I mean I've just read about the 4th thread where odd, weird, baudy or other sounds, music or voices sound as their phones ring. Never mind all of the other issues like "Tech failure - return to store", Browser not clicking, reboot times that allow long naps....

It really is sad. And what is even more sad is that so many folks were waiting for Verizon to release a fully debugged, flawless OS.

I realize that some of the debugging might not be sufficient since there are a variety of 3rd party apps, various themes, different sd cards but it seems clear that Rim/Verizon either did not have sufficient testers or they ignored claims and rumors (about the leaks) about problems with the OS. Either way, they did drop the ball. Rim has its own app store as does verizon. They are selling these phones as open platforms which can be expanded. Therefore, they have to make sure that they support 3rd party apps and test them in real world situations, not in an isolated bubble lab.

Okay, I'm winded (and some will think, full of hot wind!)

Now they have to fix it.
    04-02-10 06:55 PM
    yup ... Personally, I found it funny how many thought/claimed the VZ release was gonna be the Holy Grail and perfect... Man they must feel let down ....
    IMO, RIM needs to settle down and focus on one thing at a time.. They cannot release a higher quality product (both software & hardware) whilst working on a hundred things at once... Just not possible... They are currently supporting more product lines than anyone *I think*
    04-02-10 09:06 PM
    Never........Never........NEVER, will I ever expect anything decent or good from Verizon Wireless. Thankfully, their basic wireless service is acceptable.

Their OS 5 is the biggest joke (April fool or otherwise) in cell phone history.

Their PTT is the second biggest joke. Just watch... all those people excited about it now will dump it in another couple of weeks, or sooner. They are already complaining about people "barging" in on their lives.

Personally, if I wanted PTT, I'd go to Radio Shack and buy me a walkie talkie. However, I prefer to talk on the phone itself, and that's why I have unlimited minutes.

I was using Sprints .484 prior to the VZW release, and have downgraded back to it. It's so much better, that it makes you wonder whats really wrong with Verizon.
    04-02-10 10:04 PM
    I have seen nothing but opinions in these forums. Are there any forums that are full of facts? Instead of opinions because some people like the new os and other people don't. Can I be directed to the factual section please?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-02-10 10:53 PM
    I have seen nothing but opinions in these forums. Are there any forums that are full of facts? Instead of opinions because some people like the new os and other people don't. Can I be directed to the factual section please?

The OS bugs are facts.

Either the user has not noticed them, does not know what to look for.

To a lot of people OS 5.0 is a big step from what they were seeing on 4.7, so it's new and they are excited about it...

But sorry been there done that...

Next OS please.
    04-02-10 11:16 PM
    Very true yester18, I love a lot of things about Blackberry and am prob one of those people who will stick it out ' hoping for something better' ...
    However the bugs are real.. some are just minor but some are just major *to me*.. The biggest to me is when my SMS threads freeze every day from txting alot (never happened to me on 4.X BTW) Also, I consider the long black screen from wakeup a safety hazard, it should be instant like it always was in 4.x. In an emergency having to wait for your phone to wake cannot be good and esp for people who have given up landlines for mobile....
    04-03-10 12:39 AM
    If it was no ones laughing
    04-03-10 12:54 AM
    I downgraded back to the 4.7 I need my BB working. and long battery life.
    the 5.0 is a real disappointment. I am glad I could downgrade from DM if it had been unable to do, I would had dropped BB like a hot potato with no hesitation.
    Seriously, the 5.0 is a real disappointment.
    04-03-10 12:59 AM

Okay, MY OPINION is that the new OS 5 from verizon is buggy. I will grant that since I've only read about it.

BUT read the reports about phantom voices, music, sounds, after the phone rings or when folks hang up. Those are not BB users' opinions - that is happening to them - so I would suggest that is a FACT.

The FACT is some folks have to click on a link in the native browser 3 or 4 times to get it to work and some don't get it to work at all.

FACT is some folks are having trouble with their BT when they did not have trouble with it in the past.

Another FACT - messages that say: "Technical failure (or whatever) - return the phone to where you purchased it" - that is an odd opinion for a number of users to post. So I suggest that it is NOT opinion but yet another FACT.

As I think my original post indicated - I can accept that with lots of 3rd party apps and various other individual aspects of these phones some problems may crop up but I really think not enough testing was done. But, yup, that is an OPINION.
    04-03-10 01:13 AM
    This is the exact reason why I don't waste my time waiting for an "official" os from verizon. It seems like every build from them has the most problems compared to other carriers, but that's just me.

04-03-10 01:21 AM

Good morning, radgatt.

For "Facts", you need to go to the Verizon Wireless website.

This is crackberry.com, where you get nothing but "opinions".

I hope you enjoy the other website, and get all the facts you need.

Good day.

04-03-10 08:00 AM
    even though OS 5.0 has a few bugs, for people who were running 4.7 on there phones, this OS is great for them! huge step up from the 4.7 OS that a lot of people were still running
    04-03-10 08:05 AM
    even though OS 5.0 has a few bugs, for people who were running 4.7 on there phones, this OS is great for them! huge step up from the 4.7 OS that a lot of people were still running
    I can only agree with that statement of OPINION if they can get the Browser to work. If they can't then it is a pretty awful step off a cliff but not a step up. Seriously, if someone can't get the browser to work, there is something very wrong with the OS. And I really would not want my Tour to be playing any oddball voices, music or anything that I did not set - apparently, it can be anywhere from just disconcerting to downright awkward to worse than that.
    04-03-10 09:29 AM
    I'm a fairly novice user compared to most of you on here. I do use my phone heavily for work (email, browser, etc.). For facts; I too have experienced the browser link issue on our companies wap page in the field. A bit of a PITA but I also use the beta version of Opera and have noticed it less using that browser.
    04-03-10 10:06 AM
    Ever since I upgraded my Tour, it is making random sounds, tones etc after I end a call, use the camera or video, send a text, etc. I also get sit in frustration as the thing locks up after I use a 3rd party app. I'm having major click issues as well. So today I downgraded back to 4.7. Seriously, my experience with Verizon and BIS the past few months has caused me to consider switching carriers and platforms.
    Ok, I'm done venting now.
    04-03-10 10:31 AM
    I can only agree with that statement of OPINION if they can get the Browser to work. If they can't then it is a pretty awful step off a cliff but not a step up. Seriously, if someone can't get the browser to work, there is something very wrong with the OS. And I really would not want my Tour to be playing any oddball voices, music or anything that I did not set - apparently, it can be anywhere from just disconcerting to downright awkward to worse than that.
    +1

5.0 blows and anyone who says 5.0 is great either works for vzw or is a vzw kissass

04-03-10 10:42 AM
    +1

5.0 blows and anyone who says 5.0 is great either works for vzw or is a vzw kissass

To give him his due, I think he was talking generically about 5.0 - that is, versions of 5.0 from other carriers. I have been using a 5.0 hybrid since the first week of February and it has been pretty darn good. I get better battery life (although that may be a fix to BerryWeather, also), I like that I could edit/fix Profiles. I don't text so that big upgrade did not affect me. I appreciate Predictive Text when it does not go wildly limiting my choices. I think the phone is faster and my boot time, still not as fast as some I read about is no longer taking 12 minutes.

But I do believe Verizon or Rim screwed up something in their release version. I just don't think there was enough testing (some would always there can never be enough - which led many to believe that Verizon would get it right because it took so darn long!)

I know folks are very frustrated when their bb's do not work but trying to find a 5.0 that works might be a good route. I'm sorry that I do not recall which hybrid I installed.
    04-03-10 11:30 AM
    I don't blame VZW for this, I blame RIM. The fact (yes, fact) that these minor OS revisions can vary so wildly in battery life and reception, and that major bugs are introduced in previously stable code--e.g., browser click--points to serious issues in RIM's software engineering practices. I am sure the OS software platform itself has historical code issues the developers need to deal with, but the fact that hybrid makers can solve most of the big issues indicates that project management and talent are the real culprits. If VZW were to wait for a bug free release, they would be waiting forever. The reality is that they had a product launch deadline--PTT--and needed to get a release out. How frustrating to VZW's testers must it be when all the sudden RIM drops something like the browser click bug on them after numerous OS revisions? It's a testing nightmare.

The fact (yes, fact) is that the BB OS needs a complete rewrite from the ground up. The problem with this is that we will end up with new classes of bugs and probably a degraded feature set. That is always the case with rewrites of big, complex platforms and again RIM seems to be lacking in project management and general software talent. It will take a miracle for the next generation of Blackberry software to keep up with the competition, let alone innovate.
    04-03-10 12:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD