Im trying to decide which to go to when the new BB Bold 9650 comes out. Being that the phone isnt 4G capable, 4G issues are out of the picture. I want to know which of the two carriers, Sprint or Verizon, are going to be the better choice. Price differences are obvious. Which network is faster and more reliable. Sprint has the Nascar App but is it any good or reliable in terms of time delays? Verizon has a better selection of smart phones. I live in Oklahoma City, if that helps at all... I have TMO right now and their 3G comes and goes all the time on my 9700. Sometimes, the TMO signal disappears completely while driving on the highway in the city.

P.S. Im also trying to decide between the Storm2 and 9650, if Verizon is the clear choice despite their high pricing. And any help getting my BB to pull in my work email would be greatly appreciated. Work uses Exchange 2010 w/o a BES server on it. The phone fails authentication 100% of the time and IT director doesnt know why either.

Thanks ahead of time...
    04-07-10 01:51 PM
    Not really sure what to tell you here. I don't have evidence but Verizon does have the best network in the US. I have maybe one dropped call on Verizon every 3 blue moons. Interesting because I never really hear too much about Sprint whether or not their network holds up well.

I'm probably gonna go ahead and say that Verizon will probably be the most expensive between the two on your monthly bills. Verizon has the Storm 2 and Sprint doesn't. I have been on Verizon since early 2001 and have never had any issues. Again I CAN'T speak against Sprint because I have never used their service but I won't be wrong in telling you that you most likely won't be mad at yourself for going with Verizon.

By the way I think if you sign up for Verizon you have a trial period where you can cancel your contract with them with no penalties and switch to another carrier if you want. Sprint prob has the same thing on their end, look into it.
    04-07-10 02:02 PM
    I switched from Sprint to Verizon. Sprint to me had pretty bad customer service and phone coverage was sub-par.

After switching to Verizon, I never had a problem with there Customer Service and there coverage is the best you can ever get on any carrier. Very happy with Verizon and plan to stay with them for a very long time to come. They earned my business
    04-07-10 02:13 PM
    Ive had AT&T and now Sprint yes verizon is a good company but its cost is over the top and with sprint you can actually have more money left over to buy things

the location is everything and so why switch to verizon when sprint has more coverage and actual better pricing than any other company when it comes to contract

its like saying that verizon will add a plan with unlimited everything talk text email web mms for 69.99 sprint has that and its s better price and actually saves you much more money
    04-07-10 02:21 PM
    You can go to Sprint now and for a month test drive their network...period...you can't beat that...

Also, Verizon and Sprint pretty much share the same network, being they both roam off of each other anyway. So it's who works best, and what phones you like. Personally, I think i'm going to be going back and forth between my Tour and the EVO if the Slider doesn't come to Sprint soon.

WCM
    04-07-10 02:21 PM
    As posted above, you can sign up for service and if you don't feel it meets your expectations or needs, you can usually cancel before 30 days.

Before signing up to something in the blind, however, I'd encourage you to do your homework as to which carrier provides the best coverage in the areas where you will be using the service.

An inexpensive plan with poor coverage is worthless, and useless.
    04-07-10 02:36 PM
    I have Verizon and although they have excellent coverage they don't always have great Customer Service, as many of the reps. have told me different answers to the same question. However, I don't have Sprint so I can't talk for them, but Sprint does have a 30 day trial period where you can try out their service and if you don't like it they will reimburse you for everything, the phone, the plan, activation fee, etc. I don't think Verizon has that kind of trial period.
    04-07-10 02:41 PM
    Sorry but there is no usually, it's in writing. Sprint offers a no fee 30 days trial. It just dropped last week if i'm not mistaken.

Sprint 30-day Return and Exchange Policy

Go on the site and an IM pops up and even answers your questions.

Sprint introduces the Sprint Free Guarantee � Boy Genius Report

another post on the story.

WCM
    04-07-10 02:43 PM
    i had verizon & was roaming in my own home, so i switched to sprint, and have had ZERO problems with my coverage... I work for a multi-carrier store & sprint is our biggest seller... I've had sprint for 7 years now & im not going anywhere else...
    04-07-10 02:47 PM
    i would go with verizon, i mean i cant speak out against sprint, just verizon does have the most coverage, and i think from my dad having an i-phone that he got from work, the internet is faster on verizon, but texting and call wise they are about the same
    04-07-10 02:47 PM
    i have had sprint since 2003 and have never had any complaints. i cant speak for verizon. the only thing that i can say that IMO tops all the other carriers is sprints any mobile any time. i think it just really boils down to what plan and payment per month works for you. i had AT&T for a hot second and i hated their customer service and even though our plan was one thing we got charged for what seemed like everything under the sun. but then again there are others that have had AT&T and love it. i probably just got unlucky i guess. why dont you get plan pamplets or look them over online and see what they have and what works? there may be things on verizon you like best or vise versa. good luck!
    04-07-10 02:51 PM
    Ok. Here is the thing. Go with facts, and actual usage. You have to see what is better where you are and where you work. Period. People can say they love this one or that one, but it does not mean anything if they speculate about coverage and other companies that have not been used by them.

Not bashing anyone, but facts are what this person needs to make his/her decision.

WCM
    Last edited by wcmarchese; 04-07-10 at 02:55 PM. Reason: spelling error
    04-07-10 02:53 PM
    Cellular Network reviews are subjective. PERIOD. Some people have great experiences, some people have horrible experiences. Yes, you always read about bad customer service with Sprint--this was a few years ago. Sprint has vastly improved their CS (in my opinion: I never need to call them and when I have, no problems).

Do what others have already stated, try out Sprint first (since it is cheaper) and see if the call quality is good around where you spend the most time. If it suits your needs, then there is your answer. Do NOT base your decision on what you read in a message board. This is one of those things that you need to decide on your own.

While you are testing Sprint, don't port your number in just yet. Because it will be a HUGE PITA to port out again--this isn't a Sprint issue, just an issue with how porting works.
    04-07-10 03:03 PM
    Well said Pennypacker.

Oh, and sad news about Skyfire and Blackberry -- so before I see if this has been posted yet, i'll keep on topic and say i'm probably going to be getting the EVO from SPRINT now this summer lol.

WCM
    04-07-10 03:12 PM
    I have had every u.s. Company & you will always find some problem somewhere based on what you look for in a company & where you want your money going. If you go with verizon you'll pay an arm & a leg but your customer service will be an issue. I told them they need to bring their customer care to the u.s. Cause there's a language barrier when the c.s. Agent is in a 3rd world country. They then put a note on my account saying I was racist when in reality I'm not racist I just want the person I'm speaking with to understand me without me explaining the problem 10 times. But with sprint you'll save a lot of money. Verizons coverage is really good but sprints isn't bad either. With sprint you have 30 days where with verizon you have 14 I believe. I'd try sprint and if you're not happy try verizon.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-07-10 05:05 PM
    . If you go with verizon you'll pay an arm & a leg but your customer service will be an issue. I told them they need to bring their customer care to the u.s. Cause there's a language barrier when the c.s. Agent is in a 3rd world country. They then put a note on my account saying I was racist when in reality I'm not racist I just want the person

Verizons customer service is NOT in a 3rd world countrys. Its right here in the U.S. Most are in California, Ohio, and Texas
    04-07-10 05:10 PM
    this is all opinion and subjective... so remember that as you read my opinion here.

CS complaints crack me up. EVERY company has CS issues.. whether any one individual ever experiences them or not is another story. I personally rarely ever need customer service and am usually stunned to hear how often others seem to. I've had two customer service experiences with sprint in my time.. once a few years back where they had things hosed on my bill (double charging after a plan change) but they worked hard to correct it and rebate me, and more recently with my pearl having issues with the gps.. they took a look at it.. realized they couldnt fix it but tried to do right by me and fix my lame trackball. instead the broke it.. and quickly replaced my whole phone (8130) with a brand new one. CS is such a moot point for anyone to make. Every carrier will have CS hits and misses.

Coverage, phones, prices, and services for those prices. I'm happy with my service. No issues here and great price. Good luck.
    04-07-10 05:41 PM
    Verizon is the devil (el diablo), go with Sprint if they have good coverage in your area it is a no brainer. If they don't, then well you will be selling your soul to the devil...

I have had Sprint for fifteen years in the NYC metro area and service is great. I have never had a problem with their customer service, in fact they treat me awesome.
    04-07-10 06:16 PM
    That is the bottom line "do your homework." I have issues with these kinds of threads "tell me what I should do." Duh! You cannot rely on what you hear in the responding posts because you have such a small sampling and the bias is incredible.

Go look up Consumer Reports January, 2010 issue and you'll see an unbiased, detailed comparison of all the major carriers (and a few smaller ones) and then make up your own mind.

As posted above, you can sign up for service and if you don't feel it meets your expectations or needs, you can usually cancel before 30 days.

Before signing up to something in the blind, however, I'd encourage you to do your homework as to which carrier provides the best coverage in the areas where you will be using the service.

An inexpensive plan with poor coverage is worthless, and useless.
    Verizon is the devil (el diablo), go with Sprint if they have good coverage in your area it is a no brainer. If they don't, then well you will be selling your soul to the devil...

I have had Sprint for fifteen years in the NYC metro area and service is great. I have never had a problem with their customer service, in fact they treat me awesome.
    As I said, responses will be all over the map and you cannot go by what is posted here. My own opinion of Sprint? Blah!!!!!!!
    04-07-10 06:20 PM
    Verizons customer service is NOT in a 3rd world countrys. Its right here in the U.S. Most are in California, Ohio, and Texas
    you're right my bad. i meant sprint has reps in 3rd world countries not verizon.
    04-07-10 07:24 PM
    Im a 10 year Sprint customer and had switched and tried ATT and Verizon. Im still a Sprint customer for a reason and its not just they have the best plans. CS has never been a problem with me and coverage has always been good. Data is excellent in fact in late 2009 3G testing, it shows that Sprint actually has a faster and more dependable network. phone coverage is about the same as with Verizon but big V might have an advantage in the ultra rural areas, BUT Sprint can roam for free into Verizon towers so there coverage is very close to Verizon. Plus Sprint has the new try us out for 30 days so honestly you have nothing to loose.
    04-07-10 08:04 PM
    Ive had sprint for a year and have been completely satisfied. you dont have to pay extra for a data or blackberry email plan, coverage is pretty solid, and their phone selection isnt bad. customer service is pretty good as well. im not a big fan of verizon's customer service. i have to deal with them all the time at work. Sprint is also less expensive in the long run, as someone said before.
    04-08-10 09:37 AM
    Test drive is the best way. **** if both companies have free or inexpensive ways to test out thie networks, get them both at the same time. It doesn't matter how cheap or expensive your bill is or how good either of their customer service is if you can't get a good comparison ot their networks side by side in the areas you frequent. If you travel a lot though.....verizon is the way to go.

04-08-10 10:01 AM
    Totally incorrect. I have been with Sprint for over three years, and have never spoken to anyone other than an American. The ones I have spoken to are either in Texas or Virginia, depending on whether I'm dealing with a billing issue or a technical one. Sprint has made tremendous strides in their customer service in the last couple of years, and I wouldn't consider changing now.

As for Sprint vs. Verizon, if you carefully look at Verizon's ads they try to compare their plans and coverage to AT&T. Why are then not comparing themselves to Sprint? Several reasons. One is their networks are identical. Sprint and Verizon have an agreement to share their towers and their coverage area. They can't compare dis Sprint about the network, since they're using it as well. Another is Sprint's Any Mobile, Anytime feature. Being able to call any cell provider in the US and not have it charged against your mintues is a tremendous concept, and Sprint is the only one that offers it. Their Simply Everything Plan is also something that no other carrier has offered - one price for voice, data, text messaging, internet. The cost for that plan only varies with the number of minutes you choose for your plan, and with Any Mobile Anytime, it's a winner. With the Any Mobile feature, I only use about 10% of my minutes, and I'm at the lowest amount of minutes that I can have. If you have reception problems in your house, Sprint will work with you. I can't get a strong signal in my apartment, they sent me an Airave for free, and I pay $4.99/month for it's usage. Now I get a solid signal within 500 feet of my apartment, inside or out. Some users are able to get the $4.99 fee waived as well.

Your mileage may vary if your experiences are different, but I've not been able to find a reason to switch to another carrier. I just can't wait till the new BB Tour/Bold/9650 hits the market, I really would like the WiFi funtion on my phone.

you're right my bad. i meant sprint has reps in 3rd world countries not verizon.
    04-08-10 10:40 AM
    i have experienced both networks.. Sprint is just as good as verizon!

Verizon is a rip off! you get the same thing with sprint for less the money!
    you get unlimited everything for 69.99 cell to cell, internet, sms, mms etc
    or 99.99 add unlimted Land Lines with everything mentioned..

Sprint is on the rise again!
    04-08-10 10:48 AM
84 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD