All,

My Blackberry days are over, and here's why.

I am still a newbie to the forums, and as promised, my Droid arrived today at about 6 PM EST.

Took the darn thing out of the box to make sure it didn't slip out of my hands like some of you , then proceeded to self activation. Easy as pie, linked up with my Google accounts, etc. As soon as the accounts are done, got a notification telling me 2.1 OTA is here!

I was a bit skpetical about this update as I've read some horror stories on here, but proceeded anyways. Update took about 3-4 minutes including the restart. This is god-like coming from a Blackberry user. Updates on Blackberries can take up to 2 hours!

I checked the phone for 'defects' as people suggested. IE: loose screen, keyboard, prox. sensor, etc. Turns out everything checks out, and I have a happy Droid!

I at first was really bad with the touch-screen keyboard, but refused to use the physical keyboard because I know this will probably be the last phone running Android with one. Might as well start early! After a few hours of usage, I got quite good, but the only thing I don't recommend is trying to type while walking.

My personal e-mail is with gmail, so I get it with about 40 seconds delay from the actual send time. My school e-mail, however, is not with gmail directly, but on a Google platform. After a few e-mail tests, turns out the arrival rate is pretty much the same as gmail. Very happy about this, but still am getting use to the e-mail system.

All in all, I am a very happy customer, and glad I made the switch. Now, if you forgive me, I have a few questions.

1. Is there a way to avoid seeing my complete inbox that is sitting in my mailbox? IE, like Blackberry, only new mail are retrieved from the servers, rather than seeing about 2,000 messages?

2. Is there a way to delete market search history?

3. What are some live-wall paper recommendations? I am loving this option, and have not seen a performance change.

4. I'd like to set my voicemail the same way as my Blackberry, which is to hold down 1 for a second. Is there a way to do this for the Droid?

5. Stock news and weather seems to be broken? I keep seeing "unavil" no matter I use auto set, by zip, or by city.

Apologies for the long read, but I am a very happy camper.
    04-06-10 09:51 PM
    #4, go to settings, call settings, voicemail settings, enter two commas, , after your *86 then your password so it looks like this *86,,xxxx
    The commas are pauses.
    04-06-10 11:59 PM
    #1 - not that I know of, unless you put it in folders and keep a clean inbox. With that said -

Can you have your school e-mail forward e-mail to your main account? Then set up a filter so a label called "School E-mail" is applied to it. That way, it's all managed through one account, and yet it's kept separate. That's what I did, anyways, and it works WONDERS.

As far as the Marketplace history, I think you're screwed there. Sorry.
    04-07-10 12:20 AM
    Thanks for the kind words all.

Now... Is gmail really instant? It's taking anywhere between 10 seconds to 5 minutes for the notification to show up on my Droid. Is this normal?

Thanks!
    04-07-10 12:26 AM
    Gmail is instant for me. I also forward another pop3 acct to Gmail as cda suggests.
    04-07-10 03:12 AM
    yea gmail is instant for me to. i love the live wall papers to. Cant wait to see what the future brings with them

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-07-10 07:18 AM
    Interesting. I'm not sure why mine isn't instant. Can anyone shed some light on how to go about to fix this?

Thanks!
    04-07-10 09:16 AM
    Interesting. I'm not sure why mine isn't instant. Can anyone shed some light on how to go about to fix this?

Thanks!
    You said your school email isnt gmail but on a google platform. Do you mean it's hosted by google? if so you can set it up through Accounts & Sync, like your gmail account, instead of the email app. Just go to Accounts & Sync, select add account and enter your email address and password. I have some clients that use google to host their email and this is the way they do it, email is just as fast as a gmail address.
    04-07-10 10:32 AM
    4. I'd like to set my voicemail the same way as my Blackberry, which is to hold down 1 for a second. Is there a way to do this for the Droid?
    One thing you can do is create a "Voicemail" contact.
    On your home screen or one of the other home screens, long press on the screen, select Shortcuts, select Direct Dial and then select the Voicemail contact.

Now all you have to do is click that Direct Dial to go to voicemail directly. You can also add the suggestion from one of the posts where you add the two pauses and the VM pin code for complete handsfree operation.
    04-07-10 12:14 PM
    Thank you all once again. I've figured out the voicemail shortcut.

In regards to my school e-mail, yes it is hosted by Google, and yes it is sat up with under accounts & sync.

However, I am still experiencing a bit of a delay. Not sure why.
    04-07-10 12:34 PM
    You can try purging the GMail storage in Application Management, look under Running. Clear the data to force Gmail to resynch.
    04-07-10 12:39 PM
    You can try purging the GMail storage in Application Management, look under Running. Clear the data to force Gmail to resynch.
    Thanks for the tip. I've already tried this several times, and no cigar.
    04-07-10 05:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD