why-blackberry-users-will-defect: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance

Interesting article that sums up how I am feeling. I am planning on the EVO-- how about you!?!

Unless something comes out prior or is of equal stature within its own realm of busisness phones.
    03-31-10 02:16 PM
    I'm going EVO when it comes out and if the CDMA Bold finally gets released I'll get that as a second line as well but I'm really geeked up for the EVO.
    03-31-10 02:25 PM
    I read a very similar article on marketwatch.com this morning.

Why BlackBerry users will defect Outside the Box - MarketWatch
    Last edited by Monty2004; 03-31-10 at 03:07 PM. Reason: included URL
    03-31-10 02:53 PM
    good find. Sad but true, it looks like a lot of us are looking at the different phones.
    I use my phone mostly for work and some social, say a 75%/25% split. For me its hard to see the use I would have for the EVO (the amazing video capability) except maybe the little ones would use it to watch movies. But thats why i have the ipod touch. Also, i hate typing on the touch screens.
    03-31-10 03:01 PM
    I'm going EVO when it comes out and if the CDMA Bold finally gets released I'll get that as a second line as well but I'm really geeked up for the EVO.
    just get google voice or line2 instead of a second phone. I had line2 but switch to google voice cause it was free.
    (wife uses the Tour, and we use it for traveling)
    03-31-10 03:02 PM
    Watch the whole world's eyes go bad after staring at their cell phone screens for hours and days at a time with all of the crap you can do on an iPhone et al. Personally I enjoy coming up for air every once in a while with my BB.
    03-31-10 03:41 PM
    I understand. I just think that if we have a underpowered bb with mediocre features It is hard to pass up a state of the art " " device. I always have the option of going back especially with sprint which allows you to have a 1 year contract. That said, I am still interested in learning what blackberry comes up with. The slider may be an answer to this article. Keyboard/touch screen. That seems to be of logic. Touch screens in my estimation make it difficult to type but it seems to be a common direction cell phones are heading in at this point.

Monty, thanks for sharing your article as well. I guess people warrant this to be surprising/relevant news.
    03-31-10 03:57 PM
    had a HTC touch pro with sprint glad I got rid of it was tired of touch screens used my key board most of the time hated windows.Have my tour now and love it
    would not jump ship and get a ***** phone or a touch screen love my blackberry and don't plan on switching
    03-31-10 04:59 PM
    I just read this article! it definitely sums up how I'm feeling. I can get a new phone any time now and if they don't announce the Bold by the end of April I'm going to get the Google phone. Whenever they decide to step up their game, maybe I'll consider buying one again.
    03-31-10 05:14 PM
    I just read this article! it definitely sums up how I'm feeling. I can get a new phone any time now and if they don't announce the Bold by the end of April I'm going to get the Google phone. Whenever they decide to step up their game, maybe I'll consider buying one again.
    AMEN.

Verizon and RIM move way too slow....they will end up launching this phone just in time to compete with a boat load of ANDROID phones and the dreaded Iphone
    03-31-10 05:39 PM
    My wife and I have a family plan with ATT that costs us around $190 a month, and that's with her 15% company discount. I have a 9700, she a iphone. I looked at Sprint and to get a unlimited everything plan will save us over $70 a month. So now I'm eyeing EVO, sweet. I love my BB but the whole line is looking long in the tooth. I'm not sure the slider will be a big boost unless the internals are up there with the Google/ Android/ iphone type phones. RIM, once the smart phone leader is now eating others dust, and that is too bad. I would definitely consider the slider but I have a feeling it will be too little too late. I love my BB, I have a 8310, 8900, and a 9700, but I think it's time to move on. Who knows, a few weeks with the EVO and I might be back to the BB family.
    03-31-10 05:45 PM
    whats this Thread have to do about the Bold 9650??

post in the right threads.. theres already threads made up in the right forums on here about this subject...
    03-31-10 05:50 PM
    Its the thread police wannabe mod!!! Run everybody!!!
    03-31-10 06:33 PM
    WATERLOO, ONTARIO--(Marketwire - March 31, 2010) - Research In Motion Limited (RIM) (NASDAQ:RIMM)(TSX:RIM), a world leader in the mobile communications market, today reported results for the three months and fiscal year ended February 27, 2010 (all figures in U.S. dollars and U.S. GAAP).

Annual Highlights:

Revenue grew 35% over the prior fiscal year to $15 billion
    BlackBerry(R) subscriber account base grew 65% over the prior fiscal year to over 41 million, with a record 4.9 million net new subscriber accounts added in Q4
    BlackBerry smartphone shipments grew more than 40% over the prior fiscal year to 37 million
    BlackBerry was the number one selling smartphone brand in the United States at the end of calendar 2009(1)
    GAAP earnings per share grew 30% over the prior fiscal year to $4.31 per share diluted
    03-31-10 06:39 PM
    Jensen, thanks for your unneeded comment. But if you'd like me to parallel the relevancy to this thread I can do it a number of ways. The 9650 is the going to the be the bb on the CDMA market. Therefore it will be the device trying to hold together Blackberrys market share at the moment. This article has to do with fleeting customers looking to move else where. The majority of the constituency here is now complaints on how behind blackberry is with its 9650 and how the device is underpowered compared to its chief competitors. Thus making this a worthwhile topic and corroborating the general sentiment of many of its customers--in particular, those waiting for the bold " " 9650.

That and the fact that we are talking about a published article and blackberry's future.

Thanks for reading,

Brian
    Last edited by scheets973; 03-31-10 at 07:06 PM.
    03-31-10 06:55 PM

Interesting article that sums up how I am feeling. I am planning on the EVO-- how about you!?!

Unless something comes out prior or is of equal stature within its own realm of busisness phones.
    This article is based on an old survey posted on BGR two weeks ago:

Crowd Science survey: 40% of BlackBerry users would move to iPhone � Boy Genius Report

Read the comments; there are a lot of readers who pointed out how statistically flawed the survey was. As many posters point out, they only interviewed about 95 blackberry users and 108 apple users. There are over 41 million blackberry users in the world. Do you think 95 users represents the 41 million out there? Any of us could easily find 95 blackberry users who have different opinions on whether they would switch.
    03-31-10 07:09 PM
    had a HTC touch pro with sprint glad I got rid of it was tired of touch screens used my key board most of the time hated windows.Have my tour now and love it
    would not jump ship and get a ***** phone or a touch screen love my blackberry and don't plan on switching
    Yes, the Touch Pro is a great comparison touchscreen to the iPhone. They're practically the same
    03-31-10 07:12 PM
    Yes, the Touch Pro is a great comparison touchscreen to the iPhone. They're practically the same
    Why should it matter? Touchscreens are similiar in one thing, it's TOUCHSCREEN.

The iphone and the htc products feel similar when it comes to the touchscreen, only thing thats different is the OS.
    03-31-10 07:14 PM

Crowd Science survey: 40% of BlackBerry users would move to iPhone � Boy Genius Report

Read the comments; there are a lot of readers who pointed out how statistically flawed the survey was. As many posters point out, they only interviewed about 95 blackberry users and 108 apple users. There are over 41 million blackberry users in the world. Do you think 95 users represents the 41 million out there? Any of us could easily find 95 blackberry users who have different opinions on whether they would switch.
    Well back in college, i took a few polling classes and Although we can skew statistics I would argue that accurate. Most estimations by pundits is that blackberry sometime in the future will lose out to the android market. I am not saying that is good or bad but rather, just saying. I actually fear that when android takes over the market they will use it to push more advertisements and start charging exorbitant rates for programs and other nuanced features as applications develop.
    03-31-10 08:08 PM
    My $.02
    To me the future of smart phone will be media and social networking. With EVO having two cameras running at 1Ghz on a 4G network on an open OS...the possibilities are endless. The 9650 will will be no where near this and doubt the slider will be either. Next iphone will be 4G possibly with 2 cameras....wheres RIM going??
    03-31-10 08:17 PM
    Well back in college, i took a few polling classes and Although we can skew statistics I would argue that accurate. Most estimations by pundits is that blackberry sometime in the future will lose out to the android market. I am not saying that is good or bad but rather, just saying. I actually fear that when android takes over the market they will use it to push more advertisements and start charging exorbitant rates for programs and other nuanced features as applications develop.
    My point is that survey is a joke. I know some users who've switched from BB to the iphone and droid, and they missed a lot of the features that they didn't think they took for granted on a bb: bbm, push email, being able to choose your own browser (something apple wont let you do), multitasking, etc..so they ended up switching back to bb. Are these people representative of every apple/droid user out there? Maybe not, but Crowd Science would believe it based on how they conduct surveys. 95 users out of 41 million is hardly a good sample size.

Not sure how you can trust these so-called 'pundits' on a prediction. I remember when the RAZR was popular five years ago and all those pundits thought Motorola would control the phone market for a long time. The phone industry changes all the time, and we'll have to see how the phones and OS's evolve for these different companies.
    03-31-10 08:26 PM
    I do not know if I would move to anything else....as I really only need a true email machine as I travel everyday. The Palms and Androids do not come close to a BB.
    03-31-10 08:40 PM
    My wife and I have a family plan with ATT that costs us around $190 a month, and that's with her 15% company discount. I have a 9700, she a iphone. I looked at Sprint and to get a unlimited everything plan will save us over $70 a month. So now I'm eyeing EVO, sweet. I love my BB but the whole line is looking long in the tooth. I'm not sure the slider will be a big boost unless the internals are up there with the Google/ Android/ iphone type phones. RIM, once the smart phone leader is now eating others dust, and that is too bad. I would definitely consider the slider but I have a feeling it will be too little too late. I love my BB, I have a 8310, 8900, and a 9700, but I think it's time to move on. Who knows, a few weeks with the EVO and I might be back to the BB family.
    A cell phone bill "should" be based on cost and quality of service not the phones. I have Sprint and pay even less for a family plan because of a few discounts. Been with Sprint almost 15 years, they work perfectly in my area.

Don't get me wrong, I am a gadget junkie and want/need the latest and greatest. But I will never switch to ATT or Verizon for $70 more a month than what Sprint offers because they are all almost equal in my area.

I cannot wait to see the Evo and find out when NYC will get the 4G service, Sprint says this year so hoping summer or fall.
    03-31-10 08:52 PM

I love my curve, it's my first smartphone, I don't know how I got along without one.

I can't picture myself with a touchscreen phone, they seem like they require two hands more often than a blackberry and I hate the screen getting smudged.

If I were to switch, it would be for political reasons. Balsillie, one of RIM's executives is a global government proponent.
    03-31-10 10:55 PM

I'm with you on this one. That's a 0.0002% sample size. I'm no statistician, so if someone out there is....what is a good sample size that would have any meaning? How were the 95 participants randomly sampled? Were they even truly randomly sampled? As one response said, surveys can be skewed but I don't think thry really skewed any results here. I think most surveys are only as good as how well the sample is taken.

As for myself, my mobile device is first and foremost a mobile communications device...all in one phone, email, sms, and messenger. I won't switch away.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by EvolutionGSR; 04-01-10 at 10:00 AM.
    04-01-10 09:57 AM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD