Hello crackberry, I had my 8900 since launch date on Tmobile. Had it over a year now and has been a very solid companion. With all the new powerful devices coming out. Do you feel compelled to buy a better powerful device?
    With all these new 5.0 updates the curve really flies. RIM is really behind in the OS and apps game. But they have something that is secure and addictive. I'm going to try out android but will always have a bb.
    Back on topic, do u feel 8900 is obsolete since tmobile discontinued the phone?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-04-10 01:29 PM
    i had a 9700 but lost it... i dont have insurance so i just bought a cheap 8900 off craigslist, updated the software to 5.0 and besideds the trackpad, it feels kinda like my 9700... not as fast... but not obsolete at all.
    04-04-10 01:35 PM
    Back on topic, do u feel 8900 is obsolete since tmobile discontinued the phone?
    Not at all...I love my 8900...probably won't consider changing phones for quite a while...
    04-04-10 01:40 PM
    maybe 3G and a faster OS
    04-04-10 02:19 PM
    I felt the need to upgrade to a 9700, and did!

BUT! The 8900 is awesome. To me it was a 9700 w/out the trackpad. Don't see a difference with 3G and faster processor at all! Big difference is the trackpad.

SO! If your tired or annoyed by your trackball, upgrade! If not, keep the 8900 because it is an awesome phone!

rafishinoda likes this.
    04-04-10 02:27 PM
    I've definitely enjoyed having my 8900, and it's drastically changed the way I use email - I go for days without logging in to Gmail on a PC. It's also forced me to migrate to Google Apps for my domain email, and I love having my contacts in the cloud. However, like many, I believe the OS to be very outdated, and just badly designed. I'm due for an upgrade in July and will be switching to an HTC Desire or Legend. I've become a Google fanboy!

04-04-10 02:48 PM
    Interesting, I got so comfortable with the 8900 keyboard that I can bust out texts and email without looking at the keyboard. My friends can't keep up at all with their touchscreen devices and not to mention so many typos.
    Hopefully RIM can give us a webkit browser and improve their development kits and better hardware for us craving for cool apps.

Last edited by darkmanx2g; 04-04-10 at 05:56 PM.
    04-04-10 03:20 PM
    I definitely want to move to a 9700, I'm quite bored with my 8900 I've had it since Jan. of last year.
    04-04-10 04:03 PM
    I haven't felt the need to upgrade my 8900 yet. Which is unusual - usually I want to upgrade after several months. I've had this 8900 for over a year now.
    04-04-10 04:26 PM
    I'm not to happy with mine. Mine always seems to have some problem with it. I'm looking forward to getting a new phone.

It was just the luck of the draw. I normally have good luck with things like this. It had to happen to someone.
    04-04-10 04:34 PM
    If I was planning to get another BlackBerry, I'd wait. The 8900 is very similar to the 9700 anyways. 3G and a trackpad isn't worth an upgrade, but it was worth it to me right up until a few days before the 9700 released.

I'm moving to Android since it fits my needs better. The Evo better come out soon.
    04-04-10 05:21 PM
    My 8900 is one of the best, solid phones I ever had so I think will stick with it for a while.
    04-04-10 08:44 PM
    Not at all, for me besides a trackpad, there is no reason to upgrade to another BB if you have 8900.
    04-04-10 08:54 PM
    I've had my BB for 8 months, and now Im thirsting for a Storm2. Too bad its not on ATT. Gotta find a unlocked one....
    04-04-10 08:59 PM
    Old? No. But I am upgrading anyway. Lately it goes to a white screen 4 to 5 times
    a day. I am sure I could fix that but I am in no mood to invest the time to do so.

I still think it is a standout device though.
    04-04-10 09:01 PM
    I like my 8900. I had a 8320 from tmo and went to the 8900. I would love the 9700 just for the trackpad. However, I will wait for the next phone after the 9700 tho....which won't be a pearl. Ew.

04-04-10 11:52 PM
    Love my 8900 but the trackball is performing poorly. Not sure if the upgrade to the 9700 is worth it yet, maybe if tmo's 3g network improves I'll consider it. All in all, the 8900 is my fav bb to date.
    04-05-10 12:19 AM
    I've had my 8900 for over a year as well. This phone has more than exceeded my expectations...I've accomplished so much with much less need for my pc. All in all, as its been said time and time again, I don't think a trackpad (which is better than the ball IMHO), keyboard, 3G, and semi-faster processor warrants an upgrade. I will most likely wait until a drastically different BB hits the market to even consider and upgrade.

04-05-10 12:09 PM
    I definitely prefer the Bold/Tour style keyboard, and a trackpad would be nice, but probably won't upgrade until the 9700 price comes down on the new and used ones.
    04-05-10 12:29 PM
    Got my Tmob 8900 on release day 2009 and I'm very happy with it. Updated to 5.0 OS and that's fine. My wife got a Vzn Moto Droid 2 months ago and she likes it a lot. I am not as crazy about it as she it, so I'm awaiting the Vzn Incredible now. Reason is mainly Vzn's 3G speed where I live. ATT is not 3G here, and Tmob will not be 3g anytime soon. Until then I'll stick with the 8900 and OS 5.x because it works for me. If I could try an iPhone I would, but ATT stinks where I live.
    04-05-10 02:04 PM
    I got my 8900 from T-Mobile a few days after launch. This has been a pretty solid phone with not much of any problems. Since T-Mobile dropped the 8900 and we will not be seeing any update to 5.0 os (and I have a Mac, so I can't even upgrade with another carrier's 5.0os upgrade). I have been itching for another phone.

I looked at the 9700, but for some reason, the build quality isn't all that great. I see numerous pictures on ebay of 9700s and the phone just doesn't seem well put together. Even the 9700 demo at the T-Mobile store feels like a toy.

I really do not see any upcoming promising blackberries, which has me looking at the Android line, especially the new HTC Evo. I might upgrade to that this summer. It's going to be hard leaving blackberry.
    04-05-10 05:56 PM
    Hello fellow 8900 users.
    I thought about an upgrade, either Storm2 or 9700 but after a theme change, changing the chrome bezel and side buttons to black ones.....i have a brand new phone . I always have the latest operating system so......issues I have with my device are predominantly hardware related; battery, solved that with the extended battery.

The Pros of the 9700 vs my 8900
    As 3g isnt available on my network, an upgrade to a 3g device is pointless.

After 3 Pearls and 2 8900s, I really cant go to trackpad just yet; a good clean every 5/6months and we're back in business.

I use my 8900 for email, internet, messaging and music/movies for long journeys and for a few games when I'm bored; so I have no issues with the processor that would make me want to throw my phone away for a newer model.

Overall, the 8900 is perfect, I cant see me 'upgrading' devices anytime soon; I havent heard anything to RIM to make me go "hmm....".

Slider? NO
    rafishinoda likes this.
    04-05-10 11:59 PM
    I have an urge to get a new phone just because I like getting new things :P, but otherwise I have absolutely no problems with my year old 8900. I just bought a new battery/waiting for it to be delivered because mine doesn't seem to be lasting quite as long as I'd like anymore, and I have dropped it a couple times (D, so I am replacing the bezel on it as well (going with black instead of chrome for 'something different').

So hopefully after that it'll feel like a new phone. I have the latest OS so no worries there, and 3G doesn't really interest me to much because from speed tests I've seen it's not a big enough improvement to be 'must have' compared to EDGE at the moment.

I also much prefer this type of keyboard compared to the bold/9700 keyboard, which would be quite a downside if I was to upgrade to one of those phones.

So no, I do not feel an upgrade is needed, whether I would like one for the sake of 'new' or not.
    Last edited by Skyler0; 04-06-10 at 06:51 PM.
    04-06-10 06:44 PM
    I want to upgrade to an android device eventually though I'm not so pressed, but I def need a tactile keyboard. I'm on my second 8900 and after putting os 5.0 on here, the 8900 runs like a dream.

04-07-10 08:29 AM
    Not at all. I love my 8900 and am not even tempted to get a new phone. I have another year until I can upgrade (I took out a two year contract), but it doesn't bother me at all! Love it.
    04-07-10 09:37 AM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD