Why after all the development time spent on new models and updated operating system versions, is it still necessary to do soft reboots and battery pulls on a Blackberry?

Surely, these requirements could have been engineered out of the product?
    04-01-10 05:28 PM
    How long have Windows PC's been around?

...and I still have to do the odd ctrl+alt+del when mine freezes
    04-01-10 05:56 PM
    Technology will never be perfect, just like us humans.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-01-10 05:59 PM
    How long have Windows PC's been around?

...and I still have to do the odd ctrl+alt+del when mine freezes
    Sorry, not good enough.

Firstly, Windows and its attended programs contain millions and millions of lines of code.

Secondly, I run three PCs 24/7 and I've had to reboot one of them maybe once every fortnight.

Thirdly, I'm not talking about rebooting a Blackberry because of a freeze, I'm talking about just keeping it running fast, not slowing down and without the clock icon appearing all the time and without all the apps to the clean the RAM and memory maintenance.

I've a 9700 which for me is a great phone and my main phone but I also have an iPhone, a HD2 and until recently a Pre and none of them require continual rebooting etc.
    04-01-10 06:10 PM
    You obviously have a problem with your 9700 or one of your apps.

My 9700 doesn't require 'continual rebooting' to keep it running fast.
    I have no memory problems or leaks, and I very rarely see the clock icon.

Give it a wipe and fresh install of a decent OS build... sorted!
    04-01-10 06:22 PM
    Sorry, not good enough.

Firstly, Windows and its attended programs contain millions and millions of lines of code.

Secondly, I run three PCs 24/7 and I've had to reboot one of them maybe once every fortnight.

Thirdly, I'm not talking about rebooting a Blackberry because of a freeze, I'm talking about just keeping it running fast, not slowing down and without the clock icon appearing all the time and without all the apps to the clean the RAM and memory maintenance.

I've a 9700 which for me is a great phone and my main phone but I also have an iPhone, a HD2 and until recently a Pre and none of them require continual rebooting etc.
    i don't have memory leak issues with my phone, which is the biggest cause of gradual slowdown. it may depend on the OS you're running as well. personally i never have to battery pull unless i install software, and the phone still runs at 99%+.
    04-01-10 06:31 PM
    I give up!!!!!!!

After having now tried 8 times to upgrade the operating system using two different PCs, using JL_Cmder each time, deleting the Vendor.xml file each time, with and without a SIM card and with and without a data card, I give up.

Obviously my phone has some electronic lock to my carrier Optus and it won't allow an upgrade.

On each occasion just when I think the upgrade has been successful, before even activating the network connection I receive a welcome to Optus Blackberry email.

Any tried and successful suggestions will be most welcome.
    04-02-10 10:28 PM
    You don't and you never needed to. Battery pulls and resets are the biggest myth
    in all of BlackBerry. It is not and never was designed for memory management.

The only time you need to reset is if an app install / delete or OS install requires it.
    Also, if the system completely freezes. Other than that pulls / resets are just stupid.
    04-02-10 10:58 PM
    On each occasion just when I think the upgrade has been successful, before even activating the network connection I receive a welcome to Optus Blackberry email.
    I'm pretty sure that's normal for all carriers.
    04-02-10 11:01 PM
    I'm pretty sure that's normal for all carriers.
    You mean it won't upgrade and I receive the welcome message with no connection at all?
    04-03-10 12:01 AM
    Any time you update your OS, your phone will re register with the network. There is no reason to think that your OS didn't updated because you got a welcome to BB email. Go to options> about and the third line down will read the software version currently installed on your phone. If the numbers match what you just put on, you are fine.
    04-03-10 12:21 AM
    Finally got it to upgrade by not using the DM but by using the Application Loader method and it worked.

Thanks to all for their kind suggestions and patience - much appreciated.

Now I've one last problem: although I've email notifications setup on my profiles, I'm not getting LED or sounds when an email arrives.

As this is something that's important to me, I'm going to post a new topic on it.
    04-03-10 06:14 AM
    because rim still thinks this is 1998 and everything needs a reboot
    04-03-10 07:16 AM
    What are soft reboots and battery pulls?
    04-03-10 07:21 AM
    What are soft reboots and battery pulls?
    They are only myths

...but if you must know Let me google that for you
    04-03-10 07:50 AM
    Try Symbian! THAT is like some ancient Windows distro, like XP, which continually slows down and needs reboots. Seriously though I've had my 'Berry up for nearly 2 weeks now with no problem running .545. The only third party apps I use though are Windows Live Messenger, Ubertwitter, Opera and BeWeather Free.

You could try a fresh install if you're having Windows-like problems as that always used to be the solution there?

Take care, Mark.

04-03-10 07:51 AM
    No memory leak here. Only time I do soft reset's or pulls is due to an app.

I also don't mess with my OS. Still don't trust myself...not to mention mine runs fine as is....
    04-03-10 09:58 AM
    You obviously have a problem with your 9700 or one of your apps.

My 9700 doesn't require 'continual rebooting' to keep it running fast.
    I have no memory problems or leaks, and I very rarely see the clock icon.

Give it a wipe and fresh install of a decent OS build... sorted!
    Same here. Every once in a while, my 9700 will freak out and need to be put in "time out." I refer to it as time out because I yank the battery out and let the phone sit for a while, to think about what it has done.

But for as much as I use it, I'll allow it to have attitude every now and then.
    04-03-10 04:49 PM
    Try Symbian! THAT is like some ancient Windows distro, like XP, which continually slows down and needs reboots.
    What model were you using?
    Since the E51, all new models had demand paging built in. The n95 got is as a fw upgrade and so on.
    It never slowed down. The speed was always consistent on my e51, n95, e71.
    However there were memory leaks and you will lose a few MB here and there but each fw upgrade implemented better memory management.
    The biggest difference is that Nokia kept recycling CPUs and only increased the RAM in their handsets.

As for the 9700, memory leak is there but it is really not enough to make it sluggish.
    04-03-10 05:11 PM
    Nokia 5800 Xpress Music. The thing put me off touch screens for life. I gave it to my wife, lol. It still sends a shiver down my spine when I see it.

take care, Mark.

04-03-10 06:25 PM
    Touch screen anything is garbage unless you have an uber fast CPU and enough RAM to counteract the mini freezes. And this is why I believe the iPoop does not multi-task.
    It was probably disabled intentionally.
    04-03-10 07:32 PM
    It's Java,man.Java is old.The Garbage Collector sucks and they can't/won't fix it because they would need to overhaul the whole system and they can't do it.They would need to reinvent their OS, just like Palm did with WebOS. RIM can't do that unless they launch a parralel OS and gradually move all phones on it. They put more RAM just to shut us up but they didn't fix the problem with the RAM leakages.Too bad.

04-04-10 01:39 PM
    I haven't done a reboot/battery pull ever since I installed .586
    It isn't necessary. Also, there is an app called QuickPull if u want to do a battery pull via software.
    04-04-10 03:10 PM
    I've just installed .586 so I'll see what happens.
    04-04-10 04:03 PM
    Old habit. Doesn't hurt anything. IF you like it or need it, do it. Sort of like clearing the error log. Doesn't do jack, but I sure do like to do it.
    04-05-10 10:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD