im about to upgrade my 8900 to OS5.
    which os5 is most recomeneded
    i use orange as my provider
    +can anyone help with a link to upgrade?
    Thanks so much!
    03-20-10 11:27 AM
    Hello I'm not sure which os 5.0 is better . . I've downloaded and installed one but then I've noticed that it hadn't the arabic language ( can't write in arabic ) but since I don't think that this is a problem to you you can download the OS you like ( Latest is at top of the list ) from this link

Software For BlackBerry� Curve (TM) 8900 smartphone
    BlackBerry Handheld Software v5.0.0.860 (Multilanguage)

Package Version: 5.0.0.860
    Consisting of:
    Applications: 5.0.0.509
    Software Platform: 5.2.0.47
    File name: 8900M_PBr5.0.0_rel860_PL5.2.0.47_A5.0.0.509_Wind_H ellas.exe
    File size: 127.84MB

Link here

This isn't a beta it just became official from "Wind Hellas" (a carrier from Athens). So, who's gonna pull the trigger? I'm still skeptical about the fact that they merged Lock/Standby button or something.

Installation instructions.

Step 1: Download desired OS to your PC.
    Step 2: Install and complete the setup process to have the OS installed.
    Step 3: Remember to delete vendor.xml file if your carrier the OS is not from your carrier.
    Step 4: Do a comprehensive backup in case anything goes wrong.
    Step 5: Connect Bold to PC and click on the Loader and let the process initiate. Loader can be found in the same folder as the vendor.xml file.
    Step 6: Do not unplug the Bold during the process. Process may take around 30-60 minutes to complete.
    03-20-10 11:44 AM
    hi ahmed!
    thank you for the response.
    do you know if there is the hebrew and spanish language? have you seen it?
    03-20-10 01:25 PM
    If you want both your lock and standby to work the way they originally did, .411 is a good one. However, if that's not important, I think it'd be better to go with the most current one.
    03-20-10 02:55 PM
    hi
    i dont use stndby key
    more important is to have hebrew input language
    do you know which one includes?
    03-20-10 03:41 PM
    is the beta and the official version of .509 the same?
    03-21-10 03:20 AM
    hi ahmed!
    thank you for the response.
    do you know if there is the hebrew and spanish language? have you seen it?
    yeah, I think it had the spanish language but I'm not sure which version was it

but why do you want to upgrade your BB's OS ?

oh and one more thing, OS 5.0.0 had this thing with the sms so heads up ( I speak for myself since I had this problem too where when you recieve two sms messages or more you can only see the first sender and reply to him ONLY that Day )

I did not bother to fix it and went to where I bought My BB and told them the problem and they gave me a new Device .. ..

After a lot of trying and messing around with my 8900, I have finally manager to fix the all-sms-under-one-thread problem with OS 5.

What needs to be done is pretty simply.
    1. Download the OS 5.0.0.411 and install it.
    2. Download the OS 5.0.0.348 and install it.
    3. Download an application called Crackmem.
    4. go to, program files>common files>research in motion>shared>loader files>8900M_v5.0.0.348_P5.2.0.23>JAVA>net_rim_bb_s ms_compose.cod and copy it
    5. then, go to, program files>common files>research in motion>shared>loader files>8900M_v5.0.0.411_P5.2.0.313>JAVA> and paste the file there.
    6. ***backup your files in the Blackberry desktop manager*** and ***backup your BBM contacts on the Media card using the BBM application's option menu***
    7. Kill Blackberry Desktop manager.
    8. Open Crackmem and make sure under SELECT OPERATING SYSTEM that the OS 5.0.0.411 is selected.
    9. Click on Wipe Device, this will automatically open the OS installation wizard.
    10. Wait for the progress to finish, it shouldn't take long.
    11. You are done, restore all your options through the Blackberry Desktop Manager.
    12. Download the latest BBM and install it. Reboot your device and restore the contacts using the BBM backup file that you created in step number 6.

I did the above and solved the SMS thread issue with my 8900.

Hope this will be useful to you all.
    03-21-10 05:05 AM
    is the beta and the official version of .509 the same?
    yes they are.

as for the OP, .340 and .411 were both stable and worked great for me. i recently upgraded to .509, but havent had a chance to really use it yet. but it seems really good so far. i would recommend .509 then .411.
    03-21-10 06:24 AM
    dictoresno
    do you know if 509 has hebrew input language?
    03-21-10 11:04 AM
    Tried 509 but went straight back to 411 as I need my keylocker

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-21-10 11:07 AM
    hebrew, hebrew hebrew,......so many posts about where to find it.
    03-22-10 08:44 PM
    i've been running .348 for nearly 4 months now without a single problem.
    03-23-10 12:15 PM
    Hello I'm not sure which os 5.0 is better . . I've downloaded and installed one but then I've noticed that it hadn't the arabic language ( can't write in arabic ) but since I don't think that this is a problem to you you can download the OS you like ( Latest is at top of the list ) from this link
    Ahmed,

the OS 5.0.0.509 does have Arabic language support.
    You can write in arabic SMS, BBM, phonebook and almost anywhere, by using the switch input language option.

You only have to check arabic while installing the OS.

Install and enjoy
    03-24-10 02:36 PM
    Ahmed,

the OS 5.0.0.509 does have Arabic language support.
    You can write in arabic SMS, BBM, phonebook and almost anywhere, by using the switch input language option.

You only have to check arabic while installing the OS.

Install and enjoy
    well thanx for letting me know . . at last I've found one that has it

Thanx again
    03-24-10 05:57 PM
    Tried 509 but went straight back to 411 as I need my keylocker

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Yeah I don't like the new key lock feature but won't go back because .554 is the most stable version to-date for me. I can live with the keylocker, just bought Addonis when it was on sale so I'm good.
    03-24-10 06:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD