Ok, so I'm a storm 1 owner and I like my phone. The only real problems I have with it is not enough app memory and instability(random reboots). I've been thinking lately I should go get a storm 2 but the Droid has also caught my attention. I'm still waiting in the Droid forum for the Droid fans to tell me one thing that it can do that my storm can't, because I'm not switching to droid simply over hype. That being said, the only advantage I can think of with a droid is stability of the OS. Now, I haven't used a storm 2 yet so I'm wondering if you guys can comment on how stable it is to help me make my choice.
    04-01-10 09:45 AM
    It all depends on what you want your phone to do. I have used both and went back to the Storm 2 because of the push email. The app store for android is great but the ease of use of the BB OS and familiarity keeps me in RIM's yard. If Rim would open their app world to more developers the Storm 2 would shine right next to the droid in that factor.

PS you must have a google gmail account for app purchases so just add another email account to your files with the droid.
    04-01-10 09:52 AM
    Well it doesn't go nuclear or anything, if that's what you mean. There's not a lot of crashes..It's not like 5.0 was at the beginning on the S1. The biggest thing seems to be divx playback. Every few leaks it doesn't work, then it does, then it doesn't...etc.

I've had no stability issues with my S2 though.
    04-01-10 09:53 AM
    Yeah really depends on your personal preference and your patience with BB. You already know the Droid has a superior native browser and a rumored better browser for BB is coming. I will tell you from my Storm 2 experience that this is a much better phone than the Storm1. I only played with the Droid Eris and I wasn't impressed with that but from what I read the Droid is much better. Try them both and make a decision.
    04-01-10 10:02 AM
    I am coming from a near flawless Storm 1 (I know it's a shock but I never had any issues with it..) and received my new Storm 2 last night and my first impressions is the amount of memory is great. Still trying to get use to the integrated buttons and the click is much louder than it was on my S1. Overall a great phone and am looking forward to putting some more time on it and getting use to it....

Storm 1= Mustang GT
    Storm 2= Mustang Cobra
    Droid = Don't do it! (Stay loyal, lol)

Hope this helps somewhat......
    04-01-10 10:19 AM
    I went from Storm 1 to Storm 2 to Droid and back to Storm 2.

Droid's biggest advantages are the browser (as mentioned) and the turn by turn GPS. I didn't like how you couldn't customize ringtones and how the phone would still vibrate during a call when you received a text. I know you could have vibrate off when receiving texts but there wasn't an option to turn it off during a call, either on or off at all times. There are a bunch of apps out there to customize but none of them does it like a BB natively. I ended going back to the Storm 2 because I don't really browse much on the phone. The turn by turn GPS is pretty nice though. I do prefer typing on the Storm 2 as well and didn't care for the Droid's physical keyboard at all. Battery life was a lot worse for me with the Droid, couldn't get through a day with it.

Like others have said, it's a matter of preference.
    04-01-10 10:30 AM
    Ok, so I'm a storm 1 owner and I like my phone. The only real problems I have with it is not enough app memory and instability(random reboots). I've been thinking lately I should go get a storm 2 but the Droid has also caught my attention. I'm still waiting in the Droid forum for the Droid fans to tell me one thing that it can do that my storm can't, because I'm not switching to droid simply over hype. That being said, the only advantage I can think of with a droid is stability of the OS. Now, I haven't used a storm 2 yet so I'm wondering if you guys can comment on how stable it is to help me make my choice.
    I tried the Droid for two weeks and went back to the Storm 2. If you use BES or more importantly Exchange email, then stay away from the Droid. Their support for Exchange is terrible. Example:

You receive a meeting request via email. You now have to note what date/time the meeting is and switch to the corporate calendar to accept (if its there).

Do you delete POP3 or IMAP email on your handheld? If so with the Droid you'll be doing it twice, as the Droid does not delete email from those accounts.

Overall the platform is not very stable either. I was plagued with force closes and there's also a bug in 2.0.1 of Android where your email accounts will sometimes disappear. I for one am not impressed right now, in the future this maybe a decent platform.

RIM needs to get on the ball and release their webkit browser, then you won't have need to stray from Blackberry.
    04-01-10 10:39 AM
    ... I didn't like how you couldn't customize ringtones...
    You actually can customize ringtones. My friend bought a droid last month and I helped him figure it out. Although it is a confusing process when it doesn't need to be. Maybe we just did it the hard way lol.

But all in all yes I agree. I prefer my s2. Its solid. And I wouldn't go to something I'm not used to like android os just because its shiny and new. BB works fine for me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-01-10 10:46 AM
    I have only played with my sons droid a few times and then a few times at the store. The browser is great but here lately the BB browser has gotten much better and with web kit in the works,,how much browsing do you actually do.? The keyboard on the droid is just terrible. Took me a while to get used to the Storm2 keyboard but once i did,,nothing compares to it. If you are a heavy texter or emailer, i think most would prefer the Storm2 keyboard and nothing compares to Rim's push email.
    04-01-10 11:11 AM
    I was in the same position as being an s1 owner but I'm telling you. The switch to the storm 2 is a very natural one.

04-01-10 11:18 AM
    Wait about two weeks and compare the HTC Incredible to the Storm2 side-by-side. Let the best phone (for you) win.
    04-01-10 11:53 AM
    I currently have Droid (personnel) & Storm2 (work), and prior to S2 I had a S1

S1 to S2....S2 is well worth the upgrade, much more stable, like the screen press much more than the S1. The more memory is a huge plus.

S2 vs Droid... I still use the S2 for work, but find I am only really using it for work email & calendar. OS on S2 is mostly stable, I haven't had to do that many battery pulls (and never have had to do a battery pull on the droid.

Stock keyboard on the droid I am not that impressed with. Never use the pullout one. However, you can easily find alternate keyboards. I use Swype which is used by tracing finger across the letters in the word. It is amazing how accurate it is & I have actuallyy gotten very quick with it. Also have another HTC IME keyboard loaded that is very good, can set up similar to S2 compact qwerty with surepress. Also speach to text is very good with this keyboard.

OS...I think droid system is actually very good, better than the S2. It did take a few weeks to get used to everything, but that is just because it is new. The new 2.1 OS they are rolling out is good. Everything is FAST on the droid.

Battery life, S2 has slight edge, but I haven't been impressed with either. I can go through a full day on both with 30% left, moderate to heavy use.

Email...hands down S2 is superior. However, the personnel email I have on droid is gmail & it pushes everything just as fast as a BB. Other emails are not push & there have been problems. I think 2.1 OS is suppose to address some of that. There are Email apps that I have heard work well, just no experience.

Apps...hands down droid....app for all sort of things and in general less expensive (lots of free) than BB apps.

Browser...hands down droid. Light years ahead of BB. Also there are non-stock browsers that are faster than the stock browser on the droid.

I use Google voice & it integrates seemless on the droid. Much superior than the BB gv app.

Screen...love the screen on the droid.

Customization....definitely droid. If you love to tinker & get into rooting & custom ROMs, droid wins. Can use my droid as wifi spot for my laptop. Just takes some desire to tinker & reading up in some of the forums.

I doubt that covers everything. It seems I only pick up my S2 now to deal with work related things, emails mostly. Heck, I even have my S2 number forward to my personnel just so I don't have to worry as much with carring around 2 phones.

This is all just my personnel observations from someone that still carries both phones. To each their own.
    04-01-10 12:32 PM
    Storm 1= Mustang GT
    Storm 2= Mustang Cobra
    Droid = Don't do it! (Stay loyal, lol)
    And to continue..

I'd say Droid = base model Camaro...

Its different than the Mustang, has some impresive specs, but some quirks/changes in how you do things..

NOTE: I'm a long time mustang fan!!

sloan31, there are many Storm1 vs Storm2 threads, and Storm2 vs Droid threads. every one comes down to the same thing... it really depends on your usage needs and your willingness to put up with some short comings.

I had a Storm1 that was flawless (after applying the electrial tape to the inside of the battery door to stiffen up the frame so the clicking was better... after that it was PERFECT).

Being a VCC member, I get many devices for free... and have a selection to choose from (see my list at -> Mark_Venture's Verizon Phone Info Page but I need to also add the Moto Devour to my list.)

My GF and I purchased Storm2's BOGO in November. Her's is working flawlessly. I'm on replacement number two due to screen click problems.

My initial thoughts on the Droid -> Droid-Review1 - Google Docs after the 2.01 update, I feel the same. I haven't tried the official ESE81 2.1 update yet, but from what I've read it doesn't remedy many of the short comings I've found, and the leaked ESE51 2.1 update didn't do anything to change my opinion.

MY Choice is Storm2, I still use it day to day. Other than the browser and higher res screen the Droid has, the Storm2 better suits my needs.

When my Storm2 had screen issues and I was waiting on the replacement, I tried the Droid again, but switched back to my Storm1 (with 5.0.0.419). Other than not being able to load ALL the apps, and not having Wifi, I was just as happy as with my Storm2.

At the same respect, I can see why many do like the Droid. I know a few guys who love them and think they are great. They love how they can be customized, hacked, you can load custom roms, lots of free apps available, etc.

Something else I'll say... this quote does a good job summarizng my biggest complaints about the Moto Droid...
    http://www.androidcentral.com/nexus-...ything-between
    ...Gmail use (and with custom gmail domains, too) is as it should be on a mobile phone. Biggest gripe is that takes too many taps to change accounts. Windows Mobile has that one nailed: Swipe left or right in the inbox to change accounts. In Android, you still have to go to the menu, hit the accounts button, then choose the account you want to switch to. That's three menus, three taps, where one swipe could get the job done. Steal. This. Now.

And that's a continuing problem with Android. It lacks refinements that could make the user experience much quicker and easier. The old joke about Palm was that they counted the number of taps it took to complete an action. Actually, that's really not so much of a joke, and something from which Android could greatly benefit....
    Last edited by Mark_Venture; 04-01-10 at 12:52 PM.
    04-01-10 12:44 PM
    I don't think all the apps for android is really a huge advantage. There are so many one time use apps or poorly made apps that its hard to find the actual useful ones. I would like to see more for BB but I feel like the market for BB apps is not so saturated and you can find useful apps a lot more efficiently.
    04-01-10 12:50 PM
    I currently have Droid (personnel) & Storm2 (work), and prior to S2 I had a S1

S1 to S2....S2 is well worth the upgrade, much more stable, like the screen press much more than the S1. The more memory is a huge plus.

S2 vs Droid... I still use the S2 for work, but find I am only really using it for work email & calendar. OS on S2 is mostly stable, I haven't had to do that many battery pulls (and never have had to do a battery pull on the droid.

Stock keyboard on the droid I am not that impressed with. Never use the pullout one. However, you can easily find alternate keyboards. I use Swype which is used by tracing finger across the letters in the word. It is amazing how accurate it is & I have actuallyy gotten very quick with it. Also have another HTC IME keyboard loaded that is very good, can set up similar to S2 compact qwerty with surepress. Also speach to text is very good with this keyboard.

OS...I think droid system is actually very good, better than the S2. It did take a few weeks to get used to everything, but that is just because it is new. The new 2.1 OS they are rolling out is good. Everything is FAST on the droid.

Battery life, S2 has slight edge, but I haven't been impressed with either. I can go through a full day on both with 30% left, moderate to heavy use.

Email...hands down S2 is superior. However, the personnel email I have on droid is gmail & it pushes everything just as fast as a BB. Other emails are not push & there have been problems. I think 2.1 OS is suppose to address some of that. There are Email apps that I have heard work well, just no experience.

Apps...hands down droid....app for all sort of things and in general less expensive (lots of free) than BB apps.

Browser...hands down droid. Light years ahead of BB. Also there are non-stock browsers that are faster than the stock browser on the droid.

I use Google voice & it integrates seemless on the droid. Much superior than the BB gv app.

Screen...love the screen on the droid.

Customization....definitely droid. If you love to tinker & get into rooting & custom ROMs, droid wins. Can use my droid as wifi spot for my laptop. Just takes some desire to tinker & reading up in some of the forums.

I doubt that covers everything. It seems I only pick up my S2 now to deal with work related things, emails mostly. Heck, I even have my S2 number forward to my personnel just so I don't have to worry as much with carring around 2 phones.

This is all just my personnel observations from someone that still carries both phones. To each their own.
    That was a great review of both phones.
    04-01-10 01:16 PM
    A lot of good info here and eveyone has given me some things to think about, thanks. I think I will go with waiting for the HTC incredible to compare before I make a decision.
    04-01-10 01:21 PM
    excellent excellent reviews by everyone. I really appreciate all of the help you guys provided here too haha
    04-01-10 03:39 PM
    android all the way if you like free apps. the storm 2 if you like to run multible apps at once. the storm is something you will always have to tinker with to keep it running. web browsing you can't even compare. i love my storm 2 and my behold 2. i'm amazing at how much better the same app looks on the android platform (USA TODAY, AP, TV GUIDE. the same apps just look dated on the blackberry. android has a free app for just about anything you can think of.
    04-01-10 04:48 PM
    Yeah really depends on your personal preference and your patience with BB. You already know the Droid has a superior native browser and a rumored better browser for BB is coming. I will tell you from my Storm 2 experience that this is a much better phone than the Storm1. I only played with the Droid Eris and I wasn't impressed with that but from what I read the Droid is much better. Try them both and make a decision.
    Does the ERIS have expandable memory? I don't think it does and storm 2 does. I also likw the screen size and push email better on the storm 2.

04-01-10 05:10 PM
    This is like going to the Dodge forum and asking if you should buy a Dodge or a Chevy. They both make good vehicles and both the Storm and the Droid are good phones. Go play with each and get the one you want, as none of us will be using your phone very often.
    04-01-10 05:34 PM
    I am more confused than ever...still can't decide which phone to upgrade to...To think that the Storm 2 was what I was thinking all this time...
    04-01-10 11:22 PM
    Whichever way you decide, you have 30 days to try out the phone. If you don't like it, take it back and try the other one.
    04-02-10 10:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD