I've been in an area with tmo 3G for a while now (little road trip). 3G is full with 5 bars and doesn't seem ti drop. I like the data speed too.

My problem is calling. I NEVER got dropped calls on EDGE but now it happens on 3G a lot, and my BB will also randomly drop to GPRS or something when I talk on 3G, and it takes forever to get 3G back.

I am wondering...is this a problem with the 3G in the area I'm in, or is it a problem with my Bold? Have you experienced issues like this?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-26-10 08:15 AM
    Common problem with t-mobile.

03-26-10 11:01 AM
    Difficult to say, but I think it is TMO atm.

When I ran my 9700 with .442 OS, I occasionally got that 3G to GPRS issue. When I used UMA and get away from the network, it almost always switched over to GPRS unless I walked away to EDGE area thereby UMA changes to EDGE.

About 3 weeks ago, wherever I went, 3G stayed solid and it hardly dropped to GPRS. I was traveling within my metro area and off to Chicago, Miami and Central America (no 3G there where I was).

Since I updated OS to .545, I just paid attention last week and there it goes, 3G to GRPS again when making a phone call. But it depends on location where I start my 3G call. So it is a mixed bag, but I incline to say it is TMO atm. If it stays like this, I will consider downgrade OS just to check it out.

However, drop call has never been an issue for me.
    Last edited by doxa sub750T; 03-26-10 at 11:44 AM.
    03-26-10 11:42 AM
    I'm currently on .545...not sure if it's still the newest beta out there. I can't speak for the other OSes because I didn't have 3G for long (I was only visiting the area). all I can say is that it seems that the newer betas didn't improve the problem...

Ah well. :/
    03-26-10 12:37 PM
    Hmm...well, I just went out for lunch to enjoy the weather over here. Guess what this time 3G stays the whole time while I was driving to the place. The call was about 20mins and it was rock solid on 3G all the way.

Normally, when I leave my office to home, while on the call starting with 3G, it almost always drops to GPRS with .545. Last I checked was early last week.

I will check again this evening and see if there is any different so that I can rule out the OS.
    Last edited by doxa sub750T; 03-26-10 at 02:11 PM.
    03-26-10 01:55 PM
    Haha oh wow...that's awesome.

I've tried several calls on 3G and usually don't get more than 10 min. Not too much of a big deal but I have to remember to drop my phone down to EDGE.

03-26-10 02:04 PM
    Wonder if the ATT 9700s have a problem with the 3G on their network.

If they don't, then I could be sure that it's a T-Mobile problem.

Ah well...I'm just curious. I don't see myself leaving t-mo for a long, long time. Only time I'd leave is if I run low on $$ and go back onto my family's VZW plan...I'd pay $40 for my add-a-line fee and data plan. REALLY Limited minutes though, no control over my account and man, I hate CDMA.

03-26-10 04:13 PM
    Usually, it's the Bold that is the problem. T-Mobile has other 3G phones that do not have the problems that the Bold has. It's kind of expected that the first 3G Berry for T-Mobile would experience growing pains.
    03-26-10 07:07 PM
    Here is what I found tonight driving home. I got 3G stayed on quite solid until I hit the usual dead spot. Bam...after some yards away...GPRS. However, I would think that the phone will pick up 3G back where I know the signal is strong, it did not.

So, it is hard to conclude so it might be both in combination. I am saying this because I have yet used any other TMO 3G capable phone.

Wait, I think I should try my N900. It is not TMO endorsed phone, but it can use TMO 3G network. That would enlighthen a few things me think.
    03-26-10 08:08 PM
    doxa, I'd say go for it. It would at least be a true side by side of two different 3G devices use T-Mobile's 3G network.
    03-26-10 08:15 PM
    doxa, I'd say go for it. It would at least be a true side by side of two different 3G devices use T-Mobile's 3G network.
    I am going to, but not until Monday. No plan to be around the office over the weekend
    03-26-10 11:55 PM
    I'd love to hear how that goes, doxa.

I haven't owned or really played with any other T-Mo 3G devices so I can't compare.
    03-27-10 07:51 AM
    I have also had issues with 3G. I have not had 3G since thursday evening and I have a blackberry 9700. I live in madison, wi and have not left the city or anything since thursday so i am not sure what the issue is. I am sure it is a network issue though.
    03-27-10 08:27 PM
    I had issues with 3G dropping to GPRS with a different device, low and behold it was the radio firmware causing the issue and when I reinstalled the official T-Mobile radio, no more 3G to GPRS unless I go outside of 3G coverage. What tipped me off was that I could lock the phone onto 3G and have it hold the call, with not a drop in the bars (3 out of 4) or the call itself, but if I left it on "Auto" it instantly dropped down to GPRS after connecting and it would pick up the 3G network instantly after I ended the call. It's the phone and not T-Mobile, unless it's poor 3G signal causing the issue.
    Last edited by 48593039584729; 03-27-10 at 09:14 PM.
    03-27-10 09:11 PM
    Well at least you guys can kind of experience 3G. No 3G where I live, so have yet to try it out, but no complaints on 2G really.

I would have to drive an hour to get 3G...

03-28-10 11:17 AM
    Using my 9700 over the weekend so far has been gr8t on 3G. I have paid more attention and so far no drop call (which it has never been an issue for me), no 3G to GPRS and using voice and data concurrently has been flawless. However, I have yet tried where I most encounter the signal switch with other 3G phone.

Hopefully after Tuesday, I can tell from my own experience using different device.

03-28-10 02:06 PM
    i have similar issues too.
    I posted in the wrong forum
    http://forums.crackberry.com/showthr...30#post4901730

long story short: Had 3G coverage 5 bars (70dbm) but nothing was working, could not use bbm, internet etc etc. Had to force it to drop to 2G to be able to use the phone and at that time, 2G seemed damn fast.
    03-28-10 03:12 PM
    "...I reinstalled the official T-Mobile radio, ...."
    What do you mean? Send link , please.

03-28-10 05:45 PM
    I'm back in my college town with EDGE so no more testing for me. :P ah well.

I guess it really depends on your phone and location. I'm betting that once 3G completely rolls out and is tweaked, the experience will improve.

03-29-10 10:34 AM
    While I am not on T-Mobile...I had an awkward experience this past weekend that would make me suspect the device itself before the network, for the issue you reported. I was in the Mojave all of last week. Friday afternoon, my friend and I headed down to San Diego. When we got there I took my phone out...and it was reading "no service" I had to do a battery pull, and after the reboot all was well again. So at some point during my trip out of the Mojave, I went through a dead spot and the phone lost a signal. But based on what I saw when I got to SD, the phone obviously never bothered to pick the signal back up even when it was available. I was thinking "I hit a dead spot who knows how many hours ago...and this thing didn't bother to pick up the signal again? WTF!!!"

Now I have a Storm 2 with Verizon...my friend has an old 8820 with T-Mobile. His phone didn't seem to have any issues whatsoever. It's an older phone, running an older OS. Several people have mentioned disappointment with the build quality and stability of RIM products nowadays. Now I'm starting to believe it myself.

My point in all of this....I wouldn't be so quick to blame the network for the types of issues you're having.
    03-29-10 11:14 AM
    While I am not on T-Mobile...I had an awkward experience this past weekend that would make me suspect the device itself before the network, for the issue you reported. I was in the Mojave all of last week. Friday afternoon, my friend and I headed down to San Diego. When we got there I took my phone out...and it was reading "no service" I had to do a battery pull, and after the reboot all was well again. So at some point during my trip out of the Mojave, I went through a dead spot and the phone lost a signal. But based on what I saw when I got to SD, the phone obviously never bothered to pick the signal back up even when it was available. I was thinking "I hit a dead spot who knows how many hours ago...and this thing didn't bother to pick up the signal again? WTF!!!"

Now I have a Storm 2 with Verizon...my friend has an old 8820 with T-Mobile. His phone didn't seem to have any issues whatsoever. It's an older phone, running an older OS. Several people have mentioned disappointment with the build quality and stability of RIM products nowadays. Now I'm starting to believe it myself.

My point in all of this....I wouldn't be so quick to blame the network for the types of issues you're having.
    Did you try manually turning off your radio and then manually turning it back on?
    03-29-10 11:20 AM
    Did you try manually turning off your radio and then manually turning it back on?
    I most certainly did try that. It didn't work. That's why I ended up pulling the battery. After doing that...all was well. Even if that had worked...is that what I'm expected to do everytime I hit a dead spot? I would expect not. If an older Blackberry can re-aqcuire a signal on its own...this one should too.

03-29-10 12:32 PM
    I am having same problems. got a bold 9700 with tmo, am lucky to make a call at all. Did I read someone's post that you can manually switch to edge? How do you do that? Maybe I would do that if I had to make a call.. would that work? I cant afford to switch carriers.
    04-07-10 04:14 PM
    for you guys that have 3G issues, if you can and know how to do it, i recommend you update your OS to the latest beta leak (593 i think, too lazy to check). 3G is a looooot better than what it used to be,
    04-07-10 07:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD