I am syncing my Bold 9700 with Outlook on my home computer. It does a VERY BAD job of syncing with my contacts. It will do things like :

1. Duplcate, triplicate contacts - I already have 3000 contacts, and last time it did this, I ended up with 4500 as a result;

2. Many of my contacts are of the form of "Husband & Wife LastName" Sync will mess these up in the worst way, both in the name field, but also in the File As field, and the email Display Name field. It ends up being "&Wife Husband Wife Lastname" on almost ALL of them;

3. I've got 15 sub-folders in my contacts for things like business, restaurants, family, medical, etc... Sync will MOVE contacts from one sub-folder to the other, or pull them out and to the main Contacts directory randomly.

Luckily, I had a backup on my old phone (palm treo), so I removed ALL contacts from Outlook, re-backed up from my old phone, and now, only sync ONE WAY - from Outlook to the 9700. But I can't tolerate this for long. It just seems that 2-way sync with the Desktop Manager is dangerous.

Are there any other BETTER sync alternatives out there? Or does anyone know why I'm having these problems to begin with?

Michael
    03-24-10 06:33 PM
    I am also thinking of moving from a palm Treo to Outlook for use with a BIS BB. Hence your experience is very interesting. When you say "re-backed up from my old phone" what do you mean? Any other info would be appreciated.

B B
    03-25-10 08:25 AM
    I am currently using thinkpost.net for a 2 way sync of contacts, notes, calendar and tasks wirelessly. It's $4/mth but worth it for me. You need to install the BB app and sign up for an account on thinkpost.net. You can also try and use google sync but that would only take care of contacts and calendar. I tried it and it screwed up my calendar and contacts so bad I stopped using it. I have about 250 contacts and 2500 calendar entries and thinkpost works good for me, plus the customer support is awesome. the CEO actually responds himself if you have any questions/issues.

Forgot to mention that the sync occurs by having a copy of your data on the thinkpost site. You will also need to install a plugin in outlook on your PC to sync to thinpost for anything you add to outlook. There are options to do a 2 way sync, one way from outlook to server and a one way from server to outlook as well as the same options on your BB. Works well for me and as long as your data in clean on the thinkpost server you can always recover the data one way so your contacts or calendar entries are not duplicated. Like after you install a new OS you can do a one way sync from server to BB first before turning on 2 way sync. Just as a precaution so you don't duplicate entries.
    Last edited by squally123; 03-25-10 at 09:05 AM.
    03-25-10 09:00 AM
    I'm using companionlink right now since I can't sync natively with Outlook 2010. It does a pretty good job.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-25-10 10:10 AM
    I am also thinking of moving from a palm Treo to Outlook for use with a BIS BB. Hence your experience is very interesting. When you say "re-backed up from my old phone" what do you mean? Any other info would be appreciated.
    B B
    When I bought the Bold 2wks ago, I first did a final sync with my Treo 680 (I used Chapura KeySuite for better syncing than the standard Palm apps). So, my Treo 680 had ALL the latest data for contacts, notes, tasks, and my calendar. After I found out how badly the Destkop Manager was messing up my contacts (it also messed with my calendar to a degree), I wiped out ALL my contacts in Outlook, re-hooked my Treo to my computer, then set KeySuite to sync ONE WAY - from the Treo to Outlook - hence updating Outlook with the latest GOOD data.

I've since made a backup copy of ALL my Contact folders in my Outlook Archive, in case this happens again, though syncing Outlook with the Blackberry Bold ONE WAY (from Outlook to the Bold) seems to be working OK. It's the two-way sync that messes things up (the bold back to Outlook).

Hope that clarifies things for you,

Michael
    03-25-10 10:18 AM
    I am currently using thinkpost.net for a 2 way sync of contacts, notes, calendar and tasks wirelessly.
    Do you have any contacts in the form I mentioned - similar to

"Fred & Wilma Flintstone"

And does thinkpost get messed up when your phone updates with it?

Michael
    03-25-10 10:21 AM
    I'm using companionlink right now since I can't sync natively with Outlook 2010. It does a pretty good job.

And does companionlink get messed up when your phone updates with it?

Luckily, I still have Outlook 2007 (though preferred Office 2003).

Michael
    03-25-10 10:23 AM
    Michael

It does clarify, many thanks. That OTA service sounds interesting.
    I like having a hard copy on at least one computer.
    B B

03-26-10 06:00 AM

And does thinkpost get messed up when your phone updates with it?

Michael
    I use all different kinds of formats and as long as you file them last name, first name you should be OK. Such as flintstone, fred&Wilma.
    03-26-10 09:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD