With the EVO coming, are we going to see new pricing plans?..

Now, while I personally do not expect any premium due to the 4G performance (simply due to the lack of universal coverage) we are still left with the ability of the phone to be a hotspot..(which replaces a $59.99 MiFi).

Clearly Sprint should charge for this feature.. after all, i would dump my data card in a heartbeat.

So i think we are in for some new plans... perhaps:

1. a combined phone plus tether (good news for all BB users),
    and
    2. a combined phone plus hotspot plan

either way we can still expect good value... i just priced VZ for kicks this am and their UL plan is $145 vs our $100.. go figure..lol

So Sprint, if you are listening.. make tethering a $19 option with hard 5G limit and hotspot a $29 option with 10G limit and i will buy stock!..

thoughts?
    03-30-10 07:52 AM
    Well - we may not see new pricing any time soon. Right now the 3G/4G air cards are $59.99 - exact same as the strictly 3G coverage - and the 4G is unlimited (3G has a 5gb hard cap).

I would expect the 4G plans to change as more areas get coverage, but while it's still in roll out it may stay the same.

HOWEVER - using the phone as a hotspot may be an additional fee. I suppose we'll have to wait and see.
    03-30-10 09:54 AM
    I really, really, really, doubt the sprint will change anything for the EVO.

With hotspot, with out.

In saying that, I doubt you can do hotspot in 3g mode. Only when you have a 4g signal. So stress to the 3g area is kept to a minimal. But in saying that. I have to say sprint network is used.

So unless they start to pile on a ton of new customers in the next year.

I think you will not see any change in prices.

To hotspot, upload, download, and consume as much as you want. Until the network starts to gain some use.

With so many people leaving, like 10 million, sprint just needs people to use there network.

To find out, what we know, they are a great company.

So dump your mifi card, buy the EVO. To sprint it keeps one customer happy.

I hate blackberry. And will be so thrilled to ditch them. Just have to wait.
    03-30-10 10:01 AM
    There will be some magic fee rolled in somewhere.
    03-30-10 03:32 PM

In saying that, I doubt you can do hotspot in 3g mode. Only when you have a 4g signal. So stress to the 3g area is kept to a minimal. But in saying that. I have to say sprint network is used.
    You will be able to have the EVO as a hotspot in 3G areas.
    03-30-10 05:49 PM
    There are 2 different ways that Spring can go about selling the EVO.

1. Sell the phone without a large subsidy and keep plans the same enabling all users to use all the features.

2. Sell the phone with a large subsidy and change the plans according the features the customers want.

I agree that Sprint NEEDS customers in the worst way, but they can't give away service to everyone for less than cost of operations. They need to really hit a home run with the EVO after the repeated failures for phones that were supposed to be company savers. I'm hoping they can actually show some post paid gains to start giving the big boys a run for their money!
    03-30-10 05:54 PM
    Well i guess that was my point..
    Sprints plans are terrific value but they are leaving money on the table by not offering tethering for a fee.. and certainly a mobile hotspot is also extra value added.. PROVIDED they dont get silly with the fee structure they can have a winner here..

There are 2 different ways that Spring can go about selling the EVO.

1. Sell the phone without a large subsidy and keep plans the same enabling all users to use all the features.

2. Sell the phone with a large subsidy and change the plans according the features the customers want.

I agree that Sprint NEEDS customers in the worst way, but they can't give away service to everyone for less than cost of operations. They need to really hit a home run with the EVO after the repeated failures for phones that were supposed to be company savers. I'm hoping they can actually show some post paid gains to start giving the big boys a run for their money!
    03-30-10 07:20 PM
    If they would just offer an option on everything data plans for tethering they could get more money, and more people using their data. Without having to resort to apps like tether and the like.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-30-10 10:33 PM
    With the EVO coming, are we going to see new pricing plans?..

So i think we are in for some new plans... perhaps:

1. a combined phone plus tether (good news for all BB users),

2. a combined phone plus hotspot plan
    Unfortunatly this wont happen, we (sprint) will be fully discontinuing our PAM server by the end of 2010.

I dont see our plans changing any for the EVO once i have any information ill post it for you guys.
    03-31-10 02:26 PM
    Yeah with all the moving away from tethering, I seriously would not plan on anything coming back...

Plan changes this early on 4g would be borderline stupid, since most can't even utilize it. It's more of a question of "when" they will happen. Eventually, expect all carriers to increase data plan costs as 4g is more ubiquitous (it's not just related to 4g either, more people are using more data in general).
    03-31-10 05:51 PM
    I agree with those that dont expect a plan change. I also remember hearing in one of the many EVO videos I've drooled over that they plan on having very aggressive (read affordable) pricing on this phone. They know this phone can lure people over in a large way (the only 4G phone will have a draw!).

Eventually will plans change? I'd expect yes... but not at launch IMHO. And I'd think this would rock for those of us that get in early. As long as I dont make another contract.. I'll enjoy the pricing and phone for as long as I want/can!
    04-01-10 06:09 PM
    Sprint are leaving money on the table by not offering tethering..

There is a real niche of customers who would like and would pay for casual use of PAM..while on vacation etc.. (not the multi GB everything streaming dorm kid).. but you know.. a guy who goes on vacation.

How does sprint help as a provider?..FOR ONE WEEKS USE of a laptop with an aircard its $59.99/mo *2 and seasonal standby for 10mo.. (you can only use seasonal standby for 6mo at a time) so call it around $200 even..

Gee thanks Dan!

Unfortunatly this wont happen, we (sprint) will be fully discontinuing our PAM server by the end of 2010.

I dont see our plans changing any for the EVO once i have any information ill post it for you guys.
    04-01-10 06:30 PM
    Seasonal Standby extends your contract by how many months you use it any way.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-04-10 11:13 PM
    Isn't one of the most highly touted services of the Evo that it can act as a mobile hotspot? I believe sprint would be remiss to not enable this feature, which obviously is useless without tethering.

Not exactly a deal breaker, but it does make ya wonder...
    04-05-10 06:07 PM
    Isn't one of the most highly touted services of the Evo that it can act as a mobile hotspot? I believe sprint would be remiss to not enable this feature, which obviously is useless without tethering.

Not exactly a deal breaker, but it does make ya wonder...
    Not sure, because VZ is offering the Pre+ with free wifi hotspot access (at a significantly lower price for the handset than the Evo will be of course), while I don't think Sprint is at all (the original Pre is virtually the same phone so they could obviously)...
    04-05-10 06:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD