I'm on my third Tour and the antenna is plainly defective on this one... no matter which radio files I install. The meter jumps from 0 to 4 and everywhere in between and calls are choppy where they should be clear (and were on the other two Tours). It's a Mexico 5, if that means anything. Swap for numero quatro? This is just plain wrong. I've had it.
    03-24-10 09:54 PM
    Sounds like its just your service coverage and not the phones. Never heard of any complaints like that before.
    03-24-10 10:36 PM
    That's how mine is. I just deal with it. Well I bought it off of craigslist so I don't have much of a choice.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-24-10 10:56 PM
    Sounds like its just your service coverage and not the phones. Never heard of any complaints like that before.
    That's what I thought too... but from my office, the last Tour had 2-3 bars and would place calls just fine.. did someone knock a tower down? Same OS tried. I really think there's a hardware problem this time but I've never heard of this one either.
    03-24-10 10:59 PM
    Mine has the same problem and I've dealt with it, but just recently my internet and bbm keeps going back and forth with working at not working. Its now shutting off on its own too. I really do want to deal with verizon though so I'm debating with trying to get a new one.
    03-24-10 11:03 PM
    If you all are having issues, you should swap out ur phones and hope the issues stop. Good Luck!
    03-25-10 12:21 AM
    i'm on my third tour this week, and frankly im getting tired of it, im to the point of canceling my Sprint service all together as they dont have anything else i would even remotely want.

This thing makes Sprint look like a joke here in Tempe, AZ where all of my other Sprint phones work just fine.
    03-25-10 12:46 AM
    I had this problem also with my tour. When I first got it my batt would drain so I called cs and they told me to change the network from global to 1xev so when I did that my signal started to bounce around like crazy from 1xev to 1x to X X no bars so after a while I got fed up and went to the sprint store. They changed my network back to global and said it was set wrong but I can say I've had a steady signal every since. @ the end of the day sprint coverage just sucks.

03-25-10 01:06 AM
    I had the same problem with my tour when I was on sprint. I got three different ones. All the same. They told me the antenna crap. So I got a 8330M same deal. Next move was switching to VZW got a tour with them and love it. I think its just bad coverage in your area and they won't admit it. I wonder If it also could be the difference between a meid device and a esn.

03-25-10 05:57 AM
    I had the same issues with the Tour on VZW and Sprint, and my friend with a VZW tour has the same signal issues, there is clearly a problem with this phone...

for instance my 8330 on Sprint will get 5 bars 1XEV service on my desk here, and my tour will bounce in and out of roaming, my Razr works fine here on Sprint as does my old cheap Samsung phone.

It's a problem with this model, and im to the point of just getting rid of it. I just got a replacement in yesterday (third one this month for various issues) and im just going to sell the thing and go back to my curve, at least the signal was always great with it and no problems
    03-25-10 02:26 PM
    Both VZW and Sprint coverage at my house are for junk. CDMA is weird; either you have coverage or ya got nothin. GSM signals, it seems, are a different story; even with 1 bar, calls and data run just fine. You might have a hardware problem but more than likely, it's a service coverage issue.

Short story: I had Verizon for the longest time (almost 10 years) but I left and went to Sprint after a visit to a VZW store and CS Rep said a Sprint Tour couldn't be activated on their network because Sprint was GSM (seriously, she actually said that). What pushed me over the edge was when the VZW CS rep didn't hand the phone back to me but PLOPPED it on the counter and turned her back on me. That was the final straw. I'll take spotty service coverage with good customer service over the reverse any day of the week.
    03-25-10 02:38 PM
    Both VZW and Sprint coverage at my house are for junk. CDMA is weird; either you have coverage or ya got nothin. GSM signals, it seems, are a different story; even with 1 bar, calls and data run just fine. You might have a hardware problem but more than likely, it's a service coverage issue.

Short story: I had Verizon for the longest time (almost 10 years) but I left and went to Sprint after a visit to a VZW store and CS Rep said a Sprint Tour couldn't be activated on their network because Sprint was GSM (seriously, she actually said that). What pushed me over the edge was when the VZW CS rep didn't hand the phone back to me but PLOPPED it on the counter and turned her back on me. That was the final straw. I'll take spotty service coverage with good customer service over the reverse any day of the week.
    CDMA is actually much more tolerant to low signal than GSM is, as it's much much better at error correction than GSM can be, and where GSM is time slot based, it's actually a lot harder to work with 1 bar of service.

the signal bars on the tour are not calibrated very well i think, that could be one reason, but like i said the other Sprint BB's work just fine where this one craps out. i am sure it's just a bunk model of phone.

Also with CDMA the bars really do not mean anything, most if not all of my CDMA phones will hold a call with 0-1 bar without a hiccup in the sound, whereas GSM normally does not work at 1-2 bars in my experiences.
    03-25-10 11:06 PM
    Nothing with me works the way its supposed to. From cell phones to the coasters on my coffee table. Every CDMA phone I've ever had on VZW and Sprint dont work for anything at my house but AT&T rolls on just fine, but it's supposed to be the opposite. Figures.

Wonder how well all these stupid cell phones would work as a coaster.
    03-26-10 12:43 AM
    My old Tour and my current one (old one went in due to stuck trackball) both do it. I know the signal is great at my house (like half a mile from the tower about seven blocks north) so it's just the way it functions methinks.
    03-26-10 03:00 AM
    Mine sort of does that too unless i'm in a well saturated area (unfortunately, my home isn't well saturated like everywhere else). I don't know if this was said but I think it might be where the antenna is positioned within the phone. When using the phone, we might actually be covering up the antenna with our hand or other interfering object. I noticed that my phone will have around 4 bars till I pick it up, then it drops to 2. This is the same problem the iPhone gen 1 I used had, which happened to be a lot worse because of the aluminum body since covering up the plastic piece on the bottom handrest made me have zero service, which cut off all my calls and caused it to go through a long signal search method.
    03-26-10 12:28 PM
    Me too!! I just posted another thread. My 3rd tour, never had reception issues with VZW prior to this pos phone.

Any input?!?!
    03-26-10 12:36 PM
    I've had my Sprint Tour since August 09 and have =never seen any of this.

Have you tried changing Mobile Network settings to just 1XEV?
    03-26-10 01:36 PM
    Mine moves around every now and then, but it's never bothered my calls unless I'm in the mountains. I leave Network Technology on 1XEV and do the *228 thing every 2 or 3 days.
    03-26-10 01:46 PM
    yes, I've tried changing it from global to just 1xEV.

I've even removed the vzw sim card that was in there in hopes that may do something.
    03-26-10 02:38 PM
    There's no helping this phone
    03-26-10 05:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD