Developers flock to develop apps for the iPad, while support for RIM's Blackberry continued to diminish at an alarming rate with a mere 1 percent share - which decreased from a 4 percent total share for all of 2009.
    See TGDaily.
    TG Daily | Technology, Science, Entertainment, and Business News
    04-02-10 01:49 PM
    Honestly? The iPad is just a gimmick. It may succeed, but if they do its strictly for the novelty factor(its like a bigger iPhone meets netbook).

Personally, I don't think I would be comfortable typing on an iPad.
    04-02-10 01:56 PM
    ipad is a joke...only idiots will be this. too bad its alot of idiots in the world
    04-02-10 02:28 PM
    I think the iPad is an interesting device. It can replace a Kindle, still act like an iPod (though obviously not as portable), have some VoIP capabilities like the Touch with Skype. I plan to look at them and see what they do. I think Netbooks are pretty useless myself. I think I would prefer to use an iPad before I got a Netbook. May look at it a a better way to stay connected on the road without having to take my laptop around (especially motorcycle trips).
    Last edited by lnichols; 04-02-10 at 02:40 PM.
    04-02-10 02:30 PM
    iPad has no relevance, it's not a Smartphone.

News is to facts as Blog is to opinion.
    04-02-10 02:55 PM
    ipad is a joke...only idiots will be this. too bad its alot of idiots in the world
    Before you start tossing out the "idiots" comments you may want to take a look
    at your sentence structure and spelling.

only idiots will be this
    I think you may have missed a word or two.

alot
    This should be two words: a lot.
    04-02-10 03:10 PM

Burn.

This has all been said a thousand times I'm sure but...

BB's will continue to be last when it comes to apps because it's a business device and not an iPhone/Droid/whatever else you want to compare it to.

The iPad is a bit ridiculous IMO because it truly is just an oversized iPod Touch with some extra features. I have no need for a device like that plus a tablet just doesn't appeal to me.
    04-02-10 03:25 PM

Hilarious.

While I think the ipad is an intriguing device, I don't see it's benefits outweighing the high cost. That said, I would want to use one before passing final judgment. Is the data plan required?
    Last edited by r.wats75; 04-02-10 at 03:33 PM.
    04-02-10 03:30 PM
    No thanks. I'd rather get a netbook and have a full keyboard and multitasking abilities.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-02-10 03:41 PM
    If I was a developer I'd prefer to develop apps for one platform instead of various
    OS's and different size screens and resolutions.
    04-02-10 03:59 PM
    I think it is wise for App developers to jump on the iPad band waggon, The people who Buy the iPad will be people who have extra money in their pockets, it is not a product that will be given to people for work, these people are buying iPads specifically to buy Apps, a good developer will Jump in early to get maximum sales, so that when the Market for iPad like devices grows and other companies come into the fold, like Windows, they can advertise their apps as being XXX sales on the iPad now ported over.

I hate the iPad as it stands, but I really see a value to the concept in the next few years. someone needs to add phone/email function, and a blutooth head set that hides inside the body
    04-02-10 05:04 PM
    The data is on a prepaid basis with AT&T. Not required
    04-02-10 07:37 PM
    BB's will continue to be last when it comes to apps because it's a business device and not an iPhone/Droid/whatever else you want to compare it to.
    Thats just another lame RIM excuse. Who said it couldnt be BOTH? Isnt in fact Android apps written in java too, JUST like the BB. If RIM got off their butts and wrote a good SDK and developer tools, and more access to the APIs then developers would want to develop for it as it still holds the most marketshare in the US.

Logic says that if they have the biggest marketshare and in more people's hands then the potential to sell more downloads is greater.

Its just a cop-out excuse that its "too business" to have apps. Nothing dictates it couldnt be how it is now for business AND have decent apps.

Face the music, RIM has been complacent in the market over the last 5+ years and only cares how many phones and how much BIS/BES service they can sell to get a cut of it; not about you getting a better browser or more/better apps. They are FULLY capable of doing so and have been for a while now.

It took how long for them to even say they were working on a better browser? And its still nothing more then a pipe dream right now and who knows when it will realistically be launched.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 04-02-10 at 08:52 PM.
    04-02-10 08:48 PM
    Stuaw: Sadly you are in the right church but the wrong pew. 95% of the people
    reading that will NEVER understand how correct you are, which is even sadder.
    04-03-10 12:03 AM
    Stuaw, the ipad has the potential to be used for business applications, but not the same way as a smartphone. Why? Size.

It doesn't fit into your pocket. However, the large screen does possess capabilities that are impractical on a tiny smartphone screen.

Besides, business applications on an ipad will be secondary to ones for entertainment and media consumption.

A Blackberrys primary purpose is to keep you connected to your important contacts. Not to read the wall street journal with your legs propped up on your couch.

Apple likes to say their devices are all about the UI.
    BS.
    Their devices are ALL about how much more money they can make on app sales after someone buys an iPod, iPhone or ipad.
    That's why there are more apps for Apple products.
    04-03-10 09:47 AM
    I know I'll eventually want an iPad.
    04-03-10 09:49 AM
    Stuaw, the ipad has the potential to be used for business applications, but not the same way as a smartphone. Why? Size.

It doesn't fit into your pocket. However, the large screen does possess capabilities that are impractical on a tiny smartphone screen.

Besides, business applications on an ipad will be secondary to ones for entertainment and media consumption.

A Blackberrys primary purpose is to keep you connected to your important contacts. Not to read the wall street journal with your legs propped up on your couch.

Apple likes to say their devices are all about the UI.
    BS.
    Their devices are ALL about how much more money they can make on app sales after someone buys an iPod, iPhone or ipad.
    That's why there are more apps for Apple products.
    whos comparing BB to an iPad?

The apps were already out from the ipod and iphone, theyre the same apps, just visually reworked.

The iphone keeps you connected to your contacts- phone, text, and email, but I guess its easy for some to forget that. The apps only enhance the basic features of the device. And an iphone IS a smartphone. I still beg someone to give a DEFINITE definition of a smartphone that the iphone doesnt fit, because there is NO official definition of what a smartphone must be. Multitasking is a FEATURE of an OS, not a definition of a smartphone- same with the other few iphone shortcomings. Theyre features, they dont define what a smartphone is overall.

Sure, Apple makes a TON off the app store, but its not like theyre paying people to develop for the iphone. The devs make money off sales, just like any other platform app store, but there was no lure/compensation to develop in the first place from Apple directly.

The point, again, is Apple make it easy FOR developers to develop and RIM doesnt. THATS why there are less apps for the BB, because its not worth the devs time to fight the sdk and tools RIM gives them to make an app- and hence the extraordinary prices of BB apps too because how long it takes to make a BB app and the complications involved.

Browsing the WSJ also isnt near all an iphone can do. The apps GREATLY enhance areas of business past basic phone, web, text, and email that ANY smartphone will do.

Take for instance the legal field- US Code, State statutes, lookup cases on Fastcase or Lexis, Black's Law dictionary, keep track of your billable hours for appointments, even time phone calls and make invoices. These ARE business functions that BB doesnt offer because of the lack of apps, and thats only 1 profession. They surely arent games or fart apps, they could help you win cases, make money, or affect people's lives, liberty, or property- all big deals by anyone's standards since those are the only fundamental rights you have in life.

BB could only benefit GREATLY from having more and better apps, only a fraction of the business Apple apps even exist for BB. Any other explanation is an excuse for RIM to keep you in the 1990's, theres NO reason the BB cant be what it is AND have lots of good apps that expand functionality too. RIM needs to get off their butts and give devs good tools in order to get good apps, not just sit on their hands and expect people to flock to them because that's obviously not happening by any means.

Aoos arent something new, theyve been around since the start of Palm OS and windows Mobile. RIM just isnt catching the idea that even $50 messaging phones can now do phone, text, web, and email with a QWERTY pad 100 times better then they did 10 years ago and they arent compelling general non-corporate consumers to buy their devices or devs to make apps for their platform.

People around here LOVE to instantly dub me as a "RIM hater" merely because I speak the truth and dont sugar coat it. In fact I still have a 9700 sitting in front of me, so I hardly hate RIM. The truth is that my other phone, my iphone, sitting next to it can do the same exact things AND more (apps, WAY better browser, same push email through exchange, same text messaging, same phone calls, jailbroken so I can multitask even but its not a dealbreaker not to have it.). There's very little the BB can do that other smartphone OSs now cant to be all that compelling in the near future unless RIM changes their outlook towards the industry. And I HOPE they do see it soon or theyre destined to fall even farther behind while other OSs gobble up marketshare as they have been.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 04-03-10 at 11:39 AM.
    04-03-10 11:15 AM
    whos comparing BB to an iPad?
    Quick question. What's the title of this thread?

As to your other points, we are not so far apart.

Yes, Apple makes it easy for developers to create apps for the iPhone OS platform. Why? Because it's part of Apples game plan.

RIM makes it difficult for developers with multiple os versions, screen resolutions, memory, input method (keyboard/touchscreen) and keeping API's locked down because of their security concerns.

Yes RIM could do things differently, but that's not part of their gameplan.
    Q. Why has Apple developed the ipad?

A. To make even more money from app sales. (in addition to device sales).

P.S. I don't think you're a BB hater.
    I think you just enjoy arguing and debating.
    04-03-10 01:12 PM
    Yeh but the ipad apps are the exact same as the iphone/ipod with a different resolution for 90% of the apps. Some are visually tweaked with the 3.2 new features or to use the larger screen, but still fundamentally the same base apps they always were. So you have to include the whole Apple app ecosystem in the "why do devs want to develop for Apple and not RIM" discussion. Its not just the ipad, its been this way for a long time with the itouch and iphone too.

And of course its obviously not part of RIM's gameplan, but the point is it SHOULD be, or maybe even needs to be at some point soon to stay competitive.
    04-03-10 01:24 PM
    Yeh but the ipad apps are the exact same as the iphone/ipod with a different resolution for 90% of the apps. Some are visually tweaked with the 3.2 new features or to use the larger screen, but still fundamentally the same base apps they always were. So you have to include the whole Apple app ecosystem in the "why do devs want to develop for Apple and not RIM" discussion. Its not just the ipad, its been this way for a long time with the itouch and iphone too.

And of course its obviously not part of RIM's gameplan, but the point is it SHOULD be, or maybe even needs to be at some point soon to stay competitive.

See I disagree with you, except I don't think RIM is on the right Path

I do not believe RIM needs to focus on getting a Large APP Network, as the Majority of Corporate BB users will never install an App, as it will not be part of the company technology policy, just as many companies only Allow IE on Company computers.

RIM does need to Look at what Apps NEED to be made Native, How they can recapture lost Enterprise Market that Apple and Droid are starting to take, and to gain some popularity in the Consumer area.

BBM is a great tool for the Consumer addiction, I know a few people who purchased BB's only because others like myself had BBM and they wanted BBM too.

RIM needs to get a Better Browser,
    RIM needs a Better contact management system
    RIM needs a Better Calendar
    RIM needs better Application management Even WinMo allows killing of apps better
    RIM needs more control over LED, and Sound/Vibrate notification built into the OS
    RIM Needs social networking apps with a regular upgrade cycle.

Those are more important that a large App database in my opinion, the iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad all are built on the APP plateform idea, RIM can be successful going a different route, IF they provide quality competitive native applications designed for Business first, catering to the consumer second,

That said, Touch Screen devices need to cater to the consumer far more, with OpenGL support and real games, as that is truly the crossover product
    04-03-10 01:57 PM
    Of course there is going to be more support for it. That doesn't mean that BlackBerry devices aren't going to get quality apps. Quantity doesn't always equal quality. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure that there are some apps that will be missed on the BlackBerry platform that are worth having, but there isn't a single app right now that's on an iPhone that I want that I can't get on the BlackBerry.

Again, that's just me. I don't need that many apps on my phone. I use the device for messaging, phone calls, email, and streaming audio primarily. So I don't have an excessive need for apps. I have always felt that if you want apps, you should buy an iPhone.

04-03-10 03:39 PM
    I think it is wise for App developers to jump on the iPad band waggon, The people who Buy the iPad will be people who have extra money in their pockets, it is not a product that will be given to people for work, these people are buying iPads specifically to buy Apps, a good developer will Jump in early to get maximum sales, so that when the Market for iPad like devices grows and other companies come into the fold, like Windows, they can advertise their apps as being XXX sales on the iPad now ported over.

I hate the iPad as it stands, but I really see a value to the concept in the next few years. someone needs to add phone/email function, and a blutooth head set that hides inside the body
    I thought about that.
    But I was never thinking about the amount of money that you would be able to make. Haha.

Genius. Seriously.

04-03-10 06:45 PM
    I've never been an Apple person. However, I played with my sister in laws iPad this morning and I thought it was pretty neat.

I'm too poor for stuff like that though so I'll never buy one.
    04-04-10 09:28 PM
    The ipad is a joke, no USB port, no universal mailbox, and my favorite, no camera. Ya gotta give Apple credit, they have loyal dork's standing in line. But why?

04-05-10 12:48 AM
    The ipad is a joke, no USB port, no universal mailbox, and my favorite, no camera. Ya gotta give Apple credit, they have loyal dork's standing in line. But why?
    No USB port - Big deal. It is meant to be a computer adjunct, not a replacement
    No Universal mailbox - So what. This is by no stretch a bad thing. In fact, on
    this site alone there are tons of users who want to eliminate that.
    No Camera - There are quite a few BlackBerrys that have no camera. Besides
    anyone with any sense know a camerain a mobile device is substandard from the word go.

Worse than the Apple "fanboys" are the BlackBerry fans who slag anything
    from Apple. You just joined the club.
    04-05-10 01:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD