The VZW 8530 upgrade site now links to a working page. The PDF states the new OS will be 5.0.0.508!

http://support.vzw.com/system_update/curve_8530.htmlz

There are PDFs detailing how to upgrade as well as the benefit of upgrading. It looks to be mostly bugfixes.
    03-19-10 12:59 PM
    Can't wait to throw it on my Sprint 8530.
    03-19-10 01:23 PM
    niice! when is the actual download being released? lol
    03-19-10 01:37 PM
    This may be a stupid question but will I lose any data (sms, mms, emails, call logs) or apps (themes, cb launcher, fixmo etc) when I upgrade?
    03-19-10 01:57 PM
    sweet, I hope this is true.
    03-19-10 02:07 PM
    This may be a stupid question but will I lose any data (sms, mms, emails, call logs) or apps (themes, cb launcher, fixmo etc) when I upgrade?
    As long as you allow the backup/restore process for the OS upgrade practically everything is auto-transferred.

There are some exceptions, like having to re-enter 3rd party registration codes. I'm not sure if fixmo tools "stored" deleted emails will backup or not either...
    03-19-10 02:21 PM
    Can't wait to get it as well.
    03-19-10 02:28 PM
    As long as you allow the backup/restore process for the OS upgrade practically everything is auto-transferred.

There are some exceptions, like having to re-enter 3rd party registration codes. I'm not sure if fixmo tools "stored" deleted emails will backup or not either...
    thanks papped
    03-19-10 02:31 PM
    any stated fixes over 5.0.0.337 and 5.0.0459? right, i'll just read the pdf
    Last edited by JahMush; 03-19-10 at 02:53 PM.
    03-19-10 02:51 PM
    I'll have to throw that on my BM's BB when it comes out. Hmmf. Must be nice to get an official update from Vzw?
    03-19-10 03:13 PM

My Curve is activated on a BESX server for corpoarate e-mail, contacts and calendar. Any one know if I will have to reactivate if I upgrade the OS?
    03-19-10 03:38 PM
    The front page is now stating that it will be released and available for OTA update on Monday. This is good news

@HFD_Lieutenant To be able to do backup/restore, you need to go through the desktop manager. Using the OTA upgrade will drop all of your settings/applications. The only side note is that if you are connected to BES, your settings will be saved, not applications.

@fairtomiddlin I have not done it with BESX, but you will have to reactivate. That is the way it works with BES. Once you reactivate, all settings/messages/data will be resynced. Your 3rd party applications will not.

The front page has a summary of the upgrades:
    • Battery Life - Overall improvement to battery life
    • Video Operation - Incoming voice calls and scheduled alarms no longer cause an error when loading a page from YouTube
    • Messaging - Entering a phone number to send an SMS message and pressing OK moves the user directly to the Compose Screen
    • Bluetooth - Improvements in operation when using VZ Navigator
    03-19-10 04:08 PM
    Battery life is my main issue so far. Let's hope this is a useful update!
    03-20-10 01:38 PM
    might be a dumb questionnnn but will sprint 8530 users be able to use this update too?
    03-20-10 05:52 PM
    Yup. Just delete the vendor file then DL. Follow tutorials on upgrading process.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-20-10 05:57 PM
    niice! when is the actual download being released? lol
    March 22nd, I believe.
    03-20-10 06:57 PM
    Pardon me for being a newbie to BB ownership (2 weeks), but when an update such as this comes out, how does one get that update on their phone? Is it as simple as turn off, pull battery, *wait* reinsert battery and it will pull the updates then? Or will I need to run the update from my computer desktop manager?

Love the blackberry, I resisted them for to long. I've had no real problems with mine, so far, but I'm all for this upgrade if it improves battery life at all... My problem is I'm running pandora most of the day.
    03-21-10 09:16 AM
    Pardon me for being a newbie to BB ownership (2 weeks), but when an update such as this comes out, how does one get that update on their phone? Is it as simple as turn off, pull battery, *wait* reinsert battery and it will pull the updates then? Or will I need to run the update from my computer desktop manager?

Love the blackberry, I resisted them for to long. I've had no real problems with mine, so far, but I'm all for this upgrade if it improves battery life at all... My problem is I'm running pandora most of the day.
    Take a look @ the PDF posted in the first post of this thread, that has all the instructions on every way to do it.
    03-21-10 11:10 AM
    You need to download the OS update and install to the pc, then use either Loader.exe (I prefer it) or DM to get it into the device.

Check the 101 link on my sig and look for the OS updates articles.
    03-21-10 11:16 AM
    Wouldn't the correct OTA upgrade procedure for a Verizon BES customer be

Options>Advanced_Options>Wireless_Update ??

I really hope this new version fixes the spastic auto-dimming backlight.
    03-21-10 05:30 PM
    I wish ATT would release 5.0
    03-21-10 05:36 PM
    I really hope this new version fixes the spastic auto-dimming backlight.
    Man, you and me both! Drives me nuts, I'll be sitting in one spot with normal lighting and all the sudden i'm being blinded by the backlight! Then it dims back down to the way it was... I've asked my friends that have other BB models and they say theirs do the salme thing and that I should just get used to it... I don't like that option.
    03-21-10 08:26 PM
    I can't wait for the new release.
    03-21-10 08:31 PM
    So what time do you think they are gonna drop this today?
    03-22-10 06:25 AM
    So what time do you think they are gonna drop this today?
    I'm sitting here wondering the same thing.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-22-10 07:46 AM
186 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD