well over the past year. The phone is currently NOT set to Global mode in the Mobile options but is locked to UMTS. I have trawled the web over the last couple of weeks for answers but cannot find any. Its driving me mad. I have tested putting my SIM into a BlackBerry 8100 using the exact same settings and it works fine which leads me to believe there is something on the phone that I am missing. I have also tried my 9550 on my home PC and I get the same error. over the last two weeks I have managed to get the 9550 to connect once without the error and allowed my to surf without issue.

Any help on this would be appreciated .
    04-09-10 01:03 AM
    Instead of using DM have you ever tried "tether" formerly tetherberry. Its a great app. I've heard of people having problems setting up through dm. Tether you just install on pc, then on BB hook up to pc through usb or Bluetooth, and you're good to go. Very easy. While the app is somewhat pricey at $50 USD you have a trial period of a week. Give it a try. Its worth a shot. you can get it through tether.com or app world. Hope this helps.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-09-10 08:28 AM
    Thanks for your reply WhoolioPreludee, but paying $50 for a feature that is supposed to work free of charge is not good for me. I'm sure somebody out there in the wide world of the web has encountered this issue before !!!

Anybody ???
    04-11-10 07:19 PM
    see if you can maybe change the prl to your new service providers, Via QPST.. the phone thinks it's roaming globaly and that'll block that feature i beleive or maybe see if your service provider has an os for your phone.
    04-11-10 07:33 PM
    hows the internet work on the phone itself ?
    04-11-10 07:34 PM
    The internet on the phone works fine, in fact, everything else on the phone works fine. I can make/receive calls, have an active BBerry connection via 3G and WLAN, send receive SMS and MMS and can install all sorts of Apps via the App store or through DM. I just cant figure out why my 9550 wont let me use it as a modem.

You mentioned changing your PRL, im not sure what you mean. Is there a link you can advise me of that instructs me on how to do this. I have typed ##000000 and changed my MCC and MNC to reflect my new carrier in Australia but with no luck.

Unfortunately the 9550 isn't sold here so I am unable to get a local firmware for it.
    04-11-10 07:50 PM
    ah i don't think that'll work then im outta ideas sorrry. maybe try this not sure if it will help Global Roaming
    04-11-10 08:09 PM
    I have the exact same problem on same phone from vzn unlocked with os .607 modem mode does not work and will not initiate via bb dm I get the same error about global roaming and using win 7 dialup I get error 678, on os .517 and the os .320 works fine. I'm in bangkok with ais network/carrier.
    Which os are you using? I would recommend downgrading from os .607 if you need modem mode as nothing I have done or changed has made it work on that os and reading the os.607 thread I have come to an conclusion that it is buggy as **** and not worth headache to use.
    I don't use bb dm nor tetherberry but win 7 dialup aslong as you setup a dialup connection to dialup to your service provider, also make sure device manager is loaded and connected, you can use bb dm to setup a dialup connection and after that just use the dialup with out the bb dm. If you use windows check your control panel device manager under modems go into the standard modem properties and under the diagnostics tab query the modem and make sure it says 9550 success, and enable your apn on your phone in options/advanced options/tcp/ip.
    check with your network/carrier if you need to input anything in the apn settings sometimes enabling it is just fine but all depends on network/carrier!
    hope this helps.
    cheers
    smack
    Last edited by smackberry O.D; 04-11-10 at 09:14 PM.
    04-11-10 08:50 PM
    I am also a seasoned smart phone user, in my opnion vendor tethering has always been difficult, expensive and most of all, not very reliable. I second the "tether" app. I don't understand what you mean when you say paying for something that's supposed to work free of charge. Do get charged using it anyway?

04-11-10 09:01 PM
    Dumb question but, the Verizon Sim card isn't installed is it?

04-11-10 09:05 PM
    Dumb question but, the Verizon Sim card isn't installed is it?

doubt it im pretty sure his carrier is gsm...
    04-11-10 09:09 PM
    IP modem is not enabled on GSM for world phones, such as 9530, 9550 etc

You can only tether on those devices using the CDMA network
    04-28-10 04:47 AM
    Hi
    I'm in Colombia and have the exact same problem.
    So there's no way to fix it?

Please help somebody help us!
    05-07-10 12:53 AM
    Hello Everyone.
    This is my first post and I believe I managed to get around this "issue" with verizon unlocked devices.

I do have some experience using blackberries and tethering with them, yet somehow I couldn't get my brand new unlocked verizon wireless 9550 to work while my bold worked just fine. I'm in Brazil, using a local GSM carrier (Claro).

After reflashing it countless times and trying about every single tether method that is out there, I got stuck with the idea that something verizon put on that firmware was preventing it from working the way it should.

To confirm my suspicion I started to look around for other carriers that used the same platform as verizon for their 9550s, after googleing for a bit I found out that telus does, so I've downloaded this firmware: Device Software release 5.0.0.497 / Platform 4.2.0.124 / OS 5.0.0.320 Telus Mobility (pick the storm 2 please )

After the upgrade/downgrade (depends on how you look at it hehe) was done, I was surprised to see that it is now working just fine, I am now, able to connect from the desktop manager, using windows, and it's also working flawlessly with my macbook pro via bluetooth dun.

The verizon branding is still there, so I'm not sure if I upgrade the firmware using the desktop manager will break it all again, but I'm happy the way it is right now.

Please let me know if it works for you guys, I am very happy that I'm able to finally use my phone properly after paying about a thousand dollars for it.
    Last edited by kkonig; 05-12-10 at 05:48 AM.
    05-12-10 05:46 AM
    Dear Kkonig,

Your findings sounds very encouriging and I wanted to try it right away. The only problem is that I have Storm 9500 and the link you gave for Telsus OSs only have the OS for 9530. Even though I have tried to install it on my 9500 (9530 is almost the same phone), it says new OS installed, but it actually does not get installed for some reason.

Is there any chance you have found other posts which other carriers' OSs support IP modem function in global roaming mode? I have been googling for quite some time and your post was the only one I have found saying that a solution has been found.

Please let me know if you know of a link/OS version for BB 9500!

Good job by the way, glad it's working for you!

Thanks for your help!

(..) after googleing for a bit I found out that telus does, so I've downloaded this firmware: Device Software release 5.0.0.497 / Platform 4.2.0.124 / OS 5.0.0.320 Telus Mobility (pick the storm 2 please )

After the upgrade/downgrade (depends on how you look at it hehe) was done, I was surprised to see that it is now working just fine. (...)

Please let me know if it works for you guys, I am very happy that I'm able to finally use my phone properly after paying about a thousand dollars for it.
    06-20-10 11:10 AM
    Just out of curiosity, did your Google search engine come back, or is it still just Bing?
    06-20-10 03:20 PM
    Dear Kkonig,

Your findings sounds very encouriging and I wanted to try it right away. The only problem is that I have Storm 9500 and the link you gave for Telsus OSs only have the OS for 9530. Even though I have tried to install it on my 9500 (9530 is almost the same phone), it says new OS installed, but it actually does not get installed for some reason.

Is there any chance you have found other posts which other carriers' OSs support IP modem function in global roaming mode? I have been googling for quite some time and your post was the only one I have found saying that a solution has been found.

Please let me know if you know of a link/OS version for BB 9500!

Good job by the way, glad it's working for you!

Thanks for your help!
    Hey,
    yeah it's not the same phone, tho.
    I don't think 5.0.0.320 is available for the storm 1, but I could be wrong.
    Do you have a verizon unlocked storm or it's from another brand?
    06-21-10 09:40 AM
    The only problem is that I have Storm 9500 and the link you gave for Telsus OSs only have the OS for 9530. Even though I have tried to install it on my 9500 (9530 is almost the same phone), it says new OS installed, but it actually does not get installed for some reason.
    Even though the hardware is essentially the same (9500 vs 9530), you cannot install an OS for one to the other - it will not work! Since Telus carried the 9530 you will not be able to install any of their released OSs on an 9500.
    06-21-10 09:55 AM
    well i having the same problem with my 9530 my lady has the same phone there both unlocked im on the tmobile network. but when i try it. it gives me the same errror but on my ladys phone i can do it with no problem her phone works just fine all the time
    08-22-10 05:46 AM
    I use to have problem. But latest os resolved. Rim stated in their os upgrade specs on the modem issue. Pls check ensure u got no tcp/ip setting under verizon and from dm configure the correct data network. Also on correct mobile network.

Last edited by titusilvering; 08-22-10 at 08:05 AM.
    08-22-10 07:58 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD