I just got a blackberry pearl and I can't get the ringer to ring longer - any suggestions?
    06-17-08 07:12 PM
    Profiles>Loud...

If that doesnt work or make it any louder then you need to change the settings in that profile... so go to

Profiles>advanced>loud>Phone>Volume (change to High)

Welcome to Crackberry!!
    06-17-08 07:23 PM
    I'm confused is it ring longer or louder? If longer I'm not sure. My phone rings 6 or 7 times about 30 to 40 seconds before voicemail picks up.
    06-18-08 01:30 AM
    i mis-read the OP i guess they want to make it ring longer...
    06-18-08 07:59 AM
    To make your phone ring longer then you should choose a longer ring tone?? Most ringtones 30 - 40 seconds are suitable...

If you call your phone, it should ring about 4 or 5 times before going to voice mail... and there is no way to change that (on any cell phone for that matter)

To ring louder go to Profiles > Loud
    06-18-08 08:06 AM
    On GSM systems you CAN change the number of seconds before a call forwards to voicemail. This can be accomplished on ANY GSM handset, even blackberry devices, without involving customer service, it can be accomplished via the handset.

On CDMA systems (such as sprint) the ability to change the number of seconds before a call is forwarded to voicemail is not supported (although technically CDMA "could" allow this, Sprint just does not support that feature, i have no idea if Verizon does).

On Nextel iDen Blackberry's you can call customer service and have the number of seconds before calls are forwarded to VM changed.

So to answer your question, no you can not change the number of seconds before a call is forwarded to voicemail on the Sprint CDMA network.
    06-18-08 03:42 PM
    If you call your phone, it should ring about 4 or 5 times before going to voice mail... and there is no way to change that (on any cell phone for that matter)
    This is incorrect.

On your Tmobile handset/blackberry you can type in the following code to change the number of seconds before your call is forwarded to voicemail. This is common to all GSM systems:

**61*+VMN*11*TT#

SEND

VMN = Your carriers voicemail number (not your phone number usually). This needs to be entered in the international format (ie +1 areacode phone number)

TT= The number of seconds you wish to elapse prior to incoming calls beign forwarded to the VMN. Typically the number would range from 5 to 25. This represents seconds. Some systems support longer durations, you just have to experiment and try.

Please note, this ONLY works on GSM systems.
    06-18-08 03:50 PM
    That is pretty awesome!!

Thanks for the info... never knew that!

Kind of useful in some instances, but pretty useless for me... as everyone is used to the "standard" time it takes to get to my VM
    06-18-08 03:54 PM
    i know u cant with telus cause i called and asked.
    06-18-08 03:56 PM
    The number of rings is set by your provider

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-18-08 04:07 PM
    That is pretty awesome!!

Thanks for the info... never knew that!

Kind of useful in some instances, but pretty useless for me... as everyone is used to the "standard" time it takes to get to my VM
    Yaa, if you set it way out, most people wont let it ring past 5 rings anyway before they give up.

When i had Tmo i did increase it to 25 seconds, as the first ring on tmobile is, at least in my market, a "phantom" ring. I believe tmobiles default is 20 seconds. I could be wrong on that though.

The problem with sprint is that the caller gets phantom rings while the network searches for your phone, sometimes resulting in the caller hearing 6 or 7 rings before VM kicks in. My Sprint phone will usually ring on at least the second ring, but it has been known to get wacky once in a while.
    06-18-08 04:29 PM
    Hey - just a quick question regarding the BB leather sleeve. i keep my phone in the sleeve and when it rings i go to pull it out and the call ends. How do i stop that from happening?
    06-19-08 03:14 AM
    For the T-Mobile Curve you dial the following **61*18056377243**30# then press send.

30 is the number of seconds you want and is also the max you can enter
    06-19-08 06:38 AM
    Hey - just a quick question regarding the BB leather sleeve. i keep my phone in the sleeve and when it rings i go to pull it out and the call ends. How do i stop that from happening?
    Are you sure about that? Sounds very odd. Does this happen all the time or just sometimes?

If you accidentally press the mute key on top of the phone it will stop ringing, but the call wont end.

Are you putting your phone in the sleeve the correct way? If you put it in backwards the roller ball could be getting rolled when you pull it out and somehow hanging up the call.

I also ALWAYS lock my keypad before putting my phone into my holster or sleeve. I have the left side button programmed for keypad lock. Perhaps try that if you are not alreeady doing so. You can also put the phone in standby (which also loicks the keypad) by pressing the MUTE button at the top of the phone. Either way i think the keyboard should be locked in some fashion before being put into the holster. This may or may not solve your problem.

The only other thing i can think of is that there is a setting that hangs the phone up when it is put *in* the sleeve. I wonder if this is somehow getting confused. Try turning that feature OFF*.

*Can be turned off by pressing SEND to enter the call log, then press the menu button and go to options, then select general options, and select AUTO END CALLS and change the setting, then save.
    06-19-08 09:28 AM
    What my problem is (and I think is what actually some people here are trying to explain) is I want my Blackberry Pearl to ring in the sleeve, not vibrate - that's how I miss calls!

Any ideas?!
    07-29-08 11:00 AM
    On GSM systems you CAN change the number of seconds before a call forwards to voicemail. This can be accomplished on ANY GSM handset, even blackberry devices, without involving customer service, it can be accomplished via the handset.

On CDMA systems (such as sprint) the ability to change the number of seconds before a call is forwarded to voicemail is not supported (although technically CDMA "could" allow this, Sprint just does not support that feature, i have no idea if Verizon does).

On Nextel iDen Blackberry's you can call customer service and have the number of seconds before calls are forwarded to VM changed.

So to answer your question, no you can not change the number of seconds before a call is forwarded to voicemail on the Sprint CDMA network.
    Verizon does and they do allow it. As stated in another thread a long time ago, all you have to do is call CS and they will do it. I had no problems when I called. I have about 8 rings (1-2 phantoms) and about 40 seconds before voicemail.

What my problem is (and I think is what actually some people here are trying to explain) is I want my Blackberry Pearl to ring in the sleeve, not vibrate - that's how I miss calls!

Any ideas?!
    All you have to do is go to Profiles, scroll down to advanced, then whatever profile you use for noise (loud, normal, custom), hit the menu key, then edit. Scroll down to phone and change the in-holdster ring to Tone, not Vibrate+Tone. That will solve your problem.
    07-29-08 12:14 PM
    I'm not understanding how to do this.
    the following code you provided? where do i type it in?
    what am i suppost to do? this is consfusing.

This is incorrect.

On your Tmobile handset/blackberry you can type in the following code to change the number of seconds before your call is forwarded to voicemail. This is common to all GSM systems:

**61*+VMN*11*TT#

SEND

VMN = Your carriers voicemail number (not your phone number usually). This needs to be entered in the international format (ie +1 areacode phone number)

TT= The number of seconds you wish to elapse prior to incoming calls beign forwarded to the VMN. Typically the number would range from 5 to 25. This represents seconds. Some systems support longer durations, you just have to experiment and try.

Please note, this ONLY works on GSM systems.
    09-11-08 10:13 AM
    Will that work for the 8110 also? Usually you can call your service provider and they can change the lenght of rings. Good luck
    09-11-08 10:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD