So, I'm currently on ATT and i got a few questions about my BB and the imei sweep.

i understand that att does imei sweeps and automatically puts a data plan on your smartphone, regardless if you want to use it.

what about if my phone is an unlocked tmobile 8320? would the imei sweep pick it up and automatically put a data plan on my account?
    03-28-10 08:17 PM
    In a word... yes.
    03-28-10 09:22 PM
    Hmm, does that apply to any other phones too? I ask because my friend uses an unlocked HTC HD2 (international version, he got it prior to Tmobile's release), and uses it on ATT. he's had it for months and has not been caught by the imei sweep.
    03-28-10 10:34 PM
    It could be because the system hasn't noticed what the device is quite yet because the device imei's for the HTC HD2 aren't in it yet. But once the system notices, then a data plan is sure to follow.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-28-10 10:45 PM
    Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse, I just wanna get some more info on this.

Since I have a Tmobile curve, which is unlocked for me since I use att, am I exempt from having a forced data plan stuck down my throat? I ask cause of the data policy from ATT:

"Smartphone/BlackBerry Plans: Smartphone/BlackBerry plans may ONLY be used with AT&T-certified RIM BlackBerry devices, and smartphones for the following purposes: (i) Internet browsing; (ii) email; and (iii) intranet access (including access to corporate intranets, email, and individual productivity applications like customer relationship management, sales force, and field service automation). Data Services sold for use with AT&T RIM BlackBerry devices, and smartphones may not be used with other devices, including but not limited to, Personal Computers, PC Data Cards and the like, either by tethering devices together, by SIM card transfer or any other means."

From what I gather, att-certified means att branded phone, and since my phone is technically a tmobile phone, am I safe to use this without a forced data plan?
    03-29-10 02:23 AM
    I would not assume that the statement "AT&T Certified" means strickly AT&T branded Blackberry's. All 4 major carriers have the Curve in some form. From what I have read from other AT&T users in this forum at some point AT&T's sytem will recognize that you are using a Blackberry and will begin to charge for the data plan.
    03-29-10 03:45 AM
    Does ATT have their own branded version of the 8320? If so, then yes, there's a good chance you'd be stuck with a data plan.

Now, let's say that you are using a phone that is of a model that ATT has never officially offered (for example - the myTouch). Then there's a good chance that ATT won't recognize the IMEI and can't put a data plan on.

03-29-10 10:44 AM
    Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse, I just wanna get some more info on this.

Since I have a Tmobile curve, which is unlocked for me since I use att, am I exempt from having a forced data plan stuck down my throat? I ask cause of the data policy from ATT:

"Smartphone/BlackBerry Plans: Smartphone/BlackBerry plans may ONLY be used with AT&T-certified RIM BlackBerry devices, and smartphones for the following purposes: (i) Internet browsing; (ii) email; and (iii) intranet access (including access to corporate intranets, email, and individual productivity applications like customer relationship management, sales force, and field service automation). Data Services sold for use with AT&T RIM BlackBerry devices, and smartphones may not be used with other devices, including but not limited to, Personal Computers, PC Data Cards and the like, either by tethering devices together, by SIM card transfer or any other means."

From what I gather, att-certified means att branded phone, and since my phone is technically a tmobile phone, am I safe to use this without a forced data plan?
    No, it's still a BB. The way I read this is that it applies to Data Plans, not phones. Meaning you can't use your BB Data Plan for other uses.

Att WILL eventually find out you have a BB or other smartphone and ADD the data plan to it for you. When I went to them to activate a 9530, they immediately knew it was a BB by the IMEI. As for the post above having the HTC phone with no data for months. Att made data plans a requirement in September or so. If you had a smartphone prior to that then you are grandfathered in, but ALL BB's after that MUST have one.
    03-29-10 11:24 AM
    what if the imei of the bb was never reported to ATT. on the OLAM (online account manager) it's said that I was using my old phone model, which was some LG, which means the imei on my phone account was still the LG? I've used the BB for about a month or so without any problems while the imei registered was still the LG.
    03-29-10 12:39 PM
    what if the imei of the bb was never reported to ATT. on the OLAM (online account manager) it's said that I was using my old phone model, which was some LG, which means the imei on my phone account was still the LG? I've used the BB for about a month or so without any problems while the imei registered was still the LG.
    Once they do one of their sweeps, then the data will be added. So don't call in for any questions or concerns about your account because they will probably do a sweep even though the sweeps can happen at anytime. Once the IMEI number from your BB comes up they will know it's from a BB, no matter if it's an Att device or not.
    03-29-10 12:44 PM
    sounds like i got my answer. thanks everyone
    03-29-10 05:46 PM
    Keep in mind that AT&T can identify unlocked phone models the moment you connect to the network. Can't say much, but AT&T knows that I am using a RIM 9530 BlackBerry Storm, despite it being an unlocked Verizon-branded phone.
    04-20-10 01:43 PM
    RIM hands out their rather complete IMEI list to all carriers, so AT&T could know you're using a smartphone. The same cannot be said for phones branded from overseas carriers or completely unbraded phones.
    04-21-10 11:18 AM
    Not so. RIM has nothing to do with a carrier's IMEI enumeration.

Each carrier has their own methods for identifying devices, and there are public services that identify devices by the IMEI numbers, too.

Oh hey, look at this.
    International Numbering Plans, � 2001-2010
    04-21-10 12:47 PM
    In a word... yes.
    It could be because the system hasn't noticed what the device is quite yet because the device imei's for the HTC HD2 aren't in it yet. But once the system notices, then a data plan is sure to follow.

I don't know what all the fuss is about with everyone saying you will be slapped with a data plan. I'm sure everyone who is saying you'll be forced into a plan has no experience in this situation.

Question to everyone saying you will get a data plan: Have you ever used a non-AT&T branded BB on AT&T?

I have been using a T-Mobile 8900 that I bought from eBay since summer 2009 and I haven't been hit with a data plan by AT&T. My phone shows up as an unknown cell phone with a generic cell phone image on my online account. I have placed people's sim cards (that have BB data plans with AT&T) into my phone to use internet a bunch of times and still have no had an issue. I am still without a data plan.

I hope my experience is useful for anyone out there trying to buy a BB without a data plan. GL!
    04-25-10 02:53 AM
    ^since youve had the same phone since the summer of 09, youre grandfathered in. if you switch to another smartphone, theyll add the data plan.
    04-25-10 08:12 AM
    Well if the IMEI is not an AT&T branded device then the IMEI would come up unknown and usually there is a restriction that will prevent iPhone data plans or Blackberry Data plans from being forced on an unknown device. Hope this helps!
    04-26-10 01:33 AM
    ^since youve had the same phone since the summer of 09, youre grandfathered in. if you switch to another smartphone, theyll add the data plan.
    This is absolutely correct. It started in Oct 09.
    04-26-10 08:07 AM
    No way around it! If you want a smart phone so bad..there's the catch. Pointless to have the phone without internet anyways!
    04-26-10 02:39 PM
    There IS a WAY around it.....

It's rather simple

The Nokia E71x works fine with the unlimited regular data on the account. However AT&T MADE it to where you have to add the 30.00 data charge on there.

My friend has an Unlocked E71 and I added that IMEI on my roomates account who has the E71x and his data works perfect.

They are on to the E75 and looking into the E72 as well.

10.00 data for a PDA, you can't beat it.
    04-26-10 02:51 PM
    Well if the IMEI is not an AT&T branded device then the IMEI would come up unknown and usually there is a restriction that will prevent iPhone data plans or Blackberry Data plans from being forced on an unknown device. Hope this helps!
    Not true, they know. For example, I put a Storm 1 on Att. When I called them to add the phone (I wanted the data plan) and gave them the IMEI number they instantly knew it was a Blackberry. They even told me that they had to add the data plan.
    04-26-10 02:52 PM
    why have a bb and not a data plan????will still never get over anyone not wanting the data plan....whole point in having a bb is to be connected?right?
    05-04-10 01:30 PM
    what if you a regular phone since 08 and now I want a smartphone. can i still be "grandfathered" in or do i have to have a smartphone in the beginning?

I was hoping I can get a sprint HTC touch pro 2 and unlock it and get it on to AT&T network without having to get a data plan. I know AT&T have the HTC tilt 2 which is AT&T version of HTC touch pro 2 will they know the IMEI?
    11-12-10 06:26 PM
    what if you a regular phone since 08 and now I want a smartphone. can i still be "grandfathered" in or do i have to have a smartphone in the beginning?

I was hoping I can get a sprint HTC touch pro 2 and unlock it and get it on to AT&T network without having to get a data plan. I know AT&T have the HTC tilt 2 which is AT&T version of HTC touch pro 2 will they know the IMEI?
    You are only grandfathered if you had the smart phone prior to the policy change. Only that phone is grandfathered. If you upgrade that phone, you will be required to have a data plan.
    11-12-10 10:03 PM
    So, I'm currently on ATT and i got a few questions about my BB and the imei sweep.

i understand that att does imei sweeps and automatically puts a data plan on your smartphone, regardless if you want to use it.

what about if my phone is an unlocked tmobile 8320? would the imei sweep pick it up and automatically put a data plan on my account?
    No - their data base only has imei info for AT&T branded devices. They have ways of checking imei numbers that are not in their system but this isn't something that happens with a 'sweep'.

Last edited by lucky45; 11-24-10 at 02:44 PM.
    11-24-10 02:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD