In regard to RIM/Verizon pulling the Tour2, supposedly after some had already shipped, I know many posters have indicated that it is likely that nothing more than a name change is being done. With this delay/turnaround being a couple of months (and who knows how much longer), isn't it possible that some hardware changes are being made??

I know this is speculation by all of us at this point, but wondering what others think are being done with the devices currently. Perhaps it does take a couple/few months just to change packaging and such and hardware changes may require FCC approval again, however I am sure hoping that we will see more than just a name change! I love the look of the 9700, however I am guessing that is not very likely....

Thoughts?
    Last edited by ew800; 03-20-10 at 08:40 AM.
    03-20-10 08:36 AM
    I think not. Is it possible, sure. But given RIM's track record I don't think they would do anything to actually improve this phone. It is probably going to just disappoint like many other phones they have made.
    03-20-10 09:22 AM
    Agreed. As much as I want this to be a 9700 on VZW, I have my doubts. Just have a feeling it will be the same phone we have been seeing with no changes, except maybe the battery cover. I hope I'm wrong, but we are probably all up for a let down.
    03-20-10 09:47 AM
    the only hardware change that we know of so far is a new battery door and the back saying "Bold" into it. more then likely a leather battery door as well. but everythign else, is still up in the air yet on what else they changed
    03-20-10 09:48 AM
    Dream on everyone..

The curve and pearl had either GSM or CDMA radios in a same size package.. the 9700 is GSM only.. so dont hold your breath for a GSM+CDMA in the 9700 case.. unless you are telling me that the tour packaging was larger than it needed to be...
    03-20-10 10:50 AM
    Agreed. As much as I want this to be a 9700 on VZW, I have my doubts. Just have a feeling it will be the same phone we have been seeing with no changes, except maybe the battery cover. I hope I'm wrong, but we are probably all up for a let down.
    I suspect you may be right. RIM is not exactly know for revolutionary or "game changing" devices in the supersmart phone world (last one where RIM went "outside the box" being the Storm 1 and we know how that worked out...). A few months ago we seemed to be under the impression that RIM had a warehouse full of 9650s ready to be shipped. Rumor was that a few a them had even showed up in NY stores. If that was the case, what are they going to do with all those units, toss them out back in the dumpster? I kind of doubt it, so you're right- we may be getting the same old 9650 we were expecting in February. The only difference being a new battery door that has Bold stamped on it as well as being loaded up with Verizon's official OS 5.0.0.whatever.

Here's hoping I'm wrong and VZW hands me a CDMA 9700 with a faster processor and more RAM than the current GSM 9700 has. Hey, may as well toss in a 5 MP camera and give it all to me sometime this summer! Yep, one can always dream I suppose...
    Last edited by Dendrite; 03-20-10 at 12:30 PM. Reason: mis-spelled word
    03-20-10 12:25 PM
    i said it before and i will say it again, if the tour2/bold has the same dimensions as the current tour 9630 then blackberry has lost me as a customer. if it looks like the 9700 then i will stay a crackberrian. there are many nice phones coming out for Sprint this year and when my contract is up blackberry is not the only brand i will be looking into.
    03-20-10 12:46 PM
    i said it before and i will say it again, if the tour2/bold has the same dimensions as the current tour 9630 then blackberry has lost me as a customer. if it looks like the 9700 then i will stay a crackberrian. there are many nice phones coming out for Sprint this year and when my contract is up blackberry is not the only brand i will be looking into.
    Yeah, that bezel being 2mm wider is a deal breaker for sure.
    Personally, I couldn't care less about the dimensions as long as there are at least close to the 9630 or 9700, nor do I care for the faux pleather door that some are suggesting will make it a better phone somehow. PLEASE!

However, I am interested in a faster processor, more flash memory and a longer lasting battery, otherwise I have no need for a 9630 with a trackpad and wifi added, or for that matter a 9700 with CDMA added.
    03-20-10 01:05 PM
    I don't think RIM made any big changes with the 9650. It would be nice if it had the same processor as the 9700 and battery life, but the most they did was put a new battery cover with "Bold" on it.
    03-20-10 02:17 PM
    I suspect you may be right. RIM is not exactly know for revolutionary or "game changing" devices in the supersmart phone world (last one where RIM went "outside the box" being the Storm 1 and we know how that worked out...). A few months ago we seemed to be under the impression that RIM had a warehouse full of 9650s ready to be shipped. Rumor was that a few a them had even showed up in NY stores. If that was the case, what are they going to do with all those units, toss them out back in the dumpster? I kind of doubt it, so you're right- we may be getting the same old 9650 we were expecting in February. The only difference being a new battery door that has Bold stamped on it as well as being loaded up with Verizon's official OS 5.0.0.whatever.

Here's hoping I'm wrong and VZW hands me a CDMA 9700 with a faster processor and more RAM than the current GSM 9700 has. Hey, may as well toss in a 5 MP camera and give it all to me sometime this summer! Yep, one can always dream I suppose...
    Hahahaha great post right here, I agree with everything said here, just throw in an 8.1 megapixal like the xperia x1 had.
    03-20-10 02:58 PM
    Personally, I couldn't care less about the dimensions as long as there are at least close to the 9630 or 9700, nor do I care for the faux pleather door that some are suggesting will make it a better phone somehow. PLEASE!

However, I am interested in a faster processor, more flash memory and a longer lasting battery, otherwise I have no need for a 9630 with a trackpad and wifi added, or for that matter a 9700 with CDMA added.
    i got my reasons but to each his own they say. I had a tour 9630 and i thought it was a big phone, the loose battery door and trackball ball other issues. i got rid of it and got a Palm pre, at first i loved the pre the right size big screen web OS was genius. but i got rid of that too for a few reasons. I switched back to my curve and been sitting on the side line again. Now we have the 8530 and possibly the bold coming out, so im going to wait to see what it will look like. if it doesn't appeal to me, then i will look into the 8530 or possibly if announced the 9100 for Sprint. But at the same time i will be also looking into android. I need a smart phone not a computer in my pocket, i have 2 of those in my house. these phones today are just getting bigger and bigger and that doesn't appeal to me, form factor is important.
    03-20-10 04:01 PM
    that was the case, what are they going to do with all those units, toss them out back in the dumpster? I kind of doubt it, so you're right- we may be getting the same old 9650 we were expecting in February.
    Regrettfully, I agree. There is no way they are all going in the dumpster, so I fear that we are just going to see the Tour 2 - just with the new name and many months later than planned. Hope I'm wrong....
    Last edited by ew800; 03-20-10 at 05:44 PM.
    03-20-10 05:41 PM

Lol, took the words right out of my mouth. I love how big a deal people are making about the APPEARANCE of the phone when it's what's on the inside that counts.

(ahem, even if I do have to say that if it looks like a 9700 I'll be sorely disappointed. The lack of a bezel will screw me up for a bit, but I'll adapt.)
    03-20-10 06:59 PM
    one interesting thing i found out, Sal could not load the newest 9650 OS that leaked onto his pre release tour 2. apparently he couldn't load the latest leaked OS, because the hardware in Sals phone did not comply with the leaked OS.

Perphaps there was some kind of hardware change made in the yet to be release Bold 9650, because i dont see any other reason why the hardware in Sals essex wouldn't match the newest leaked OS, unless the new 9650 coming out has some kind of hardware change in it.

however, i'm not hardware/software expert with blackberry, so i'm kinda just going with what makes sense here, and i'm going to speculate that there is some kind of hardware change that was made between the pre-release essex that Sal had, and the new Bold 9650 coming in the near future.
    03-20-10 07:33 PM
    I don't think RIM made any big changes with the 9650. It would be nice if it had the same processor as the 9700 and battery life, but the most they did was put a new battery cover with "Bold" on it.
    yeah we can only dream for a better processor and more battery life
    03-20-10 07:55 PM
    P
    I think not. Is it possible, sure. But given RIM's track record I don't think they would do anything to actually improve this phone. It is probably going to just disappoint like many other phones they have made.
    Plan on bring disappointed if you want to see a 9700 like device on VZW. Likely to be a Tour called a Bold which I find crazy. If the body is the same as a Tour plus track pad and some other upgrades - how is it a bold???!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-20-10 09:39 PM
    At the moment the processor is Qualcomm MSM76xx for 9550/20 or 9650
    9700 doesn't use Qualcomm processor since it is a GSM only unit.
    9520 uses the MSM76xx as well but they(RIM) lock the CDMA portion thru firmware.
    03-20-10 09:48 PM
    the only hardware change that we know of so far is a new battery door and the back saying "Bold" into it. more then likely a leather battery door as well. but everythign else, is still up in the air yet on what else they changed
    Up in the air - I'd say. A battery door that says Bold. Geeze - I hope the specs are equal or exceed to meet "Bold" expectations for the new naming convention.

03-20-10 10:38 PM
    No mas. No mas por favor.

03-20-10 10:42 PM
    No mas. No mas por favor.

Si, OK. Quen es mas macho, y Tour or Bold?

03-20-10 10:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD