Is no one listening to the CB podcast? According to Kevin...there's a big nasty (hopefully false) rumor that ONLY the 9700 will be getting the webkit browser. The Storm2 will not. Supposedly the webkit needs more than 256mb ram and the 9700 is the only BB that can manage its memory properly due to its hardware to run webkit... which could be reason why RIM said "there's a reason we showed webkit on the 9700"...

I really hope this is not true...
    04-02-10 12:43 AM
    if true, that is really going to **** off the troops. including me.
    04-02-10 12:46 AM
    That would be a HUGE disappointment...

Honestly, the Storm2's big screen is the only berry I feel would do justice to an enhanced browser... I've never liked using the browser on my dad's Tour... the screen was just too small for it to be completely effective.
    04-02-10 12:46 AM
    the 9700 only has 256...same as the storm 2?? did you mis hear something
    04-02-10 12:51 AM
    A late April Fools?
    04-02-10 12:57 AM
    I doubt it. They're pretty much identical phones, except for the processor. However, the Storm2's processor can do OpenGL...which leads me to believe RIM can work through it better. Same resolution, same RAM....my guess is 256MB devices get it. 8900, 9500, 9700. This is just a guess, but a logical one.
    04-02-10 01:05 AM
    the 9700 only has 256...same as the storm 2?? did you mis hear something
    9700 has 256 but also hardware improvements for better memory management between the processor and memory...according to podcast....

It's 1hr12min into the podcast...

Kevin also said not to be too fearful from this rumor...
    04-02-10 01:07 AM
    9700 has 256 but also hardware improvements for better memory management between the processor and memory...according to podcast....

It's 1hr12min into the podcast...

Kevin also said not to be too fearful from this rumor...
    That would be so jacked up. I love the S2 - but no webkit would make me think about getting something else. And I'm addicted to the S2 crack. Bad.
    04-02-10 01:16 AM
    this would totally **** me off... Who would RATHER have a webkit browser? a HUGE touch screen or a small one? If the storm2 doesn't get it, especially with almost IDENTICAL specs, i'd probably hit another device in November when my contract resigning comes up. That would REALLY Disappoint me .
    04-02-10 02:38 AM
    Gotta say this is about as jacked up as any of RIM's crap.

I bet anti-gravity propulsion will be discovered before we get a native browser.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-02-10 04:58 AM
    If true, goodbye RIM, hello Android!

04-02-10 06:15 AM
    That is why it's called a RUMOR
    04-02-10 06:26 AM
    Sounds like a Hen party in here...

Its supposed to be good friday, come on guys.

Hows about a little love for the boys at RIM.
    04-02-10 06:27 AM
    well last month he was talking about it running on a Bold 9000, so...
    04-02-10 07:26 AM
    If true, goodbye RIM, hello Android!

couldn't have said it better myself...and I am a longtime Berry owner, but that's just enough for me to bring my business somewhere else.
    04-02-10 08:56 AM
    Here are crucial's comments in another forum..I trust what he says.

Crucial_Xtreme 08:30 PM 03-23-2010 -- [Reply] [!!]

The new browser works on most BlackBerry models. 9700, 95xx, 85xx, 91xx, 8900, 9000. Now because it works on the 8900 & 9000 doesn't mean it's going to rel for said models. But it works on them

04-02-10 01:33 PM
    Here are crucial's comments in another forum..I trust what he says.

Crucial_Xtreme 08:30 PM 03-23-2010 -- [Reply] [!!]

The new browser works on most BlackBerry models. 9700, 95xx, 85xx, 91xx, 8900, 9000. Now because it works on the 8900 & 9000 doesn't mean it's going to rel for said models. But it works on them

Can you point to this thread please? Always interested to hear what CX says.
    04-02-10 01:39 PM
    Can you point to this thread please? Always interested to hear what CX says.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f40/webkit-browser-leak-426880/

His comments are on page 3

04-02-10 02:43 PM
    Thanks for the link. Much appreciated.
    04-02-10 02:50 PM
    This tells me that there is either a chance that the Storm 2 does not get it at all or that they will release it for the 9700 first, and Storm 2 owners would have to wait very long. If either is the case, I would dump my device regardless how much I love it. I love my BB mostly because I like the support from RIM. This would tell me that RIM does not take this device serious. Again this is an if..

I mean how long does it take for RIM to do this? This has been a complaint for over 2 years.
    04-02-10 03:27 PM
    This tells me that there is either a chance that the Storm 2 does not get it at all or that they will release it for the 9700 first, and Storm 2 owners would have to wait very long. If either is the case, I would dump my device regardless how much I love it. I love my BB mostly because I like the support from RIM. This would tell me that RIM does not take this device serious. Again this is an if..

I mean how long does it take for RIM to do this? This has been a complaint for over 2 years.
    Why would you ever believe that RIM takes the Storm2 seriously? They definitely came out with an vastly improved version in the S2, but here we are, almost six months after it came out and they still haven't updated the O/S (offically) which had a few bugs in it. They took the existing O/S and made it "fit" into the Storm's touch screen. If they took this new (to them) format seriously, they would have done an "iPhone-like" O/S - where are the colorful icons, great browser, pictures with the contacts, large picture on the phone screen, an updating calendar icon, and on and on? With the Storm 1 I can give some allowances, but a year later, they slapped the same basic O/S in a much improved mechanical device. So dump your BB because it doesn't offer what you want, but I find it hard to accept one would keep it because of "it's support from RIM." The last 3 years I have had a BB device, it seems like all RIM does is "re-hash" the previous designs. NOTHING note-worthy in O/S in years, and quality certainly seesm to have slipped. I LOVE my Storm2, but only because I had to use a Hybrid O/S to make it really shine. For RIM to not upgrade the very phone that would benefit the most from a new brwoser is unthinkable; but wouldn't surprise me!
    04-02-10 05:41 PM
    Why would you ever believe that RIM takes the Storm2 seriously? They definitely came out with an vastly improved version in the S2, but here we are, almost six months after it came out and they still haven't updated the O/S (offically) which had a few bugs in it. They took the existing O/S and made it "fit" into the Storm's touch screen. If they took this new (to them) format seriously, they would have done an "iPhone-like" O/S - where are the colorful icons, great browser, pictures with the contacts, large picture on the phone screen, an updating calendar icon, and on and on? With the Storm 1 I can give some allowances, but a year later, they slapped the same basic O/S in a much improved mechanical device. So dump your BB because it doesn't offer what you want, but I find it hard to accept one would keep it because of "it's support from RIM." The last 3 years I have had a BB device, it seems like all RIM does is "re-hash" the previous designs. NOTHING note-worthy in O/S in years, and quality certainly seesm to have slipped. I LOVE my Storm2, but only because I had to use a Hybrid O/S to make it really shine. For RIM to not upgrade the very phone that would benefit the most from a new brwoser is unthinkable; but wouldn't surprise me!
    now you are smart enough to know that has NOTHING to do with RIM. they are on 6xx builds and VZW approved 607 now anyway. Granted RIM could produce a less flawed OS that actually works with BBM correctly but overall RIM has produced plenty of builds that VZW could have approved by now.
    Last edited by howarmat; 04-02-10 at 06:28 PM.
    04-02-10 05:48 PM
    I refuse to believe there will be no webkit for the Storm2. It will happen.
    04-02-10 06:18 PM
    Wow a lot of guys here preparing to jump off the bandwagon based on mere rumours?
    04-02-10 09:19 PM
    All we can really do is just wait and see...

04-02-10 09:28 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD