I know there are lot of threads that discuss .509, but I really want people's opinion when you compare these two OS's. Here are my thoughts:

V4.6.0.303
    PROS: Less memory leak, no lag in playing video, faster browser, no threaded sms, no problem with bluetooth etc.

CONS: OS is kinda slow compared to .509, UI is not as flashy as .509, cannot scroll through pictures in full screen view mode, cannot repeat a song in the media player.

V5.0.0.509
    PROS: Slightly updated UI, better camera (clearer), OS is slightly faster than 4.6.

CONS: NO default keypad lock (need to set a password), audio lags while playing video, quite a bit memory leak, browser seems to be slower than 4.6, bluetooth connection problems (heard this from other people).

I tried all available 5.0 OS and finally ended up going back to 4.6. I really think RIM needs to work on improving their 5.0 OS and specially get the keypad lock fixed.

If anyone of you have any thoughts, please feel free to share it with us.
    03-25-10 12:25 PM
    For me:

- Web browsing is definitely much faster on the 509 then 4.6.
    - I lose way less memory on 509 then 4.6 (I only have windows live messenger, scoremobile, slingplayer, and appworld installed. Messenger is a big memory leak for me)

The keypad lock will never go back to the way it use to be. The new feature was intended. There's an official RIM document that outlines this but I can;t seem to find it now.
    03-25-10 12:31 PM
    hmmm...
    Are you experiencing with any choppy calls and audio lag while playing a video?
    03-25-10 12:38 PM
    And I thought the choppy and garbled calls was just a Bell thing. Hmm.
    But I'm curious as to why OP said that not having threaded SMS is a pro. Is it because it's still a little buggy or because you don't really like the whole idea behind it (as discussed before in the forums here)
    03-25-10 02:39 PM
    threaded sms is kinda confusing. Like in 4.6 when you reply to a sms message, theres always a separate record of it where as in threaded its kinda confusing. Probably a personal thing...but nothing biggy.
    03-25-10 06:15 PM
    .544 has it's issues. Main issue for me was the messed up app switcher.

Audio for me on 509 seems fine..no choppy calls.
    03-26-10 01:44 AM
    The browser sucks regardless of whether you are running it on 4.6 or 5.0, and everybody knows it. I've never had any lag in video on either OS, nor problems with Bluetooth. The memory leak is more or less the same for me; there is just less available app memory. Keyboard lock not an issue for me because I rarely lock my phone.

YMMV dependent upon your needs and how you use the phone, threads like this are yawners.
    03-26-10 07:42 AM
    Tried both, but went back to 4.6

.509 compared to 4.6.0.303

Cons
    - instability (I've been using 4.6 it for 8 months, it has frozen only 2 times, .509 freeze every day)
    - restart cause sometimes battery drain (even 20% loss of power!) very annoying
    - battery life is worse (I can work 1,5 day with 4.6, .509 last less than one day)
    - picture viewing is faster and easier but picture quality is very bad compared to 4.6
    - phone log list with 2 lines for each entry (I hate it, but somebody likes it)
    - switching from 2g to 2g&3g you have to try twice
    - problems watching youtube videos

PROS
    - threaded SMS (I like it)
    - faster web browsing with internal browser (I use Opera Mini)
    - faster, better looking UI
    - IMHO keylock is better (lock with "A", unlick with Mute key)
    - vibrating & ringing in the same time (i don't care about it)

For me battery life and stability are the most important things, therefore I went back to 4.6 after using .509 for a couple of day.
    03-26-10 08:33 AM
    I also tried several 5.0 builds and went back to 4.6. My personal list of 5.0:

Pros:
    Threaded SMS (when it's working)
    Ability to set sound profiles as relative to other profiles
    Ability to set sounds for SMS/MMS from specific people
    Seemed faster overall

Cons:
    Choppy calls/echos/other call quality issues
    Threaded SMS bug
    Sounds database corruption problems (in .509)

I realize that not everyone is affected by these bugs but I somehow was lucky enough to have all 3 of them. I stuck with 5.0 for a long time because I thought I would be annoyed switching back to 4.6, but I really don't miss it (too much anyway )
    03-26-10 02:28 PM
    I totally agree with apbthe3. Stability is what it matters. I some how found that even though 5.0 was kinda polished up, but still there was something major missing that wasn't satisfying the OS at all.
    03-26-10 08:27 PM
    I had the 554 build ,real bad issues with using the speaker through the media folder,feedback, phone would freeze up after disconnecting.blue tooth rarely connected to any device.went back to the 4.6, wi-fi would not connect , no browser only media net. so now back to 509, memory better,feedback gone, media plays and connects perfectly, so this build will be with me until the official 6.0 if it ever happens! and my e-mail is finally perfect. messages and folders handled properly, my ring tones and alerts stay put. this is a keeeper OS!!
    03-29-10 10:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD