I do not have a sms/texting plan on my VZW account. If i use GV to text on my Storm 2 does it use the the broadband like the Blackberry Messenger and not charge me or does VZW see it as an SMS message and charge me for it?
    03-25-10 11:53 AM
    I believe it's all data as long as you use the GV app. however, I'm not sure if it's the way mine is set up or its the default but i also get GV text messages in my SMS inbox, it uses an access number though so its weird. It could be that the access number forces packet switched data as opposed to the more common method of circuit switched SMS, so with packet data it would just be normal data you're using and not the standard SMS gateway that Verizon charges for and tracks your messages on. Maybe someone else can say for sure. CBW actually includes unlimited texting with their BB plan -- surprising since no one else does.
    03-25-10 12:28 PM
    I think I can answer my own question, looking at my billing online it appears that each text sent from the phone using GV app and "send sms using GV" still shows up as a sent sms on VZW billing... UGH! thought i had a way to send free sms. If someone knows a way to get around this short of signing up for SMS please let me know.
    Last edited by Anon_Emus; 03-25-10 at 12:50 PM.
    03-25-10 12:28 PM
    well, you can SEND them for free, just compose an email and have the address be the receipients 10 digit number @ carrier sms gateway extension.... for example [email protected] would send a text msg to that number if the customer was verizon. you can also use something like teleflip to translate the gateway extension for you, i.e. [email protected]. here's a wikipedia article that may be helpful if you'd like to know more: List of carriers providing SMS transit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    03-25-10 01:35 PM
    Thanks bobdobbins, that can save me a little money anyway

I don't really do a lot of texting unless it's BBM however if it didn't cost me anything that could change...
    03-25-10 02:02 PM
    I thought I read on here that they were working on adding SMS as an option to their application. I don't remember where, and I can't seem to find it now.
    03-25-10 03:20 PM
    Here is how I do it:

1) Set up e-mail forwarding of text messages from your PC in GV settings.
    2) Download the GV app for your BB.
    3) Go to your contacts and push BB menu->scroll up to SMS via Google Voice or something like that.
    4) Once the SMS is sent from GV, you will get an e-mail when your GV is texted.
    5) Notice that the e-mail address is some gibberish but has your GV phone and the number you just texted. Add this e-mail address to your contact (BB menu->Show Address & BB menu->Copy then paste it to the blank e-mail field in the contact details).
    6) When you compose an e-mail to that e-mail address it will send and receive texts just like you're used to (minus the threaded part).
    7) Make sure you delete the original message when replying.
    8) If you change your e-mail signature it works just like a SMS signature.
    9) Make sure you only open the GV app if you need to call/SMS someone from your GV number since it does drain your battery.
    03-26-10 03:14 AM
    Oh I should say I have a grandfathered in Alltel 900 minute voice only plan for $59.99/mo. and $9.99 for additional lines and I just pay the $29.99/mo. BIS plan and nothing for texting (pay-per message) so yeah it works. It can be a pain juggling two phone numbers though but other then that it's not bad. At least you can dial from GV.
    03-26-10 01:15 PM
    I think I can answer my own question, looking at my billing online it appears that each text sent from the phone using GV app and "send sms using GV" still shows up as a sent sms on VZW billing... UGH! thought i had a way to send free sms. If someone knows a way to get around this short of signing up for SMS please let me know.
    Go to sprint and sms is included :}
    03-29-10 12:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD