So this is weird.....

On my Storm, if I look at the available app memory, it tells me like 12-15mb. Which blows, but whatever, she runs just fine on that. Now and then I get the "delete some stuff" screen, but she rarely slows down.

Here's where the fundamental disconnect of communication comes in. When I sync with my laptop, Desktop Manager tells me I have like 68mb app memory available. As my very country wife would say: "Whatintheworld"??!?!?

So who (whom?) do I trust? On one hand, she runs just fine. On the other, I get that "delete some stuff" screen. There's something techno-rific going on here that I'm not understanding, I fully admit.

What do you peoples think?
    03-26-10 03:44 PM
    Honestly I have no idea what to tell you. I have never heard of this before. That is interesting though.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-26-10 04:25 PM
    What is your app memory immediately following a reboot? How often do you perform a reboot (battery pull)? What OS are you using?

Some things you can do to increase memory:

delete any apps not being used
    don't keep more than a couple of themes on the phone
    clear out old messages and texts on a regular basis
    close apps when not being used
    03-26-10 08:12 PM
    What is your app memory immediately following a reboot?16mb or so How often do you perform a reboot (battery pull)? once every couple of days What OS are you using? 5.0.0.328 official, not leaked

Some things you can do to increase memory:

delete any apps not being usedbare bones, my friend
    don't keep more than a couple of themes on the phoneno themes. don't believe in them
    clear out old messages and texts on a regular basisauto delete after 15 days
    close apps when not being usedclose 'em out obsessively
    Did/do all that.
    I'm not worried about how much memory there is. It's the disagreement between DM and my Storm
    thanks, though
    03-26-10 09:55 PM
    Where in DM do you see the 68MB. If I look at AppLoader in DM it says I have 116MB available, while my phone says between 33 and 35MB. The phone is correct.

If you are barebones on apps, then you should have significantly more app memory than 12 - 15. I know 328 had a lot of problems, but if you are up to it, you may want to wipe and reload the OS after backing up your data and third party apps.

I consistently have about 35MB since going to 5.0 with quite a few apps. I keep my email and texts cleaned out daily, but have imported my calendar and address book from Outlook with significant entries. I maybe do a reboot once a week just for the heck of it.

Good luck on finding the answer. As you said if the phone is running OK, may be better not to mess with it.
    03-26-10 10:54 PM
    Where in DM do you see the 68MB. If I look at AppLoader in DM it says I have 116MB available, while my phone says between 33 and 35MB. The phone is correct.

If you are barebones on apps, then you should have significantly more app memory than 12 - 15. I know 328 had a lot of problems, but if you are up to it, you may want to wipe and reload the OS after backing up your data and third party apps.

I consistently have about 35MB since going to 5.0 with quite a few apps. I keep my email and texts cleaned out daily, but have imported my calendar and address book from Outlook with significant entries. I maybe do a reboot once a week just for the heck of it.

Good luck on finding the answer. As you said if the phone is running OK, may be better not to mess with it.
    I see it in the App Loader.

And yes, the phone is running fine....its just a curiosity.....

03-27-10 07:29 AM
    isnt there a difference between app memory and phone memory? so wouldnt it show a low number for your app memory(12-15mb) and your actual phone memory(68mb) would be much higher.
    03-27-10 11:32 AM
    isnt there a difference between app memory and phone memory? so wouldnt it show a low number for your app memory(12-15mb) and your actual phone memory(68mb) would be much higher.
    No, it's actually listed as "Application Memory". If I wasn't such a lazy American, I'd show you a screen shot.
    03-27-10 09:29 PM
    You have a bad phone I'm pretty sure. I'm on 5.0.0.553 now and boot up with 49mb of application memory. Of course I shrunk my OS before I loaded the hybrid, but anyways on .328 I still had around 40mb's of app memory. I have always had these apps; Pandora, Stormstat, Podtrapper, Beweatherfree, WordMole, QuicknoteFree, Memory Cleaner and another small game. So if you are truly "bare bones" and your memory is still that low, you got a P.O.S! Sorry!

03-28-10 07:53 AM
    I wouldn't be so quick to brand a POS.

Like I said, she works just fine. The disagreement is merely a curiosity.
    03-28-10 01:50 PM
    Tons of available info on maximizing memory for Blackberry's on this forum. Search around.

Back up your info, shrink the OS, remove what you don't need from the OS, and reload it.

I have 36+ MB's of free memory with a ton of apps on my Storm, and it runs flawlessly. On AT&T, no less.

Jack
    03-29-10 09:38 AM
    Tons of available info on maximizing memory for Blackberry's on this forum. Search around.

Back up your info, shrink the OS, remove what you don't need from the OS, and reload it.

I have 36+ MB's of free memory with a ton of apps on my Storm, and it runs flawlessly. On AT&T, no less.

Jack
    again... i wasnt trying to increase. i just thought the discrepancy was odd. thats all.

my Storm runs flawlessly as well. I don't have a lot of apps only because I don't use a lot of apps.
    03-29-10 04:19 PM
    Wow...can't believe how so many are MISSING THE POINT, LOL!!! BC, to be honest, I've never, ever, even noticed this before, so after reading your post I connected my S2 to my laptop and ran DM/Apploader. Mine says I have 157MB of available memory, yet my device tells me it's 107.5 MB. I'm inclined to believe my phone, not DM, but cannot tell you why this is happening, only that YOU DON'T HAVE A BAD PHONE . As I recall, on both of my previous Storm 1's, with numerous apps, two extra themes, etc., I typically booted up with around 20MB of app free memory. I used the Stock OS and no "shrinking." Memory was never an issue on my S1s. I have seen numerous posts around here with people stating that their S1s are down to 1-4 MB and still run fine. Sounds to me like you're good to go, with the exception of the puzzling discrepency.
    Last edited by EnergyPlus; 03-29-10 at 04:32 PM.
    03-29-10 04:30 PM
    THANK YOU!!!!!

Cheese and crackers, I was starting to think I was going insane again!

It's good to know that others are seeing this oddity too. I think perhaps the people on CB.com are sooooo used to people expecting their BlackBerry to be a "magic box" and solving their idiotic questions, that maybe they just shift into that mode automatically.

Yes, it's puzzling, but if you say trust the phone, I think I shall. She hasn't led me astray yet!!

gracias, amigo!
    03-31-10 06:28 AM
    In Application loader Mine says Total Space Available 105.0 MB

But in Options Memory Application Memory Free Space I show 25 MB after a battery pull on v5.0.0.419 and after a few days like 3 - 7 it will be down to 3MB. I do not have many apps and do not use it that much. Mostly email and some web.

Application or File memory depending on the tool you use is what matters. When it gets to 2 BM or so you get that DELETE SOME APPS screen. The storm1 is very memory limited. Storm2 does not have this problem. It boots with like 128MB free.

I have done the Shrunk OS on my storm1 and I keep my emails and SMS cleared out. Prior to deleteing all my email I only had like 12 -18 MB after a battery pull.

So you do need to monitory your database sizes in Options Status MenuButton Database Sizes.
    03-31-10 01:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD