Downloaded os 5.0.508 and now lock icon is missing. I can hold the A button and put it in what seems to be sleep mode, but my name and info does not show up on the home screen anymore. And you now push the mute button to unlock the keyboard. These are the only changes I have noticed. I liked the other way better.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-22-10 10:43 PM
    Downgrade to 5.0.0.459! Sorry your not getting many replies but its late. I'm sure somebody can help you tomorrow! Try asking again tomorrow at like 12:00 or so

03-22-10 11:32 PM
    Hey there,
    I stumbled on your problem as I was searching for a solution of my own... and then accidentally found the answer while trying to fix another update-related glitch.
    The lock icon isn't gone, it was just deemed 'unnecessary' I suppose.
    If you want it back -- as well as other icons that you may be missing -- go into:
    Options>Screen/Keyboard
    Then scroll down all the way to "Menu" and change "short menu" to "full menu"
    That will bring our dear keyboard lock icon back front and centre!
    Good luck!
    03-23-10 01:59 AM
    Did the same thing yesterday. I downloaded the latest OS release and I lost my setting for the "Right Side Convenience Key" button to lock my keyboard. I went to the Screen/Keyboard setting and set the menu to Full Options, and still no keyboard lock button. I do have the "Keylocker" app installed and that stopped working as well. OUCH
    03-25-10 08:40 AM
    Hey there,
    I stumbled on your problem as I was searching for a solution of my own... and then accidentally found the answer while trying to fix another update-related glitch.
    The lock icon isn't gone, it was just deemed 'unnecessary' I suppose.
    If you want it back -- as well as other icons that you may be missing -- go into:
    Options>Screen/Keyboard
    Then scroll down all the way to "Menu" and change "short menu" to "full menu"
    That will bring our dear keyboard lock icon back front and centre!
    Good luck!
    Tried this, but after I enabled "full menu" I can't find where to assign the left button to "screen lock".
    03-25-10 10:49 AM
    Did the same thing yesterday. I downloaded the latest OS release and I lost my setting for the "Right Side Convenience Key" button to lock my keyboard. I went to the Screen/Keyboard setting and set the menu to Full Options, and still no keyboard lock button. I do have the "Keylocker" app installed and that stopped working as well. OUCH
    Yeah, like others have said RIM thought it wasn't necessary to have the lock screen anymore. I guess it never bothered me because I always used standby since I thought it saved more battery life than keyboard lock, so this change wasn't so big on me. I actually like being able to go into stand by but just moving my thumb over to A. :P
    03-25-10 11:59 AM
    I had the same issue... Hate putting a password in everytime. On all the upgrades above 5.0.411 this is the story though. I downgraded to the leaked .411 and am more then happy to sacrifice whatever Im missing on .509 (which I dont know what exactly is different) Anyways I got my lock icon back and set to my convenience key and happy...
    03-25-10 12:25 PM
    how do i downgrade to the old OS?
    03-25-10 06:37 PM
    If we're stuck with the mute key as the Lock button, does anyone know how to remap the keyboard or the Convenience Keys?
    03-27-10 09:19 AM
    I tried changing it to full menu and I still don't see the lock button. I'm starting to wish i hadn't done the update because all of my contacts got messed up too.
    03-27-10 09:45 AM
    how do i downgrade to the old OS?
    Options > advanced options > wireless upgrade.

I wasn't happy with the upgrade so that's where I found the downgrade. But I kept getting a message to upgrade to 508. Finally did the upgrade through DM, and my bb is much better.
    03-27-10 10:14 AM
    Does this mean password locking the phone Is gone?

03-27-10 11:21 AM
    All i've found is lock upon holstering
    Last edited by HFD_Lieutenant; 03-27-10 at 11:26 AM.
    03-27-10 11:22 AM
    You can set a convenience key to "Password Lock"
    03-27-10 11:50 AM
    To be able to use a convenience key to lock your blackberry with the new OS, you have to enable Password under Options. Type in a password and save it. Then you will have "Password Lock" in your options for either convenience key. It is a pain to have to type in a password everytime you unlock it, but then you don't have to downgrade to the old OS.
    Samiha likes this.
    03-27-10 01:25 PM
    It is a pain to have to type in a password everytime you unlock it, but then you don't have to downgrade to the old OS.
    To solve the problem, use 5.0.0.411 for 8520 (I don't know if there's a 5.0 OS with keyboard lock for 8530). You get the advantages of OS 5.0 AND a working keyboard lock.

RapidShare: 1-CLICK Web hosting - Easy Filehosting
    03-27-10 02:20 PM
    you have to press alt+enter to lock your keyboard. if your language shortcut is set to alt+enter then go to options and then language and disable the short cut. then you can use alt + enter to lock the keyboard. this will display your name and information on the screen.
    03-27-10 02:32 PM
    did the alt+enter on a customers phone and it was set to "input language", went thru the options to disable the short cut and upon returning to the home screen, alt+enter does nothing...
    03-27-10 02:54 PM
    DO NOT INSTALL 8520 software on a 8530. Get an hybrid or something but don't install other device's OS. Chances are not only lock icon will be gone but all your device's abilities to do anything.

This has been covered plenty of times here. If you don't like it, downgrade to .459. Check the 101 for procedures.
    03-27-10 03:10 PM
    Just did the update last night. Was very irritated to find the lock option MIA. I can't understand why it was thought to be not necessary????

Anyway, I was able to do the pw lock option and then set it to the left side convenience key, just as I had the previous lock on this phone and my curve 8330 before. While it is a bit of a hassle to type in a pw when you need to quickly make a call or something, it's better than realizing you have just called and left a 14 minute message on someone's vm!

Ever since I've been a BB owner, I'm always a little disappointed to find that something isn't as convenient as I would like it to be. I think I started to think of having a BB as having NO problems or concerns with my phone.
    Guess I've been spoiled by BB.

Thanks for this post!!!!!!
    03-28-10 04:11 PM
    switching to full menu does not bring back the key lock... im really frustrated
    03-29-10 10:19 AM
    switching to full menu does not bring back the key lock... im really frustrated
    ONE MORE TIME: The keyboard lock IS NOT MISSING !

They changed the security system so you can lock the keyboard without locking the BB. The BB lock is intended to primarily be a security lock not a power saving or accidental input lock.

There are 2 keys that will lock the keyboard. Holding the top "mute" button or the A key will lock the keyboard and put it to sleep but NOT lock the BB. The top button "mute" will unlock the keyboard and wake it up.

To lock the BB and get the icon you have to set a password. Set a password and the icon will appear. Using the icon or setting a side key to "Password Lock" WILL lock the BB requiring password to unlock. With password set you can also set the holster to lock the BB (requiring password) or not.

It makes sense ......
    Last edited by TPadden; 03-29-10 at 10:48 AM.
    03-29-10 10:30 AM
    got it.. thanks.. this is my first bb. One more question.. if i use the sleep mode will it help battery life?
    03-29-10 10:37 AM
    got it.. thanks.. this is my first bb. One more question.. if i use the sleep mode will it help battery life?
    Yes ...... turning off WiFi and Bluetooth will too. The biggest drain I've found is calls or use with weak signal. When I travel I power it down, or turn off the Mobile Network until I need to make a call.
    03-29-10 10:42 AM
    Yes ...... turning off WiFi and Bluetooth will too. The biggest drain I've found is calls or use with weak signal. When I travel I power it down, or turn off the Mobile Network until I need to make a call.
    thank you so much for your help!!!!!
    03-29-10 10:47 AM
60 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD