dude, the SMS's (and voicemails) showing up in BBM really sucks.

I have my inbox combined, so that everything shows up there, so i dont have to look in various apps for different messages... but after I've checked and deleted new SMS/Voicemail good ol 5.0 tells me that I have an unread BBM.. so I have to go into BBM and see it/delete it AGAIN.

anyway to fix this?
    04-02-10 06:58 PM
    do not link your bbm contacts to your phone contacts.
    04-02-10 07:30 PM
    dude ... seriously don't say that here. It's annoying.

You linked your BBM contact with your BlackBerry contact. So go back and remove the link.

Open the contact in BBM. Press Menu. Select Contacts Link. Repeat as needed. In the future, don't link the BBM contacts to your BlackBerry contacts if you don't want that functionality.
    04-02-10 08:04 PM

You linked your BBM contact with your BlackBerry contact. So go back and remove the link.

Open the contact in BBM. Press Menu. Select Contacts Link. Repeat as needed. In the future, don't link the BBM contacts to your BlackBerry contacts if you don't want that functionality.
    I had the same problem, but removing the link only took the BBM messages out of the inbox, but did NOT take the SMS messages out of BBM. That's kind of messed up. They are two different methods of communicating with someone, and were as such in 4.7. And should remain separate.

I have a number of people in my contacts that I communicate one of the two ways with, for different reasons at different times. And I WANT them to remain linked in my contacts for various reasons.

This doesn't seem like an improvement, but a bug. Not something that we should need to accommodate by unlinking the contacts.

5.0 also merged together past SMS messages with my BBM histories, even when I unlinked the contacts (which again, I didn't want to do, nor should I need to do).

This is the main reason I went back to 4.7, which really annoys me because I love so much about 5.0. This is just not something I can live with. And really can't believe it was an intentional "improvement". Just seems like a messy bug.
    Last edited by sandra_17; 04-02-10 at 09:10 PM.
    04-02-10 09:07 PM

I mistakenly did this too when I upgraded to 5.0 (it prompted me and I didn't know this would be one of the outcomes), I tried following your instructions but I couldn't quite figure it out? I went into BBM, highlighted a contact and pressed the menu button and then chose Contact Profile - not quite sure what to do from there? Any more detailed help would be appreciated, poked around for a few minutes and can't quite figure out how to unlink em :\

Thanks!
    04-02-10 09:16 PM
    There is no "stop mixing sms woth bbm" option in bbm. When I get a friggin voicemail, it shows up in bbm.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-03-10 03:21 AM
    I mistakenly did this too when I upgraded to 5.0 (it prompted me and I didn't know this would be one of the outcomes), I tried following your instructions but I couldn't quite figure it out? I went into BBM, highlighted a contact and pressed the menu button and then chose Contact Profile - not quite sure what to do from there? Any more detailed help would be appreciated, poked around for a few minutes and can't quite figure out how to unlink em :\
    Open BBM.
    Open your Contacts in BBM.
    Highlight a contact.
    Press Menu.
    Select Contact Profile.
    Press Menu.
    Select "Remove Contacts Link".
    Select "Yes".
    Repeat as needed.

Also if you do not want your BBM messages to show up in your Messages application, you need to make that that option is not select.

Open BBM.
    Press Menu.
    Select Options.
    Next to "Show Chats in Messages Application", be sure to uncheck the box.
    04-03-10 08:06 AM
    One contact at a time? UuuuGghh that is lame!

04-03-10 09:04 AM
    Thanks Motor, very much appreciated
    04-03-10 10:27 AM
    i'm really curious about this issue (feature) since i haven't seen it yet. If someone is on your BBM why would you SMS them? i would not like my SMS convos to show up in BBM either!
    04-03-10 10:31 AM
    Well, for example, I have a contact who has two cell phone numbers (both of which are under the BlackBerry contact). One is a work device and the other is a personal device. We mostly converse via BBM on the work device. However, I use SMS on the other device for when the person is not carrying the BlacKBerry or when I want to send messages that might not be completely appropriate for a work device.
    04-03-10 11:06 AM
    That makes sense! Thanks.

04-03-10 11:22 AM
    But I have the contacts unlinked because I don't like having BBM cluttered with SMS. The SMS messages show up with a little cell phone icon next to the message in BBM. You can test it by adding yourself to BBM and linking the contact and sending and SMS.
    04-03-10 11:30 AM
    why are you texting someone instead of BBM'ing them anyway? isnt that redundant?
    04-03-10 12:37 PM
    That's what i asked already! Read above! i agree though, i never SMS a contact that has BBM. But others do. i don't mind my mans work seeing my dirty talk! Ha. Juuust kidding.

04-03-10 01:33 PM
    why am i getting voicemail alerts in my BBM? it's annoying.
    04-03-10 02:20 PM
    Sometimes I sms with a large group to collaborate or plan. Not all have Blackberry so the group sms people will get it. and the bbm ppl will get it in bbm and can still reply there. I do not need to send twice or seperate groups
    05-02-10 07:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD