I dont use this GPS feature on my phone up until lately. I have 3 different programs on my phone and one that can be downloaded call telenav. I know with Tele Nav there a monthly fee and the other are not. The question for those who have experience with bb maps google maps and mapquest 4 mobile please share your experience and of those 3 which is the best. I live in the Boston area and would like Trans it and walking directions if any of them programs offer it. Any help would be most greatful

Thank You

Jon
    03-26-10 04:37 PM
    I use Google Maps and BBMaps. They are quite different, and complement each other. BBMaps is more of a navigation tool. It has the option to have maps rotate to show direction of travel up (Track up) or North up. It also has a dashboard that shows you your speed and the number of satellites being tracked. On the con side, its maps just don't look as nice as Google's and are not as detailed.

Google Maps is a more general-purpose mapping application. Its weaknesses are the opposites of BBMap's strengths: its maps are fixed North up and don't rotate, and it has no dashboard to show you your speed or the number of satellites being tracked. On the plus side, it has beautiful maps and a host of features that BBMaps does not: Street View, which shows an eye-level view of many street locations; Latitude, which lets you share your location with friends in real time, and public transit locations, such as the location of Metro stops in the Washington, DC area. And finally, Google Maps can approximate your location using only cell towers if you don't have a clear view of the sky. It's not as accurate as GPS, of course, but it's useful.

I haven't used Mapquest for Mobile. I'm presently trying out Telenav. It is a full featured voice turn-by-turn navigation app.
    03-26-10 09:14 PM
    I see that Mapquest 4 Mobile says that it is available for all BB platforms but it isn't available for Storm 9530. Why would it say that but no download link available on AppWorld?
    06-04-10 10:14 AM
    I use Google Maps and BBMaps. They are quite different, and complement each other. BBMaps is more of a navigation tool. It has the option to have maps rotate to show direction of travel up (Track up) or North up. It also has a dashboard that shows you your speed and the number of satellites being tracked. On the con side, its maps just don't look as nice as Google's and are not as detailed.

Google Maps is a more general-purpose mapping application. Its weaknesses are the opposites of BBMap's strengths: its maps are fixed North up and don't rotate, and it has no dashboard to show you your speed or the number of satellites being tracked. On the plus side, it has beautiful maps and a host of features that BBMaps does not: Street View, which shows an eye-level view of many street locations; Latitude, which lets you share your location with friends in real time, and public transit locations, such as the location of Metro stops in the Washington, DC area. And finally, Google Maps can approximate your location using only cell towers if you don't have a clear view of the sky. It's not as accurate as GPS, of course, but it's useful.

I haven't used Mapquest for Mobile. I'm presently trying out Telenav. It is a full featured voice turn-by-turn navigation app.
    +1. I use both because they can complement each other with their differences and strengths.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-30-10 12:38 AM
    I use google maps... i leave GPS off (for battery life) so for basic stuff/local searches the antenna position is good enough, and if i need directions i flip on GPS and just wait a few seconds.
    06-30-10 02:16 PM
    I have used both mapquest and google maps. to me, mapquest 4 mobile's best feature was that you could search for businesses, restaurants, etc, and then get directions directly there from where you were. unfortunately, ive found the directions on mapquest mobile had a decent amount of mistakes and i ended up using it less and less until i finally deleted it. now i'll just use google maps with poynt.
    06-30-10 03:33 PM
    I use a BB Bold 9650 on Verizon network, have an unlimited data plan, connect to email through a corp BES, and have good WiFi connections at both home and the office.

From day one, the pre-installed BB Maps would not work, just show gray diagonal lines and never fully start. Google Maps 4.2.0 works fine.

I deleted BB Maps from the device, with the intention of re-installing, but now I can't figure out where to get the application. Can someone please point me in the right direction? Is BB Maps available anywhere for OTA install? I don't use the BB desktop software since the BB was provisioned through BES.

Thanks for any help.
    07-06-10 08:24 AM
    BBMaps is not available for OTA install for current OS versions. The BBMaps OTA install that you will find on RIM's site is only for obsolete OS versions. BBMaps is installed as part of the OS in current OS versions. You will need to install your OS on your PC, then use the Desktop Manager App Loader to reinstall BBMaps. You can do this without causing a problem with your BES as long as your IT Policy permits you to install apps on the BlackBerry. You can find your BlackBerry OS on RIM's site, here: BlackBerry Desktop and Device Software Download Sites

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-06-10 08:38 AM
    Thanks for the explanation. The BB is connected to the BES to access corp email, but is a personal device so I should be able to follow your suggestion.
    07-06-10 01:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD