I want to compare the thoughts and ideas of two CEOs. One (Dan Hesse) believes that data consumption on smartphones will definitely increase and is making plans for it.@CTIA: Hesse, Morrow detail 4G revolution - RCR Wireless News Another (Mike Lazaridis) want manufacturers to limit data usage. RIM’s Mike Lazaridis wants manufacturers to limit your data usage � Boy Genius Report
    Am I the only one thinking that Mike is way out of touch with the way consumers are using and want to use their phone? Sprint just announced the first 4G smartphone with incredible specs(8 megapixel camera, 1ghz processor, etc) and RIM is still trying to figure out whether to name the 9650 the Tour 2 or the Bold. Wake up RIM and start smelling the coffee, because the pot is boiling over! That is all.
    Last edited by TreeFicus; 03-24-10 at 03:55 PM.
    03-24-10 02:26 PM
    I'm a blackberry addict with my 4th model but even I admit.. They are staying behind... Specially on memory.. Even my storm2 has too little
    03-24-10 02:54 PM
    No, you aren't... if it was up to Mike the current BBs would still be pagers.

Mike to me doesn't even look the part of "current tech". When I look at him I get this... "Copier Salesman" type view of him. lol
    03-24-10 03:50 PM
    Not everyone lives in America, the land of unlimited data plans...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-24-10 04:18 PM

So because of this... and because RIM is a Canadian company, all people around the world should be subject to RIM's way of thinking... No, the carriers in Canada need to get off their penny pinching asses and open up their networks. You guys can't be that far behind up there... geez!
    03-24-10 04:28 PM
    No, the carriers in Canada need to get off their penny pinching asses and open up their networks.
    +1, I can't believe they still haven't, what a joke...
    03-24-10 04:32 PM
    I do love my blackberry, however my eyes are starting to wander when I see specs like 8mp cams, 1ghz processors, plenty of on board memory, etc. The comments from
    Mike Lazardis are not encouraging at all. Could you imagine the CEO of one of the computer manufacturers making a comment like that? I wonder if he has an 8 track player in his car lol
    03-24-10 04:50 PM
    you said it baby!
    03-24-10 05:01 PM
    So because of this... and because RIM is a Canadian company, all people around the world should be subject to RIM's way of thinking... No, the carriers in Canada need to get off their penny pinching asses and open up their networks. You guys can't be that far behind up there... geez!
    Hahaha. What, so RIM's some tyrannical regime now? Come on...
    Besides, we've already been through this. I'm just tired of people always assuming everyone has an unlimited data plan, because capped data plans throw your entire argument against Mike out the window. Now, you could acknowledge the fact that some people benefit from bandwidth efficiency, or you could act in denial and say that, as a country, we should "catch up" and jump on the unlimited bandwidth bandwagon. In other words, we should become just like you... Of course you wouldn't say hypocritical like that now, would you?

03-24-10 05:10 PM
    I'm kinda stoked about a bunch of people leaving this board tbh.

The sad reality is that they are gonna stick around and complain 7 days a week even though they switched platforms though...
    03-24-10 05:17 PM
    Besides, we've already been through this. I'm just tired of people always assuming everyone has an unlimited data plan, because capped data plans throw your entire argument against Mike out the window. Now, you could acknowledge the fact that some people benefit from bandwidth efficiency, or you could act in denial and say that, as a country, we should "catch up" and jump on the unlimited bandwidth bandwagon.
    The simple fact is that truly unlimited bandwidth does not exist, and never will exist. Every new technology has brought increases which seemed to be adequate or even unfillable for the forseeable future, and yet they were creaking within a few years as the equipment manufacturers went wild with "must have" feature races.

What next to bring the downfall of 4G? Any advance on High Definition 2-way realtime video calling with stereo sound requiring multi Gigabit data bandwidth during a call? Virtual reality connections? Whatever it is, you can be sure new concepts will saturate 4G (and 5G) every bit as fast as previous un-anticipated usages have saturated every other communications technology since Bell and Marconi.
    03-24-10 08:09 PM

Maybe not everyone, but at least all the important ones!
    03-24-10 08:22 PM
    Besides, we've already been through this. I'm just tired of people always assuming everyone has an unlimited data plan, because capped data plans throw your entire argument against Mike out the window. Now, you could acknowledge the fact that some people benefit from bandwidth efficiency, or you could act in denial and say that, as a country, we should "catch up" and jump on the unlimited bandwidth bandwagon. In other words, we should become just like you... Of course you wouldn't say hypocritical like that now, would you?

No I won't! And I'll tell you why. If the carriers think they can get away with limited data plans because someone as large as RIM tells them it's OK, then they won't open things up. You don't do this... they're stupid for it. You push carriers to improve their network and push more speed and bandwidth and bring better pricing for unlimited plans. The next time you look at your limited and cap'd data plan and think you're paying too much, thank big fat Mike for it.

That the problem with you guys up there... you never learn. You can't pussyfoot all around an issue and make the other guy feel good when they have a crappy resource you depend upon. Frack man, I tell you what... your broadband connection is too fast at your house and work. Let's pull that away and put you back on a 14.4 modem... no, you can't get a 28.8 beyotch... deal with it. See how much you can get done with that!

Do me a favor... STOP SHOOTING YOURSELVES IN THE FOOT!!!! Stop asking carriers to not upgrade their networks and not advance technology.... maybe at Mike's pace we'll start exploring space like... never. God I hate old people and their way of thinking.
    03-24-10 09:52 PM
    God I hate old people and their way of thinking.
    Haha. I'll take that as a compliment. The rest of your bigoted post is not worth a response.

Last edited by Masahiro; 03-25-10 at 02:43 AM.
    03-25-10 02:34 AM
    Data bandwidth is not a *right* or an *entitlement*..

You all need to stop confusing two distinct and separate things.....

1. The CEO of RIM is a moron of he believes data consumption will ever slow its growth.
    2. The USA is one of the VERY FEW places in the world with unlimited data plans for wireless..

So even #1 should know #2 and from a business perspective RIM can simply go make GSM phones with old technology and service the non-USA market... who cares??... the market will take care of itself.
    03-25-10 07:15 AM
    .....Its old traditional thinking like RIM that will. Stunt the world. Kinda like that old lady that doesn't even wanna try to deal with a touch tone phone. The person that will hold tight to their razr for 700 years without opening their mind to anything else..

03-25-10 07:27 AM
    Using bandwidth efficiently isn't a restriction on what you do and neither is it a bad thing even with an uncapped data, at worst you are no worse off than before and at best you have saved time.

As far as Mike Lazaridis, he's clearly not a moron nor did he say that he expects people's usage to decrease, his point is that you can slow the rate of increase of usage by doing things more efficiently thats all.

Incidentally, even the sprint guy thinks they will charge by the gb in the future:

Sprint CEO: We're Moving From Voice Minutes To Gigabytes Used - Et tu, Hesse? - dslreports.com
    03-25-10 06:40 PM
    Not that I believe this is Mike's motivation, but phone apps are clearly evolving to data hungry SUV status. We become increasingly reliant upon apps designed without a thought for data conservation then WHAM...the price of gas goes to $4.75 a gallon (meaning the carriers all change their pricing). At that point, because we can't imagine life without our SUV applications, we just bend over and hope its over quickly.

The US carriers like to be competitive. "Competitive" is a double edge sword. They'll point to other countries' pricing and say they can't sustain their unlimited ways and the change puts them in line (competitive) with their foreign peers. At that point, we'll all wish we listened to Mike.

03-30-10 04:29 PM
    Lol you're the queen anger mongerer!

"Don't be nieve" and assume we in canada want limited plans or are ok with the IDEA. That's foolish and beneath your usual thought provoking speculations.

Last edited by TheComebackKidd; 03-30-10 at 05:02 PM.
    03-30-10 04:55 PM
    Lol you're the queen anger mongerer!

"Don't be nieve" and assume we in canada want limited plans or are ok with the IDEA. That's foolish and beneath your usual thought provoking speculations.

That was my point. I think you misread the post.
    03-30-10 08:41 PM
    Civic, I thought you were all excited about CEO's dictating industry. You were super jazzed with Jobs flexing muscle to force HTML5 on everyone. You are lacking consistency angry civic. If I recognize the pattern I am about to be told I just don't understand what you meant...followed by the new tangent...
    03-30-10 08:50 PM
    I think that the amount of data that mobile devices use is going to increase exponentially before long. Think about it, when smartphones first came out, it was basically for email. Now you have all sorts of apps, social networks, video services, internet radio streaming services and what not. I think that RIM asking carriers to limit heavy users is just their way of saying their infrastructure is not meant to handle these ever increasing bandwidth demands and they don't plan on doing anything to increase their potential ability to do so. Hence, they mention they fact that they are able to provide data services with substantially less data.

We have to pay the carriers ridiculous amounts of money for data as is so I think that we should get our money's worth. I don't think that the mobile industry is going to suddenly start moving toward less data bandwidth usage. I say keep increasing the infrastructure and let massive bandwidth consumption continue. I would like to view HD quality video on the go and listen to all the music I want
    03-30-10 09:32 PM
    Civic, I thought you were all excited about CEO's dictating industry. You were super jazzed with Jobs flexing muscle to force HTML5 on everyone. You are lacking consistency angry civic. If I recognize the pattern I am about to be told I just don't understand what you meant...followed by the new tangent...
    lol, I wasn't jazzed about the direction, but jazzed about the power of one CEO and why RIM doesn't do some of the same moves. However, just because I like it when someone has the power to influence industry doesn't mean I will always agree with the direction they influence it in. I, for example, wouldn't agree with Mike steering the industry into a non-media rich environment because he wants to keep his handsets old school. Sorry, but I want a future where technology is all around us and the things we see in the make belief world of TV shows and movies come to fruition. After all, that's where the cell phone concept came from and I look forward to many more things coming out. Anyone poised to slow this down with concerns for bandwidth or their own pockets doesn't bode well with my viewpoint on where the future stands. However, we're not here to talk about economic direction or reform... I just want better tech and at a faster pace. The quicker, the better, the sooner the future will develop.
    03-30-10 10:24 PM
    I just want better tech and at a faster pace. The quicker, the better, the sooner the future will develop.
    This is the exact opposite of what RIM is doing while Google with Android and HTC with the hardware seem to understand the idea a little better.

As for Mike Lazardis. I completely disagree with what he said about bandwidth and the fact that that a CEO talked about this and saying that people need to conserver bandwidth. All he did is show the direction of where BlackBerry is heading which appears to be backwards. We are now seeing phones with 4G technology and BlackBerrys can hardly even take advantage of 3G technology.
    03-30-10 11:05 PM
    That's not what he said, BGR is just being sensational.

You can view the keynote yourself:

In the first part he talks about the capacity crunch and emphasizing the BlackBerry efficient use of bandwidth. In the end of the second part he mentions that the industry needs to work together with: the right incentives, the right standards, and the right investments.

Now, I can see how someone might latch on "incentives" but this is said in Europe in front of global carriers. It does not mean capping unlimited US based plans. It may well be a way of saying that carriers should promote BlackBerry usage more.

With that said, I personally have doubts about RIM's "supply side" strategy. Competitors like Apple simply promise consumers a desktop like experience, working on the "demand side". And carriers are then dying to offer the iPhone even as it's a PITA to support on their network and is ruining the experience for everyone. RIM is outdated in that sense, having much earlier roots than Apple. That's their weakness.

03-30-10 11:49 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD