I don't use the Blackberry Messenger and am annoyed that it runs in the background. Before upgrading to OS 5 (not BBM v5), I could simply remove it via the BB or BB Desktop Manager, now it would seem that the ability to uninstall Blackberry Messenger is no longer an option. It is grayed out on the BB Desktop in the Application Add / Remove section and the option to remove it has been removed from the new OS 5.0 Applications section of the setup (on the Tour).

Has RIM in their wisdom now decided that I must have it running all the time despite the fact that I never use it?

Arrghhh....

Oh well, I guess that they improved performance with OS 5, thus they decided they can rob me of a bit of the new performance by keeping non-essential apps running in the background outside of my control. I guess they have learned new tricks from Verizon forcing me to have icons I don't want either (What ever happened to you buy it, you own it... At Burger King, I can 'have it my way' for a buck... ). Ok, I don't eat at Burger King, but you get my drift (for those of you old enough to remember the commercials before the creepy King arrived...)
    Last edited by Firf; 03-30-10 at 02:10 AM.
    03-30-10 02:08 AM
    Umm I'm almost positive you can delete BBM in options -> applications -> core
    03-30-10 02:39 AM
    Nope... just double checked (actually quadruple checked if you count my earlier tries, of course, under CORE, where it is listed. Also in the Desktop Manager (where it is now pre-checked and grayed out). It is listed, but no delete option in any of the settings or menu options

Again, this is only in Tour OS 5.0, had no problem removing it in Tour OS 4.7. I'm not referring to BB Messenger versions...

Thanks anyways....
    03-30-10 02:43 AM
    Yeah I noticed the same thing and posted about it on the announcement thread.

I'm totally in agreement about BBM - I also uninstalled it on 4.7 because I had zero interest in it and it just took up RAM and space on the app switch menu.

Someone elsewhere on CB mentioned something about some sort of integration between SMS and BBM on 5.0 - a call history thing or something.. so maybe that's why they did it. I only hope that the benefits of 5.0 outweigh this issue. So far that's 2 strikes - it also takes a lot longer than the interminable 5 1/2 minutes 4.7 took to boot too.. around 8 minutes now!
    03-30-10 08:36 AM
    Yea I hate the fact that the bbm is running in the background I dont use it and have no plans to use it. I would like it off as well. Everyone I talk to has Verison so it is free to text them so I have no need for this and the fact that it is always running and taking up space drives me nuts.
    03-30-10 08:44 AM
    I'm right there with ya'll. I sure wish I could remove it.
    03-30-10 09:57 AM
    I could not imagine not having BBM on my tour. I use it not only for my other BB friends but also all of my SMS texts as well. You can add SMS contacts to it and all text messages go directly to the BBM. Its a great app to use. I beleive the SMS contact option is new to OS5.0. You might give it a try and see what you think. It does stink that it can not be deleted if you don't want to use it though.
    03-30-10 11:34 AM
    You can remove it. Options>Applications>Add-On. It isn't in the core applications. It is in the add-on applications. You click it and click delete.
    03-30-10 11:43 AM
    I'm just not a huge messenger type of guy. I occasionally use Google Talk but that's all. I'd like to free up as much memory as possible by removing it.
    03-30-10 11:43 AM
    You can remove it. Options>Applications>Add-On. It isn't in the core applications. It is in the add-on applications. You click it and click delete.
    I'm looking at Options > Applications > Add-on right now and it isn't listed.

This is on OS 5.0.0.591
    03-30-10 11:46 AM
    I don't think its deletable anymore. they moved it to being a core application. Delete is no longer an option for BBM
    03-30-10 11:51 AM
    Poo! Oh well.
    03-30-10 11:55 AM
    You can install a different version, it will then show up in the add-on area, then you can remove it. It's a pain but it works.

If you have BB App world you can install through that, then uninstall it. Worked on the beta version of .591 anyway.
    03-30-10 12:02 PM
    Anyone else have any other suggestions? It shows up as a core application in 5.0 so it can't be deleted. I have very few people that I use BBM with so it's pointless to have it and not use it!
    03-30-10 01:19 PM
    You can install a different version, it will then show up in the add-on area, then you can remove it. It's a pain but it works.

If you have BB App world you can install through that, then uninstall it. Worked on the beta version of .591 anyway.
    Just to confirm that this works. I installed App World, downloaded the latest version of BBM available there. Rebooted, then I was able to delete it from the Add-on section in Applications. Another reboot and it's gone.
    03-30-10 01:22 PM
    I'm looking at Options > Applications > Add-on right now and it isn't listed.

This is on OS 5.0.0.591
    I have os .591. But I also have a newer bbm. That I guess is why I can delete it.
    03-30-10 01:40 PM
    It's not in the add-on section. It is under core applications. And I have a newer 9630--new 3 weeks ago. I think it's here to stay and I don't like it at all. I will never use it.
    03-30-10 08:25 PM
    Using bbsak you can just remove the cod file. I am pretty sure it will remove it

this is the bbm cod file

net_rim_bbapi_blackberrymessenger.cod

03-30-10 08:53 PM
    I just deleted BBM from .591, go to blackberry.com/messenger from your phone's browser and download the newest version (it didn't come with the .591 update) and install it, then BBM will be moved to the "add on" apps. Then you'll be able to delete it.
    03-30-10 11:06 PM
    Same here, I downloaded the updated version then I was able to delete with no problem from the add-on section... worked great
    04-05-10 09:01 PM
    Great tip. Thanks.
    04-07-10 10:42 PM
    I just deleted BBM from .591, go to blackberry.com/messenger from your phone's browser and download the newest version (it didn't come with the .591 update) and install it, then BBM will be moved to the "add on" apps. Then you'll be able to delete it.

Tried that, didn't work. Still showing greyed-out in DM.

I've deleted apps via DM before - matter of fact, I deleted BBM that way back when I was on OS 4.7.

Strangely, it was listed as "Update" - even after I updated it OTA as you suggested. I went through the update process, I thought maybe it reverted it to 5.0.0.0 (the fourth digit is not shown in the DM list), but the associated files seem to be listed as 5.0.0.66. (I think the one I downloaded OTA earlier today was 5.0.0.57? On the BB itself in Options, it just shows as "5.0.0")

So I guess I'm still a little unclear about how DM handles apps. The context-specific help for DM is also pretty sketchy. Doesn't really even clarify whether "update device software" means just the firmware, or what. Because that section also gives you an option to add, remove or update apps.

I think the UI is confusing. (Using the latest build of DM 5.01 here)
    04-12-10 11:00 PM
    Worked! Install BBM from BB browser, then Delete it from BB menu, NOT DM! Leave DM alone
    05-01-10 09:30 AM
    Worked! Install BBM from BB browser, then Delete it from BB menu, NOT DM! Leave DM alone
    Hmm, well you appear to be in Italy using a Bold 9700, not a Tour 9630 in the USA like me.

Nonetheless can I ask - what do you mean "Install BBM from BB browser"? What URL are you pointing the browser to? (I thought people here were suggesting upgrading BBM from Appworld before deleting.)

And when you write "Delete it from BB menu", do you mean "System Options/Applications"? Because on mine, BBM is listed under "Core" and is not deleteable. (It also seems that the BBM files are tagged with version number "5.0.0.66", which is apparently newer than the version Appworld is offering. (5.0.0.57)

I'm running OS 5.0.0.591 on Verizon in the USA.
    05-01-10 11:42 AM
    Hmm, well you appear to be in Italy using a Bold 9700, not a Tour 9630 in the USA like me.

Nonetheless can I ask - what do you mean "Install BBM from BB browser"? What URL are you pointing the browser to? (I thought people here were suggesting upgrading BBM from Appworld before deleting.)

And when you write "Delete it from BB menu", do you mean "System Options/Applications"? Because on mine, BBM is listed under "Core" and is not deleteable. (It also seems that the BBM files are tagged with version number "5.0.0.66", which is apparently newer than the version Appworld is offering. (5.0.0.57)

I'm running OS 5.0.0.591 on Verizon in the USA.

Ok, I'll try to be more precise!
    In my quoted message above there is a link mentioned, so I was talking about that one: http://www.blackberry.com/messenger. ,not AppWorld (that is something that someone do not have).

About the fact of the browser, I was saying that you must open your BlackBerry browser (configured in the options as Browser, not Internet Explorer or Firefox) and navigate to the website up here, and go for installing BBM via OTA directly from there, like you do usually when you install an app via OTA without AppWorld.

If that version is prior the one you have installed, you should still be able to install over yours.

When you're be finished, BBM will be listed in your Application list under App-on instead of Core, from where it will be removable!

My question is: is there a way to trick DM by removing some files from the os installation folder so to prevent DM to reinstall BBM every time I add an app with apploader?? Someone here was talking about a .cod file...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-02-10 10:36 AM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD