Hello crackberry community,

I got a new Curve 8520 just resently and have a problem with my internet connection. I use my Curve without data plan/bis. To go in the internet I use Opera 5.0 and for Emails logicmail. To connect to the internet, I changed my APN according to my provider setting:

apn: internet (thats for o2 Germany)
    No authentification

Username/PW: blank

On the first day, everything worked just fine, Opera aswell as Logicmail. I also had a EDGE symbol in the upper right corner. On the second date I found, that Opera and logicmail would not connect via Wifi. So I started to play around with settings. Anyway, since then Opera and Logicmail refused to connect via EDGE, however Wifi worked.... I could not figure out the ressons, so I tried to undo my setting changes. And yesterday I was finally able to connect via EDGE again. And here is the funny thing: This morning, I got the same errors agian, when trying to connect via EDGE. I did not do anything with the phone last night, it just refuses to connect. It still shows me the edge sign, but opera always tells me, that it is unable to connect. I set the application application permisson for both programs to "prompt" under the point "internet" to see if the phone even tries to connect, but it does not. Wifi still works fine. It seems that my Blackberry forgot about EDGE and always wants to connect via wifi.Can anyone help me out here?

Thanks,

baker
    03-31-10 04:59 AM
    There is a setting for data you set somewhere in Options that will be data, wifi preferred, wifi only, etc. Check that.
    03-31-10 05:59 AM
    Hi Jackbox,

I found this on the Internet:

"Under "Manage Connections"
    "Mobile Network Options"
    Under the first section (Data Services), "Connection Preference", you can select one of the following:
    Mobile Network Only
    Mobile Network Preferred
    Wi-Fi Only
    Wi-Fi Preferred."

However in my menu there is only

Data Services: on
    while Roaming: on

There is no "Connection Preference"
    03-31-10 07:51 AM
    As far as I know EDGE is when you are connected to RIM's servers, meaning full data access.

edge/GPRS is when you're connected to the carrier and got some data working, but not exactly that means your apps will connect.

Since you said you don't have a data plan, I think something is wrong from the start. You should only be able to connect via wifi. And we know not everything works in WiFi.

There is a setting for data you set somewhere in Options that will be data, wifi preferred, wifi only, etc. Check that.
    Could you post a screenshot of that? Don't get me wrong but I search for that since I got the 8520 (back on 4.6.1.2xx, now I'm on 5.0) and I never managed to find it. All I ever see if the Browser Options where you can change to HotSpot Browser.
    03-31-10 07:56 AM
    As far as I know EDGE is when you are connected to RIM's servers, meaning full data access.

edge/GPRS is when you're connected to the carrier and got some data working, but not exactly that means your apps will connect.

Since you said you don't have a data plan, I think something is wrong from the start. You should only be able to connect via wifi. And we know not everything works in WiFi.

Well it says "edge" (is there a difference between small an capital letters?)
    03-31-10 08:09 AM
    Yes. Capital EDGE means you have full data access, small edge is text/MMS ONLY. WiFi should work regardless because you're not using the carrier's network.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-31-10 09:57 AM
    I use 8520 with o2 germany too. APN is surfo2!!! I have Dataplane and had big Letters GPRS and EDGE. But since one week no EDGE only GPRS... Maybe O2 have some trouble? Maybe i totaly missunderstood your problem?!
    Andree

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    03-31-10 12:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD