Using my Blackberry causes me to utilize the employer's BES, which utilizes their blocks for sites so benign as hulu.com and imdb.com.

I've already switched the browser from BB to Internet with no luck. Any other ideas?
    03-19-10 06:48 AM
    Sorry, but if your IT Policy blocks a site, there's no way around it. That's the beauty of a BlackBerry from an employer's perspective.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-19-10 07:11 AM
    Sorry, but if your IT Policy blocks a site, there's no way around it. That's the beauty of a BlackBerry from an employer's perspective.

Yes this sucks, a bit. I can't even access ESPN
    03-19-10 07:12 AM
    There definitely is a solution.

Get your own BlackBerry that you pay for and don't put it on the BES. Then you can access whatever sites you wish without limitations.
    03-19-10 07:34 AM
    There definitely is a solution.

Get your own BlackBerry that you pay for and don't put it on the BES. Then you can access whatever sites you wish without limitations.
    I have my own BlackBerry that I pay for. It's called this one. I don't get reimbursement for anything.

This sucks.

03-19-10 08:12 AM
    It is almost never a good idea to put your personal BlackBerry on an enterprise, because you lose all control and all privacy. Your employer should compensate you, or provide a device if they require you to use it. If you are doing this for your own convenience, you may want to reconsider.

03-19-10 08:44 AM
    I have my own BlackBerry that I pay for. It's called this one. I don't get reimbursement for anything.

This sucks.
    Then tell your IT folks that you want to access these sites and to create a policy group for yu that allows you to do so. If they won't do that then take your BB off of their BES and use BIS to get your mail.
    03-19-10 09:06 AM
    Then tell your IT folks that you want to access these sites and to create a policy group for yu that allows you to do so. If they won't do that then take your BB off of their BES and use BIS to get your mail.
    From what I understand, I can't get mail without BES. Is there a way to do so?
    03-19-10 09:08 AM
    You can get your personal email using BIS. It may or may not be possible to get corporate email, depending on your IT department. Use the email setup wizard on your BlackBerry to configure your BIS email inboxes.

03-19-10 09:21 AM
    Have your e-mail forwarded to a Gmail.
    03-19-10 09:28 AM
    I had changed the Blackberry Browser to Internet Browser at 6:30 am with no apparent solution. I rebooted the phone twice, still nothing.

I gave it a few hours to kick in, and at 10:30 am, I can now get to all of the blocked sites on the BB.

Yay.
    03-19-10 09:29 AM
    If your company has an internet accessible email (I remember mine did when I worked), you should be able to set it up via BIS.
    03-19-10 09:47 AM
    If you can access your work email via Outlook Web Access, then you most likely will be able to use those settings to get your work email via BIS.
    03-19-10 09:48 AM
    If you can access your work email via Outlook Web Access, then you most likely will be able to use those settings to get your work email via BIS.
    My employer switched to Exchange and i'm trying to avoid putting BES on my personal blackberry. I have access to my Outlook via web mail, but my blackberry can't access the web address. The error I get is as follows:

"the Gateway timed-out while waiting for a response from the server. Please try a different page."

Are there any other suggestions? Somehow I need to figure out how to access my email, otherwise I have to add BES.
    10-05-10 04:54 PM
    Your corporate email server is behind a Firewall, it will reject any attempt to access the messages unless you have the correct security credentials, BES in this case.

A previous post suggested forwarding your email to Google's Gmail. It may be possible, but it does expose all of your private communications to Googles searchng and indexing ability. They have admitted, they do scan email for marketable profile information.

Your employer should be in the loop before you make any changes.

I had changed the Blackberry Browser to Internet Browser ...
    The OP was able to work around the Browser restrictions by using the Wifi Internet Browser. That will also work with your Bold 9700 when in a Wifi Hotspot.
    10-06-10 10:13 AM
    OR you could get a Iphone and not worry about it. They can't block you then.
    10-07-10 12:33 PM
    When i had a personal BB i had to make a rule in Groupwise that every time i received an email, it would forward to my gmail account (i had to clear my sent items daily) it was a dirty work-around, but it worked.

The only real problem is that you coudln't reply from your work address.. you could do a "reply to" setup in gmail but it didn't work really well.. it still showed as being sent from gmail.. but it's a good way to see what's coming in when you're not at your desk.
    10-11-10 12:32 AM
    Why would anybody use a personal blackberry for work. If a company has an IT dept with policy regarding phones, then you use their phones for busines and use your own for personal use or request they give you a business phone to conduct business.

I just don't get it.
    10-11-10 01:02 AM
    Neither do I. When you're on BES they can see every single action, every phone called, every message sent, every site visited...depending on the level of BES security used.
    When I hand out devices I have a conversation with each staff member...."you do realise that by using this device you consent to being monitored through BES....everything....if you sign this agreement, you consent...."

I carry my own device. Work is work, personal is for racy messages to the hubby....
    10-11-10 06:20 AM
    Neither do I. When you're on BES they can see every single action, every phone called, every message sent, every site visited...depending on the level of BES security used.
    When I hand out devices I have a conversation with each staff member...."you do realise that by using this device you consent to being monitored through BES....everything....if you sign this agreement, you consent...."

I carry my own device. Work is work, personal is for racy messages to the hubby....
    Exactly. I wonder if folks just don't grasp the concept, haven't had the concept of BES being able to log everything explained to them properly, or simply figure IT has too much other stuff to do to care about what they're doing on their BB.

Someone in another thread said BBM was a positive due to being able to chat with friends, family, your s.o., etc, even on a locked down device. No way, Jose. What I talk about to friends, family, strangers, etc is my own business, and I'd sure never conduct any personal conversations on a BES device.
    10-11-10 07:29 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD