Well I guess we can all accept the fact that the Storm 9530 is now the new Pearl. The amount of leaks that have dropped in the past week and not one of em were for the Storm 1. They are almost at 5.0.6xx and we still stuck at .419. Well I think I will be doin what the OS leakers been doin to the Storm 1... MOVING ON... Wonder how the Bold holds up?!?!?!
    03-23-10 03:40 PM
    I'm dissappointed that we're not getting leaks anymore, but I'm not going to switch my device because of that..
    03-23-10 03:55 PM
    It has already been announced that RIM was planning to discontinue support for the S1 (I can't recall the date, sorry). In device years, the S1 is at least qualified to receive AARP discounts, so it's no surprise. I loved my S1, it was a great phone, but time marches on (especially in technology).
    03-23-10 03:59 PM
    Storm 2, from Verizon buy one get one... 99.99
    03-23-10 04:02 PM
    this suckz,,,they should at least gave us sumth
    03-23-10 04:23 PM
    Well I guess we can all accept the fact that the Storm 9530 is now the new Pearl. The amount of leaks that have dropped in the past week and not one of em were for the Storm 1. They are almost at 5.0.6xx and we still stuck at .419. Well I think I will be doin what the OS leakers been doin to the Storm 1... MOVING ON... Wonder how the Bold holds up?!?!?!
    Storm 1 has been given its last few breaths of life a month ago or so already. Verizon officially has stated it will no longer be carrying it after current inventory is depleted.

Why carry the Storm 1 when the Storm 2 is out anyways?
    03-23-10 06:20 PM
    I have weathered this S1 through thick and thin, and in the land of iphones (NYC) and their faux-trendy sanctimonious users, I stuck true to my BB and sang its praises. But the lack of support and upgrades, the memory drain, quirks, and now deterioration (camera stopped focusing, screen no longer responsive at odd times, etc etc etc) of my Storm is too much to bear for much longer.

Now, not to sound like a total traitor, but I was given a brand new, completely unlocked Nexus One that a relative received complimentary from Google. The N1 is not yet officially released by Verizon (but will soon) so I've not activated it with any phone service, but have done quite a bit with it just by wifi, and I must say this thing blows the storm completely out of the water in every sense. The OS is smooth and beautiful, the apps are great and functional, it's browser is so fast and so much easier to navigate, tons of memory, great camera, blah blah. So.. I will miss my BB Messenger, but that's about it. While I haven't chucked the Storm out just yet, as soon as Verizon officially supports the Nexus my bedraggled Storm 1 will be gone.
    03-23-10 06:54 PM
    Ugh and the Droids wander in. You guys have your own forum, eh?

And about the Storm leaks, we had about 6 in 3 months right before the S2 dropped. Since then there have been few, but you guys howled and you got .419, and now you're already wanting more! They said .419 was most likely the last leak happening for the Storm. ****, the Storm 2 has only had three leaks since release. We had to wait just as long as you guys for our .451. It's a dated device. If you really want more leaks for another few months until the Storm 3 drops or whatever, get an S2.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-23-10 07:21 PM
    I'd be upset too, but it's not like the Storm2 has gotten alot...But I think it's due to the memory
    03-23-10 07:26 PM
    I do really like my Storm, but there will always be better devices coming out so I understand fading support. It is kind of like Apple dropping support for PowerPC chips with Snow Leopard. The computers may still be useable, but the newer ones are faster and more refined.

So I'll use my Storm until I find something I like better. It may be close to its peak performance given the hardware
    03-23-10 07:59 PM
    It has already been announced that RIM was planning to discontinue support for the S1 (I can't recall the date, sorry).
    Does this mean no 6.0.x.x for us?
    03-23-10 08:48 PM
    i love my storm 1, but its time for a new one. i will hold out till the storm 3 comes out.
    03-23-10 09:04 PM
    I think Salomondrin had an opportunity to play with what's supposed to be the Storm 3 some time ago. Obviously, he wasn't allowed to give out too much detail or pictures but I do remember him saying that it is one nice device.

Hopefully more news on that will come soon. I hope it comes out around the time my NE2 discount kicks in...
    03-23-10 09:08 PM
    I think that a device should be supported with the latest software for as long as they require you to sign a contract for. If they offer a 2 year discount price, than the OS should be supported for that 2 years.
    03-23-10 10:30 PM
    This is the most A.D.D adled forum I've ever come across. "I love my Storm, but if RIM doesn't drop a new OS soon I'm switching device!" Well, if you love the phone so much, I assume the current OS is doing its job. So why sit around and wait for a new OS. Or...or...or...."I've been singing the praises of this phone to everyone, but I'm gonna get a Droid if we don't get a new OS." Again, if the current OS is so ****ty, why were you singing the praises of the phone to other people? I can go on and on.

The bottom line people, is that you can't have it both ways. If you love the phone, accept the current OS and take any future leaks or official releases as bonuses. If you don't love the phone, don't frequent these forums and blindly defend the phone against any slight critique made of it, as happens any time someone posts about how they're going to switch phones.

But all this is b.s. The reality is that most of you people have serious A.D.D. You need a new OS for no other reason than getting a new OS. No matter how functional your phone may get, it will never be enough. Admit it.
    03-24-10 08:51 AM
    I agree with Floyd, but also wanted to point all the previous posters to the OS discussion forums. There they have several different hybrids and patches that load the same as a new OS. Go try out Lyricidals .497 or .548(B), they kick serious asss!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-24-10 08:56 AM
    Well the Storm 1 should be getting at least one more update since it is in the list of supported phones for Verizon's new Push-To-Talk. Everyone else with the PTT capability is seeing leaks. Let us just wait and see.
    03-24-10 09:59 AM
    This is the most A.D.D adled forum I've ever come across. "I love my Storm, but if RIM doesn't drop a new OS soon I'm switching device!" Well, if you love the phone so much, I assume the current OS is doing its job. So why sit around and wait for a new OS. Or...or...or...."I've been singing the praises of this phone to everyone, but I'm gonna get a Droid if we don't get a new OS." Again, if the current OS is so ****ty, why were you singing the praises of the phone to other people? I can go on and on.

The bottom line people, is that you can't have it both ways. If you love the phone, accept the current OS and take any future leaks or official releases as bonuses. If you don't love the phone, don't frequent these forums and blindly defend the phone against any slight critique made of it, as happens any time someone posts about how they're going to switch phones.

But all this is b.s. The reality is that most of you people have serious A.D.D. You need a new OS for no other reason than getting a new OS. No matter how functional your phone may get, it will never be enough. Admit it.
    No, because you leave out a 3rd category of people - those who want a new OS because they are not happy with their phones. I'm quite sure there are quite a few people unhappy people not singing the praises of RIM. I bought one on launch date and took the calculated risk of not bringing it back within the 30 day return window despite the many, many flaws with it. And I have nobody buy myself to blame for that. I foolishly thought that RIM would find this device important enough to fix the many early issues I had with it. Now they gradually did fix some of the most severe bugs getting it to the somewhat usable point. But this phone sucks and has soured me on RIM. It's my 3rd, and last, Blackberry. Now I'm stuck with paying full price for a new phone or waiting until July rolls around when I can get my next discount on a phone. I nearly bought the Droid at full retail when it came out, but decided I had been enough of a guinea pig so I held off.
    03-24-10 12:23 PM
    No, because you leave out a 3rd category of people - those who want a new OS because they are not happy with their phones. I'm quite sure there are quite a few people unhappy people not singing the praises of RIM. I bought one on launch date and took the calculated risk of not bringing it back within the 30 day return window despite the many, many flaws with it. And I have nobody buy myself to blame for that. I foolishly thought that RIM would find this device important enough to fix the many early issues I had with it. Now they gradually did fix some of the most severe bugs getting it to the somewhat usable point. But this phone sucks and has soured me on RIM. It's my 3rd, and last, Blackberry. Now I'm stuck with paying full price for a new phone or waiting until July rolls around when I can get my next discount on a phone. I nearly bought the Droid at full retail when it came out, but decided I had been enough of a guinea pig so I held off.
    What do you specifically not like about your phone? "This phone sucks" doesn't really explain what the problem is.
    03-24-10 12:29 PM
    What bothers me mostly about bein left out in the cold is that we didn't even go out with a bang. I mean .419 is ok BUT it could've been MUCH better. At least let the Storm 1 go out with some balls. We basically having our Storm 1 living off a respiratory systems with these hybrids, NO DISRESPECT but let us have 1 last GREAT leak and let the Storm 1 finally R.I.P. Hopefully we get one more.
    03-24-10 03:47 PM
    Kryngle, what do you find lacking in the current OS? You keep making general claims but don't point out anything specific.
    03-24-10 03:52 PM
    The issues I have with my .419 is the memory is leaking and the battery life is horrible. I can charge my phone up and after sendin 5-10 text/bbm messages the battery starts to lose a power bar. Its really horrible but other than that, its not THAT BAD...
    03-24-10 05:20 PM
    The issues I have with my .419 is the memory is leaking and the battery life is horrible. I can charge my phone up and after sendin 5-10 text/bbm messages the battery starts to lose a power bar. Its really horrible but other than that, its not THAT BAD...
    I know what you mean when you say memory leak, but if you're going to be honest about it, than 1)how bad is the leak and 2)is it really affecting performance? I suspect that the memory leak problem is nothing more than you checking your memory every few hours and seeing it lower and lower, creating a psychological annoyance.

As for the battery life...is this after every charge? I ask because for the most part I have pretty decent battery life. However, sometimes, a random application can cause a battery drain. Usually, this is something a battery pull or a recharge will solve.
    03-24-10 06:50 PM
    What do you specifically not like about your phone? "This phone sucks" doesn't really explain what the problem is.
    My Storm sucks because: it is sluggish, often freezing for 10-15 seconds at a time, it occasionally reboots itself, the OS has memory leaks, and I'm tired of the crappy keyboard on it. I'm on my second phone and all of these issues happen on both phones and both with, and without, any 3rd party themes or applications loaded. My wife picked up a Droid a couple of months ago and while it has it's own quirks, she doesn't have nearly the issues with it as I still do with my phone. Very frustrating.

I did learn one lesson here - I will never sign up for more than a one year contract on a smart phone again. Things change too fast and getting stuck with the Storm for 20 months was much too painful. I'll pay the $80 extra or whatever it ends up being for a quicker exchange, if needed.
    03-24-10 08:27 PM
    my storm had the same freezing and rebooting issues. I finally decided to load the newest hybrid on and so far it has been flawless and very snappy. No more huge memory loss (although most of the time this is app memory and doesn't really effect performance), even web browsing is snappier.

If your that unhappy try one of the hybrids to tide you over until your upgrade. I have another year from this july on my storm I.
    03-25-10 11:33 AM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD