Hey all, I just got my new Curve for Verizon and I love it! I was wondering if I needed to only leave it plugged in until it was fully charged or if it was okay to leave plugged in overnight. I know some phones won't hold a charge as well if they are charged for too long.
    06-21-08 01:39 AM
    I usually charge mine with the USB while at my desk and it does not take that long to charge. But the RIM Lithium Ion batteries have an integrated microchip that prevents overcharging & is supposed to lengthen the battery life.
    Others may know more from experience!
    06-21-08 01:50 AM
    I always charge mine overnight when I charge it and I haven't seen any change in the battery life. Congrats on your Curve - they're the best!
    06-21-08 01:53 AM
    Thanks guys
    Didn't want to mess it up already haha
    06-21-08 02:01 AM
    I use a usb to charge my device (overnight).... not as much power going through it. If I plan on going someone and I need a charge, I usually use the outlet.

Technically it can overcharge, but the battery "suspends" charging when it reaches its max.
    06-21-08 02:10 AM
    I was wondering, so this is good to know
    06-21-08 08:40 AM
    For the most part, with the current technology, the days of messing up the memory of rechargable batteries or over charging is a thing of the past. It is wise to check and ask though. My battery is almost a year old and I still get a full day out of it charging all night.
    06-21-08 08:46 AM
    WOW! This is a great thread with some useful information. I've been very cognizant of how often I'm charging my battery, and am careful to use up as much as possible of the life of it before recharging it.The problem is it's been very hard to time when the battery runs out so I've been slipping and sometimes charging at 35% left. Glad to hear I'm not screwing up anything!
    06-21-08 09:02 AM
    WOW! This is a great thread with some useful information. I've been very cognizant of how often I'm charging my battery, and am careful to use up as much as possible of the life of it before recharging it.The problem is it's been very hard to time when the battery runs out so I've been slipping and sometimes charging at 35% left. Glad to hear I'm not screwing up anything!
    Go all willy nilly with it ! Plug that puppy up when ya feel like it. Sometimes, just to have a completely charged battery for the evening, I'll use my car charger from time to time during the day when I'm rolling. Charging it off and on during the day and leaving it plugged up all night hasn't hurt it once.
    06-21-08 10:22 AM
    It is recommended that you frequently top off the battery whenever possible.
    06-21-08 10:24 AM
    Good to know its recomended to top of the battery. I knew the BB stopped charging when it was fully charged

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-21-08 01:01 PM
    I was just wondering about this. Good to know.
    06-21-08 01:48 PM
    I have two batteries. A seido high cap battery for the 8330 and the one it came with. I always have one of them constantly charging while I'm at home or at work. Having 2 batteries is nice. I'm guaranteed a battery pull once a day, and that's the beauty of it!! Never get caught with any power people!! That would be an ugly thing!!!

06-21-08 02:00 PM
    glad i read this. thanks guys
    06-21-08 02:47 PM
    Thanks - just got a BB Curve and was wondering about the charging (over charging)- getting this info so quickly was amazing. Nice forum - will be checking it out.
    06-23-09 05:36 PM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/cha...-charge-26032/

Maximum Battery Life - BlackBerryFAQ

I suggest reading the second one. There is also a very helpful post in the first link about battery life.

06-23-09 06:02 PM
    real good to know
    06-23-09 06:43 PM
    Yeah i jus got the new BB Curve from verizon. the battery isnt so great on it, although the one nite i lefting it charging the whole nite the battery did much better the next day. Glad to know i wont hurt it by doing it all the time =D hopefully it'l keep the battery where it needs to be
    02-01-10 05:38 PM
    I usually charge mine with the USB while at my desk and it does not take that long to charge. But the RIM Lithium Ion batteries have an integrated microchip that prevents overcharging & is supposed to lengthen the battery life.
    Others may know more from experience!
    i dont suggest charging from a usb port on your computer, all though it does charge your phone,the cable you are using is called a sync cable, meaning it is used to sync your phone with data, it does charge it also, but only with 2 volts vs. a wallout charger with 12 volts. it will charge your phone but over time it will break down the battery, just a suggestion
    02-01-10 06:49 PM
    i dont suggest charging from a usb port on your computer, all though it does charge your phone,the cable you are using is called a sync cable, meaning it is used to sync your phone with data, it does charge it also, but only with 2 volts vs. a wallout charger with 12 volts. it will charge your phone but over time it will break down the battery, just a suggestion
    I'm curious as to where you have come up with this info...

From what I understand the usb out put is always between 4.75 and 5.25 volts. using a wall charger, computer, or car charger makes no difference as to the voltage out put... As far as I know all sources are just fine to charge your phone.

Now there is some minimum specs that usb has in place for amperage... .5 mA for suspended devices, 100mA at start up, and 500mA constant. My understanding is that all usbb sources use these specs.
    02-01-10 07:11 PM
    LiOn batteries, that's what we use here.

Charging slow or fast does nothing to the battery life.

Depleting the battery will damage it more quickly. In fact, letting the output of the battery fall below 3V is a very bad idea. Below that it gets damaged quickly.

Charge it a little or charge it a lot. Charge it fast or charge it slow, it makes no difference. Period.
    02-01-10 09:40 PM
    Yep, I charge mine every night (all night) no matter what the status of the battery is. The battery is every bit as strong as the day I bought it almost a year ago.
    02-03-10 07:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD