Google maps have gone from 3.2.1 to 4.0.1 and there is an article on crackberry blogs. ( app size went from 1.1mb to 1.3mb)
    Positive
    1.added voice search
    2. Sync with map.google.com starred items

Buzz layer is not a big deal for me , but could be useful for some.
    But the big question is when will we get our Google navigation.

Edited
    I found that "My Maps" is now accessible as a seperate layer under 'more layers option :P (not sure if it was availble in 3.2.1)
    Last edited by elavum; 04-08-10 at 01:15 PM. Reason: more features
    04-07-10 01:41 PM
    But the big question is when will we get our Google navigation.
    Wasn't this only for android devices?
    04-07-10 01:44 PM
    Is this working for the Storm1? The replies on the CB front page article from some S2 users say the updated google maps is having touchscreen issues.

I'm not going to download it unless I hear it's working properly (don't want to lose my working version...)
    04-07-10 02:48 PM
    Wasn't this only for android devices?
    You may be right , but I can still desire for it and request it at google site.
    04-07-10 02:54 PM
    I have it on my Storm 1 and it works perfectly.
    04-07-10 02:56 PM
    Is this working for the Storm1? The replies on the CB front page article from some S2 users say the updated google maps is having touchscreen issues.

I'm not going to download it unless I hear it's working properly (don't want to lose my working version...)
    I downloaded the new version to my storm1 and its working fine until now. I still took a backup of my old version using BBSAK.
    There were some comments about problems in voice search, but its working on my storm.
    04-07-10 02:59 PM
    There is already a larger thread about this. We should merge them so we don't have to check 2 threads for findings, etc.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-07-10 02:59 PM
    well with my BES policy this new version won't run (I hate that... why not just make certain features not work rather than the whole app). Anyone have the previous version available?
    04-07-10 04:11 PM

The touchscreen version is working fine (for S1 and S2). The problem is when someone tries to download it and their browser is set to IE or FireFox. For Google Maps to give you the touchscreen version, you have to have your browser set to BlackBerry.
    04-07-10 06:15 PM
    The touchscreen version is working fine (for S1 and S2). The problem is when someone tries to download it and their browser is set to IE or FireFox. For Google Maps to give you the touchscreen version, you have to have your browser set to BlackBerry.
    Within seconds of getting the tweet from Google, I downloaded Google Maps v4.0.1 and installed it on my Storm 1. And it STILL will not recognize my Storm 1's GPS and insists on cell tower triangulation. All versions of Google Maps I've installed on my 9530 have never recognized my handheld's GPS. I know that I have the Storm version because it recognizes touchscreen commands. I have .419 installed and am on Bell Mobility.

And yet, amAze sees the GPS. Garmin Mobile for BlackBerry sees the GPS. Poynt sees the GPS. BlackBerry Maps sees the GPS. I have since uninstalled this version of Google Maps.
    04-07-10 06:38 PM
    Within seconds of getting the tweet from Google, I downloaded Google Maps v4.0.1 and installed it on my Storm 1. And it STILL will not recognize my Storm 1's GPS and insists on cell tower triangulation. All versions of Google Maps I've installed on my 9530 have never recognized my handheld's GPS. I know that I have the Storm version because it recognizes touchscreen commands. I have .419 installed and am on Bell Mobility.

And yet, amAze sees the GPS. Garmin Mobile for BlackBerry sees the GPS. Poynt sees the GPS. BlackBerry Maps sees the GPS. I have since uninstalled this version of Google Maps.
    For anyone else that reads this post, this is either a problem with Bell Mobility, or with this persons phone and the apps they have installed. Google maps works perfectly on every Storm (1 or 2) that I'm aware of, though I know of no other people on Bell.
    04-07-10 07:16 PM
    WARNING!

If you download from your BB Browser, make sure you have your browser settings set to Blackberry, and not IE or Firefox. If you don't the touchscreen will NOT work and you will freak out because you have been relying heavily on Google Maps to get you around your current vacation with your fiance and her parents in San Francisco.

If you didn't do as above, delete GM, reset your phone, then change your settings and redownload. Problem solved and you now have voice search.
    04-07-10 07:18 PM
    For anyone else that reads this post, this is either a problem with Bell Mobility, or with this persons phone and the apps they have installed. Google maps works perfectly on every Storm (1 or 2) that I'm aware of, though I know of no other people on Bell.
    It is Bell or google since I am on Bell and have only RIM apps on my phone currently and the GPS still doesn't work. The app will get deleted very shortly.

04-07-10 09:10 PM
    It is Bell or google since I am on Bell and have only RIM apps on my phone currently and the GPS still doesn't work. The app will get deleted very shortly.

Before I had my Storm 1 on Bell Mobility I had a Pearl 8130 on Bell Mobility. Google Maps on the Pearl 8130 worked fine. So it cannot be the carrier firewalling Google Maps. And I know of at least 2 other Bell Mobility persons using Storm 1 BBs who also have OS .419 and also cannot get Google Maps to detect their respective handheld's GPS.

Elrohir59
    04-07-10 10:44 PM
    No issue onmy Storm1 OS.419
    Mabe people are having issues due to device GPS settings, permission settings.
    04-07-10 11:08 PM
    i can't even get triangulation to work let alone gps on my unlocked bell storm. permissions are all set to allow
    04-07-10 11:49 PM
    You probably have, but just to be complete...have you made sure that your GPS location is on (options--> advanced options--> GPS; location on, aiding enabled, location data enabled)?
    04-08-10 06:42 AM
    No issue onmy Storm1 OS.419
    Mabe people are having issues due to device GPS settings, permission settings.
    I am with Bell too. Storm 9530. Excitedly loaded updated Google maps only to be disappointed again. It will not use the GPS and yet every other app under the sun does. I really wish they could include us.

04-08-10 07:11 PM
    Works perfect in my Storm 2 with .428. I think the issues could be related to the new Verizon OS.

The voice feature is awesome. I now have a Droid too now.

04-08-10 07:26 PM
    Working fine on S1 and .419.

Make sure compatibility mode is disabled for Google maps.

If you already downloaded Google maps and it is still not working correctly:
    Delete Google maps. From BB browser, you need to press the BB button > browser configuration > and make sure Browser identification is set to BlackBerry.

Point browser to m.google.com/maps
    04-08-10 08:28 PM
    There is already a larger thread about this. We should merge them so we don't have to check 2 threads for findings, etc.
    Your suggestion would make more sense if you provided a link to the other thread.

04-09-10 10:07 AM
    Your suggestion would make more sense if you provided a link to the other thread.

Here it is:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f145/go...4-01-a-449252/
    04-09-10 10:27 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD