Hi everyone...

I am looking at upgrading my Curve 8330 to either the Storm 2 or Palm Pre Plus...

The Palm Pre Plus has never really been on my radar until now...

My main concerns/questions are this:
    Battery Life (can it make it easy through the day with one charge and normal use - text, email, web browsing, facebook, twitter, etc.)
    Applications (that's part of the reason why I like my Blackberry so much, it does everything that I want it to)
    OS Stability (personally, I think the Android OS is a joke and needs some serious work. It has lots of potential, but it isn't there yet). How does the WebOS compare?

Any thoughts, direction to other sites or topics is appreciated!

Thanks!

PS - I'm still trying to learn the right way to search topics. My results bring back a wide assortment of posts.
    03-27-10 02:10 PM
    I've had numerous Palm products and loved them all ...but ...my concern is ...will the company last ? They did not do well last quarter
    03-27-10 02:44 PM
    I've heard everybody complaining about the Pre's battery life. It's not a good choice if you need a great battery.

There are many more apps for the Palm Pre than there are for Blackberrys, and everybody I know who has used a Palm Pre says the OS is pretty damn good.
    03-27-10 05:21 PM
    Pre battery life is borderline pathetic, just have to go in expecting that.

App selection is still kinda slim at this point.

You gotta remember, webOs is very young... Android is older and more developed than webOs.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-27-10 05:50 PM
    I've had numerous Palm products and loved them all ...but ...my concern is ...will the company last ? They did not do well last quarter
    from the other topics ive read through,
    the possibility of Palm disappearing soon most likely not.

it will be a slow and painful death.
    03-27-10 06:21 PM
    Pre battery life is borderline pathetic, just have to go in expecting that.

App selection is still kinda slim at this point.

You gotta remember, webOs is very young... Android is older and more developed than webOs.

Pathetic battery life - Strike 1

Slim app selection - Strike 2

Early stage webOS (like Android) - Strike 3

The Palm Pre Plus is OUT OF HERE!! I'm going with the Storm 2...

Thanks all!
    03-27-10 07:00 PM
    Solid choice.
    03-28-10 01:53 AM
    Slim app selection - Strike 2
    i would have agreed with your choice.
    but did you include homebrew apps with that app selection?
    I'll admit its still small but those homebrew apps do help out alot
    03-28-10 04:51 PM
    LOL. I have a Palm Pre and I'm here about to post a message about which BlackBerry I should ditch it for. You should run away from the Pre like the hot mess that it is. The battery life is amazing; I never knew a phone could die so fast! I mean you can do NOTHING with it and it will still last you ten hours if you're lucky! Don't be lured in by the attractive OS--it's nice but you will only be using it while attached to the charger. Run, run away!
    03-30-10 12:50 AM
    Homebrew apps don't exactly expand the app selection like crazy. Its more useful for patches to fix OS problems or missing features and themes.

03-30-10 02:42 PM
    Battery Life (can it make it easy through the day with one charge and normal use - text, email, web browsing, facebook, twitter, etc.)
    Applications (that's part of the reason why I like my Blackberry so much, it does everything that I want it to)
    OS Stability (personally, I think the Android OS is a joke and needs some serious work. It has lots of potential, but it isn't there yet). How does the WebOS compare?
    Battery life: BAD unless you get a higher capacity battery, and live your life around a touchstone charger.

Apps: So so

OS stability: Pretty good.

WebOS vs RIM OS: WebOS by far. If Palm had BBM, there is no way I'd every use a BlackBerry again.

WebOS is by far the best multitasking phone around.
    03-30-10 04:58 PM
    Even the Pre Plus is still kinda laggy just navigating around... Tried one out finally at VZ. Didn't really seem like they improved the general speed vs the original Pre, it just launches more apps at once...
    03-30-10 07:37 PM
    As of today, the hotspot feature with the Pre is free (formerly $40 per month). That's a huge +++ in my opinion.

Verizon Wireless puts the Palm Pre Plus and Pixi Plus on a fire sale � Boy Genius Report
    04-01-10 02:28 PM
    The only problem is that the Pre battery life as a wifi hotspot is gonna be terrible, unless you have it permanently plugged in to a charger....
    04-01-10 03:33 PM
    The only problem is that the Pre battery life as a wifi hotspot is gonna be terrible, unless you have it permanently plugged in to a charger....
    Wifi hotspot on any phone isn't exactly going to be good. You're essentially using it as a wifi router. Anyways I did some speednet tests while tethered on my Pre Plus, 2.6mbs down/.38mbs up on one testsite, on another it was 2.0mbs down/ .35mbs up. Both averaged 200-250 ping.
    Last edited by thecold; 04-01-10 at 06:17 PM.
    04-01-10 06:15 PM
    Homebrew apps don't exactly expand the app selection like crazy. Its more useful for patches to fix OS problems or missing features and themes.

Not saying i really know, never had a palm device before.
    But just checking out homebrew sites it had: Games, Themes, Utilities, Entertainment, ETC.
    I just figured it would help palms low app selection.
    04-02-10 03:28 PM
    Yeah, it's not that extensive though, especially for "good" content. Also a lot of the apps in the homebrew are free version or early versions of apps before they got promoted to the webOs store...

Devs release betas or free version on there, then later on it gets promoted to the official app store anyways.
    04-02-10 06:36 PM
    how fast does the wifi hotspot run? I'm thinking about getting a Pre now so I have wifi for my netbook where ever I go.
    04-02-10 08:44 PM
    how fast does the wifi hotspot run? I'm thinking about getting a Pre now so I have wifi for my netbook where ever I go.
    It depends on many things. The area your in and how crowded it is.

The EV-DO feature of CDMA2000 networks provides access to mobile devices with forward link air interface speeds of up to 2.4 Mbit/s with Rev. 0 and up to 3.1 Mbit/s with Rev. A. The reverse link rate for Rev. 0 can operate up to 153 kbit/s, while Rev. A can operate at up to 1.8 Mbit/s. It was designed to be operated end-to-end as an IP based network, and so it can support any application which can operate on such a network and bit rate constraints. Wikipedia

This is the theoretical peak.
    3100/8= 387 KB/s down
    1800/8= 225 KB/s up
    (this NEVER happens)

On the previous page
    Yesterday afternoon I got (speednet)
    2.6mbs down/.38mbs up
    2.0mbs down/.35mbs up

some other people should post what they got, I'm going to Billings, MT on Tuesday and I plan on using my new free feature. I'll post my results from that trip.
    04-03-10 12:42 PM
    Youre numbers mean nothing to me....not being mean, but I have no clue what they mean....just tell me if I have 4 bars on 1XEV or 3G (whatever the phone shows).....will it be a decent connection?
    04-03-10 03:16 PM
    It actually works pretty well. Browsing speed via wifi is pretty fast.

To the OP - I got a Pre a few days ago and it's going back. Just can't stand the cramped keyboard and the slider is actually a real pain to open and close all the time.
    04-05-10 01:38 PM
    It actually works pretty well. Browsing speed via wifi is pretty fast.

To the OP - I got a Pre a few days ago and it's going back. Just can't stand the cramped keyboard and the slider is actually a real pain to open and close all the time.
    Not to mention the slider seems frail.... Actually the whole phone feels kinda frail...
    04-05-10 01:42 PM
    Thats tough man. Especially now that the pre plus is now at 49.99 and it finally has Free wi-fi hot spot... Though I would probably go for the Storm2. But its really a user choice. WebOS looks a lot nicer then the Storm, so if you're looking for eyecandy then the Pre Plus is your choice
    04-05-10 06:23 PM
    webOS looks awesome. I can't wait until the Pre comes to AT&T.
    04-05-10 09:43 PM
    WebOS doesn't lag. Nothing "loads" on it, things just appear.

If you have ever experienced lag on your blackberry device, whether 500ms or 2 seconds, you owe it to yourself to try WebOS.
    04-12-10 11:26 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD