With the news that Google with ship the Nexus One unlocked to Canada...does this mean it will run on the Telus HSPA Network?

According to the press release, the phone will run on the Rogers Network...which we all know has the same frequency bands as Telus (I think). So, technically, this phone should work as long as there is a Telus SIM Card in it....right?

http://http://googlenexusoneboard.bl...ith-at-3g.html
    03-22-10 03:13 PM
    nevermind, I answered my own question...

Canada

Two versions of the device are currently offered. Both versions support four GSM radio frequencies (850/900/1800/1900), but the supported 3G/UMTS bands will differ depending on the version selected. When ordering, you'll be able to select either of the following devices:

3G coverage on networks that use the 850 MHz, 1900 MHz, and 2100 MHz frequency bands (recommended for use on AT&T in the US and Rogers Wireless, Bell Mobility and TELUS in Canada)
    3G coverage on networks that use the 900 MHz, AWS, and 2100 MHz frequency bands (recommended for use on T-Mobile in the US)
    In addition, the Nexus One will deliver 2G/EDGE speeds on GSM networks and also supports WiFi.

These cover most major GSM mobile providers worldwide; however, if you're unsure of the bands supported by your mobile service provider, please contact your provider directly prior to purchase.

So this means that the phone DOES work on Telus...Im surprise people aren't more excited about this...
    03-22-10 03:14 PM
    I think the Nexus One has been receiving a lot of mixed reviews down south and it isn't as attractive a phone as people might like. Plus, the release hasn't really been overly advertised, so people aren't really jumping on the bandwagon as much as you'd expect.

The purchase structure is also new to most people, which makes it strange for a lot of people - you buy the phone directly from Google, not in store, which is very different.
    03-22-10 04:24 PM
    Yeah, I can't see it worth being $529 + $70 in import duties and taxes (which is what people are being charged) to Canada.

I had one ordered when it was announced for Telus a week ago, but canceled once I googled about its multi-touch issues. I chickened out and canceled it when I still had the chance (30 minutes cancellation window).

See this video for the issue with the phone. Really, it's a dealbreaker.

If I were you... I'd save your money for the HTC Desire. Supposed to be coming out relatively soon (not sure which 3G bands at first, though). It's a Nexus One with an optical trackball and the custom Sense UI to cover up Android's crude 'rawness'.
    03-22-10 11:04 PM
    I puchased on yesterday just for the simple fact that I want a new toy to play with....I'm still going to using my BB 9700 as my primary mobile...

I'm not to worried about the multi-touch issue...I've used touchscreens for years now and can probably count on one hand how many times I need to use multitouch...other then that, this phone is special isn't it's an actual GOOGLE phone made by HTC, not like other android phones that are HTC phones feature google OS.

Either way, I can wait to play with mine...and yes, I have money to burn hahaha I'm a collector!
    03-23-10 09:18 AM
    I got charged $30 for import duty/GST when it got to my house, in Sherwood Park, Alberta, so you pay different amounts depending on province.
    03-23-10 02:08 PM
    Mine came yesterday and set it up on Telus today. Are there better phones - maybe. Are there better phones coming - you bet. There's always something better coming. By the time you get it, it's obsolete and something better is coming again. BUT, the concept of a phone that's never been tied to a carrier is quite liberating. All you need are the APN settings and you can put this on all the networks mentioned. Do I need to have mobile data while I'm in the States for two weeks - no I can probably get by with Wifi at a hotel or whatever, but I can run into any corner store and get a quick prepaid card for phone and txt pretty quick for my Nexus.

As Google updates it's OS, I want an unfettered (leave the Carriers out of it) line to those updates and improvements. Imagine where we'd be if our desktop/laptop computers had followed this model where we're tied to a carrier for 3 years and said carrier dictates what we can and can't have. Has everyone forgotten the wifi on Storm debates (thank you Verizon) that went around on here?? I consider my $570 a contribution to the Carrier revolt/revolution that needs to come. Thank you Google for leading the charge. Can Google improve their model - definitely, but it's not bad for a first stab.

Cost - yes all in I paid the cost on the website plus 35$ brokerage fee. So essentially $570. A bold 9700 no contract on Telus is $649. Have seen as low as $599 on others. As is the Milestone $599, but you still need to add on $20 or $30 to get it unlocked. A 16GB Iphone is still 699 with no contract and you can never do a hardware unlock on it. Just software which is a losing battle. So is $570 a bad deal for a phone like the Nexus? Even including the multi touch issue it still seems a good buy to me just for the carrier flexibility.
    03-23-10 09:44 PM
    Good reply. How are you liking your phone?

I have a Bold 9700 now, would I just need to slip out my sim card and into the Nexus One? Wouldn't I need to change my bb plan to some other plan on Telus before using the Nexus one? I'm just thinking it's not a process of when I want to use the Bold 9700 I can't just take out the sim and slip it in due to the bb plan. Am I correct?
    04-24-10 08:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD