CrackBerry geniuses, I need your help. Verizon is useless.

Recently I had problems with my 9530 freezing while in my pocket (5.0.0.419). It worked when I plugged it into the computer (Windows 7), and had no issues. I called Verizon, and told them about the issue. They sent out a replacement. I attempted to run the device switch wizard, and it backed up everything from my original device just fine. when I plugged in the new one to load all my stuff onto it, it flashed a white error screen. It disappeared quickly, so all I caught was "Device Error: 354." As long as I left the device plugged into my computer, it would continually reboot in a cycle. It would only get as far as to start letting the bar load at the bottom of the screen, and then it would reboot again, and again, and again.

I contacted Verizon, and they told me that it might be a corrupt file from my original device. They told me I should reload the operating software onto my original device. I did so, and when it was "waiting for device initialization" it flashed the same device error 354 as the replacement. They said to unplug it, and now its got good-ol "Reload Software 507". I tried to reload the software, but every time I plug it in, it flashes the device error 354 screen.

any advice?
    03-25-10 10:07 PM
    Its an issue with the replacement phone's software and windows 7. I had the exact same problem 2 days ago with a Vista machine. I reloaded the OS on the phone with XP and have no issues with vista anymore. Did you by any chance have your contacts synced with your 7 box?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-25-10 11:30 PM
    All my stuff is backed up on my PC (contacts, apps). Also, I tried the steps to fix a nuked bb. no luck.
    03-25-10 11:37 PM
    attempting on my wife's xp pc... no constant reboot cycle so far.

Update: OS installed fine on my wife's computer. Still gives Device Error 354 when hooked up to my windows 7 machine.
    Last edited by Shifty_P; 03-26-10 at 12:11 AM.
    03-25-10 11:44 PM
    Uninstall the desktop manager. Uninstall anything related to blackberry. Try it again. If it still doesn't work, transfer your back up file to the XP machine and you'll be able to get it to work. On the 7 box, delete the contacts that were synced from the old BB. This is what I had to do.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-26-10 02:57 AM
    I got everything restored using the xp machine. I uninstalled and deleted anything related to blackberry, and reinstalled desktop manager. still no luck. this has got me so confused. I don't know what it could be. I had no problem with my phone, but all three of the new devices I tried don't work when plugged in.

Should I try wiping the device with cmder, and reloading everything fresh?
    Last edited by Shifty_P; 03-26-10 at 08:38 AM.
    03-26-10 08:34 AM
    I called RIM tech support (not Verizon). After I was finally connected to a "tier 2 tech" I was told that this is a problem that they are aware of with .328 & Windows 7, and they should have a new software version coming out soon, in which it will be corrected.

I am guessing that the reason I didn't have issues before is that I was using .419. I can't remember if I did that before I upgraded my PC to Windwos 7 or not.

So there you have it. New software version coming soon. I guess soon to them could be six months though...
    03-26-10 03:34 PM
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it doesn't seem to me that this is anything about Win7 and that particular OS. Here's teh bad news. A Windows XP Machine is doing it to my wifes phone, a Vista Machine is doing it to my old phone, and my Windows 7 Machine is doing just fine with both.

I am gtting this same thing going on with my old phone.

I had to take my wife's phone and use this computer with it, but this computer has since been reloaded since the last time I have used my phone with this computer. I tried to treat it as a bricked phone on here and nothing has happened for me in the good sense. It went back to just going with that flashed up error. Now, I shut down all systems working with BB DM. Still happens right after plugging in the phone. The phone was NOT running on OS .328, I had it on a leak. My wife's phone was on a Hybrid software.

I am now able to connect it to an additional Vista x64 machine. Very rough for the Crack Geniuses here. But lets give it a go.
    03-26-10 11:48 PM
    Same happens to me. I have a Storm that only works on my Windows7x64 machine. When I first encountered it, I spent 5 hours on the phone with RIM trying to figure it out. They insisted it was my computer. Obviously it isnt.

This is the screen that pops up on my Win7x32 machine.

03-28-10 01:35 PM
    This **** makes me wish there weren't reasons I like my blackberry.

Jason, what os version are you running?

Like I said, I had no problems on .419 with this. I might stick with .328 for now, because .419 had an insane memory leak for me. But at least I could Tether...
    03-28-10 11:02 PM
    This **** makes me wish there weren't reasons I like my blackberry.

Jason, what os version are you running?

Like I said, I had no problems on .419 with this. I might stick with .328 for now, because .419 had an insane memory leak for me. But at least I could Tether...
    I am on .328
    03-30-10 01:00 PM
    After no luck with verizon tech support, I emailed, and got a call from VZW exec office. Since they have replaced my phone three times this month, they are sending me a 9550.
    03-31-10 11:06 AM
    im going on 8 hrs today. 2nd replacement phone in consecutive weeks to do this. think im done with rim. been on the phone with rim for the past 2 hrs. on hold for 25 mins waiting for 2nd tier tech support. had 1st rep tell me it wasnt my pc or cable was definatly phone. went thru steps told to call back after process finished or error. like she knew it would come back with a error. called back and this 2nd rep tries to say it might be my pc. tries to trouble shoot then start process again. failed. let me connect you with higher tech support. hold.....and still holding
    Last edited by Latin559; 04-06-10 at 06:39 PM.
    04-06-10 06:35 PM
    goodbye RIM. after enough going back and forth a regional supervisor gave me a call and said she was sorry for the experience i had today and is sending me a new droid for free.

be here thursday.
    this device error 354 is a faulty phone. nothing to do with the os or your computer or cable as vzw techs will lead you to believe. RIM had me test every usb port on my laptop and computer. thats doing the clean install with apploader 18 times today. as everytime i called back rim after the install i had to do everythig over.

i emailed verizonwireless ceo too. but after i wrote that email, id say 5 mins after i got a call from the regional supervisor on duty.

she was nice and offered me the free droi right away. no explainations or anything needed from me.

thanks to her and im glad i dont have to put up with what i did today anymore. hopefully android isnt the same way.lol
    04-06-10 09:46 PM
    had my droid for 5 days now. and while i liked my storm alot. droid is hands down better. nothing to do with the apps, or the web experience. its just the overall stability of the device and the smooth use. my storm didnt really give me many problems until it went stupid. but android 2.1 is insanely good. since this droid isnt counting against my upgrade. i will be getting the incredible when it comes out. only thing i can even complain on the droid is the slideout keyboard. which i dont even use. not really the keyboard it self that gets me irritated, but the posistion of it because of that square track thing. theres a onscreen keyboard on the phone anyways. and its very responsive and accurate.

i have a feeling once rim comes out with that new os and webkit, android will have moved on and beyond and blackberry will be back to where it is now.

blackberrys are good, but too bad rim doesnt feel the need to speed up the proces.
    04-12-10 01:36 PM
    SOLUTION !

I had this issue. Its your computer OS.

I had BB DM installed on a win7 64X machine. When ever i pluged the BB in it would give me the arm 11 error and keep rebooting.

I installed a copy on my xp laptop, bingo reinstalled the BB OS no problems.

I just wiped my win7 OS, reinstalled and now its able to do OS updates for BB

Happy to help

Live long and prosper !
    08-13-10 06:27 AM
    Same problem Here with Vista 32. Just like above poster, it is the Windows OS. I formatted and reloaded WIN OS and the problem is gone.
    08-14-10 06:12 PM
    It is NOT PC OS.

There are a few different ways to fix this...

You can follow the Nuked BB how-to (with the battery removed) and when you get to the point where it says can't identify the device, leaving the BB plugged in, reinstall the battery. This is what I did when it this happened to me the second time.

You can also try going to device manager on your PC, open the USB controllers, and right click on the USB root hub that corresponds to your BB, and going to power management tab, and unchecking the box that allows the PC to turn the device off. This worked for me once for this same issue on a second different 9530.

The issue is something with the latest batch of 9530 refurbs (all VZW has left) and the software loads that VZW is putting on them.

I have personally had 2 replacement 9530's because of this. Even though they replaced them, I tried the above methods while waiting on another replacement. The only reason I did that was to build a case for getting a free upgrade from VZW for all of the problems I have had with the 9530. I am currently on my 5th 9530 from VZW. Next time something happens, I am getting a new different phone.
    08-15-10 04:00 PM
    It is NOT PC

You can follow the Nuked BB how-to (with the battery removed) and when you get to the point where it says can't identify the device, leaving the BB plugged in, reinstall the battery. This is what I did when it this happened to me the second time.

Did not work for me.

You can also try going to device manager on your PC, open the USB controllers, and right click on the USB root hub that corresponds to your BB, and going to power management tab, and unchecking the box that allows the PC to turn the device off. This worked for me once for this same issue on a second different 9530.

Same with this one and as for all the other known tricks found on this forum.

The issue is something with the latest batch of 9530 refurbs (all VZW has left) and the software loads that VZW is putting on them.

I don't have a refurb and have had my phone for 16 months.

I have personally had 2 replacement 9530's because of this. Even though they replaced them, I tried the above methods while waiting on another replacement. The only reason I did that was to build a case for getting a free upgrade from VZW for all of the problems I have had with the 9530. I am currently on my 5th 9530 from VZW. Next time something happens, I am getting a new different phone.
    I took my Phone to a Verizon Store where it was fixed on a XP machine. I brought it back home and connected to my Vista Laptop, My original problem reappeared. I reformatted my Laptop and now my phone and laptop are friends again.

I am not saying that you are wrong but for me it was the PC OS.
    Last edited by elvee68; 08-16-10 at 01:28 PM. Reason: added item
    08-16-10 01:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD