Just in case you haven't noticed it, Google released version 4.0.1 (update from 3.2.1) which fixes the bug preventing the GPS from getting a fix and you having to rely on a cell triangulation. Now, it finds me down to 10 meters. A Huge improvement.

Go to Google Maps for mobile to downoad.

Special thanks to larimer77 in the google forums for all his help.
    04-08-10 09:40 AM
    Yep. We all got it and have been discussing it in about 5 different threads since yesterday.

I think it's much faster than the previous version.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-08-10 10:09 AM
    And I think none of them were here on the 85xx forums, so his post is valid.

Good news for the 8530 users!

Here on my 8520 it suddently started showing some places on my map. Quite nice, but most of them are not where they should be hehe.

Oh and I can't edit Favotite's names anymore. It sticks to the address now.
    04-08-10 10:25 AM
    And I think none of them were here on the 85xx forums, so his post is valid.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f143/go...8530-a-449427/
    04-08-10 11:06 AM
    I just get a gateway error when I try to go there but the site is supposed to be www.m.google.com/maps
    04-08-10 11:40 AM
    This version doesn't frequently display the clock like the last version... The last version was crap.
    04-08-10 12:33 PM
    for some reason its showing me as being 20 miles from my actual location when i lose GPS signal. there's somethign still wrong with google maps
    04-08-10 12:58 PM
    Great, now Google latitude captures my exact location!
    04-08-10 08:16 PM
    for some reason its showing me as being 20 miles from my actual location when i lose GPS signal. there's somethign still wrong with google maps
    I doubt something is wrong with google maps.

When I used to go to DC and sit in my brother's house - Google Maps would place me in downtown LONDON, UK. That's right as in England. So obviously I would think something is wrong with google maps. Did some testing.

It appears google maps uses a few different ways to figure out your location:
    Device GPS
    Cell Phone Tower Triangulation
    IP Address of WiFi networks around you

The last one seems odd but very true. And sometimes IP address of routers aren't correctly recognized. There is a solution for that.

Google has a form you can fill out: https://services.google.com/fb/forms/wifibugs/

Enter in all the IP addresses around you by using this link: MAC Address Viewer.

Then fill out the form and it will correctly update its database of wifi locations.
    04-09-10 11:17 AM
    I just get a gateway error when I try to go there but the site is supposed to be www.m.google.com/maps

drop the "www"

just: Google Maps for mobile
    04-09-10 11:42 AM
    Before the latest release Google Maps would also toss me to places like London or random cities in South America, despite sitting in my yard 20 miles outside DC. My theory was that was Google's way of saying it had no idea where the heck I was. Now, the GPS can find me right down to 10m, so whatever the problem was it is gone (for me).

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-09-10 02:35 PM
    I like that it now finds my exact location.... now if we could only get it to speak directions...
    04-09-10 06:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD