Ok, so the difference here is I have actually read all the other threads in the very aptly named table above: "Here are the similar threads we found:".

What I am looking for is the following type of list:

BlackBerry:

+ pro a
    + pro b

- con a
    - con b

Android:

+ pro a
    + pro b

- con a
    - con b
    I am currently carrying the BlackBerry Bold and am looking for reasons to stay on the Blackberry platform. Thus this post (a begging for reasons of sort).

Here are my current plus versus minus for both platforms.

BlackBerry:

• + Overall stability. I have had much less "meltdowns" or loss of data on my BB versus my iPhone. The BlackBerry just works. FYI, I don't know what this means on an Android handset.
    • + Push Everything. I am running a BES with PUSH email, calender and contacts. Frakking Awesome.
    • + BlackBerry Messenger. Wow. Where do you start? A single platform that works between ANY model BlackBerry on ANY carrier! It's GREAT and is a completely reliable way to interact with other BlackBerry users. As a person who works in the wireless industry there are alot of BlackBerry users in my circle; needless to say I use this application A LOT!
    • - Browser. No two ways about it, the BlackBerry Browser is nearly useless. I can't imagine a worse web browsing experience while using a mobile phone unless I go back in time at least 5 years.
    • - Apps. I like apps, bottom line (oh, and I like them cheap and/or free).
    • - Apps. As an excellent programmer I can't explain how useless the BB SDK is compared to other platforms. I like to make my own apps and the BB SDK is ******** (Not the person, but the REAL definition of the word).
    • - UI/Touchscreen Devices. I like 'em. Get over it. Touchscreen is the future, whether the technology is developed fully today or not, In 100 years you wont have a physical keyboard on anything anymore (If you don't believe me, favorite this thread and set a reminder on your outlook for 100 years from now. You WILL be wrong.)

Android:

• + Linux/Unix. I am a *nix fanboy. I can't help it. I use it on my personal laptop. *nix is my dream. The overall satisfaction from using a *nix OS on my phone is hard to explain.

• + Customization. As someone who as actually developed a HSPL (See the term on ANY HTC forum) I can truthfully say that customization is where ITS AT! The BlackBerry can't compete here. Themes don't count - It's just not the same as the ROM development popular in Android devices.
    • + Device Choices. This is definitely one I thought of as I wrote this. In a matter of months, the Android System has propagated itself to MANY devices. See porting threads on XDA-Developers.com forum.
    • + App Availability. Not only are the app availability similar, but the average cost in Android market is significantly cheaper.

• - Security. There is just an inherent level of trust from using a BlackBerry Device. I have never worried about my data when using a BlackBerry. Whereas, when developing WinMo Apps I have personally seen the holes where I could have ROYALLY FRAKKED a user's system. I have never had this experience when developing BB apps.
    • - Why? Everything works on my BB. I dont have that many issues. Well, in recent weeks I have been pressing ALT-SHFT-DEL a lot, but its not the end of the world.
    • - BES. It may not be ActiveSync (read: tasks[WTF? RIM, no tasks, way to get lazy in the end...])
    • - Keyboard Shortcuts. Is there a way to make this work in a touchscreen? I can't think of one?! The BB has this on LOCK DOWN!!!!

Unfortunately, based on my own pro/con list I can't make a decision...

PLEASE STICK TO THE FORMAT!!!!
    Last edited by disASM; 03-18-10 at 10:42 PM.
    03-18-10 10:23 PM
    I think it highly depends on the user. Some 40 year old business guy will most likely be using a BlackBerry and won't even think about a change. He has his mail, calender and crappy camera all in one place, and he's satisfied.
    But you are gonna see less and less regular people buying BB phones, RIM can't really compete with Android on the multimedia front.

CrackBerrys will have a hard time switching platforms, but people that have to decide between the two will most likely choose Android. As far as i can see, Motorola Droid and BB Bold are similarly priced in the US, i don't see how Bold can even compete with the Droid in the eyes of some 20 year old person.

So, i don't think the core users will switch, you'll always have business guys with BBs, but i think you are gonna see less and less regular people buying BlackBerry phones.

I'm new to BlackBerry, boughed mine 2 weeks ago. Wanna know why? It was cheap. BB are cheap as **** here in Croatia, no one is buying them, i got the Bold for under $200, for comparison, iPhone 3GS is around $550.
    They are expensive *** **** if you wanna buy it on a contract with an operator, around $600, but if you buy it second hand, well you heard the story. Mine was 2 months old, looks brand new!
    Ok, back to the point.....
    If he was more expensive, i wouldn't buy it, if iPhone and Bold were similarly priced, I'd pick the iPhone.

I know i don't speak or think like the rest of mankind, but i'm just a regular 22 year old, i believe most guys my age think the same.
    03-19-10 04:27 AM
    This will be of NO help, but I agree with you 100% (except not all Androids will allow all apps; i.e. ATT will reportedly lock you out of non-delivered apps (what's the point ATT? 8-( )).

I do not see why I can't even get OS 5 for my AAT BB Bold (from ATT not on my own), and OS 6 appears to be on the horizon. Whose fault it is I do not know, but this kind of lag is dumb in todays world. Rimm needs to get a slide phone (a.k.a. "T") and a better Storm implementation/touch screen out today and not later or they stand to lose more and more market share. BB's are solid, but if they continue to lag, I see their market share to non-corporate customers steadily falling... And lastly, I fully agree that the BB browser is TERRIBLE. How much longer can they allow this major weakness to continue? IT IS PAINFUL TO USE THE WEB RIMM!!! Are you listening ???????
    03-19-10 08:01 AM
    U know I've been looking at the N1 for awhile now,and I agree security has me stuck with RIM,though my only complaint with bb is the browser I mean it is dated and crappy. So I'm in the air like u here 529 is a lil pricey for me when I have read the battery life is horrible which for me may be a deal breaker cause I'm on my phone constantly and sometimes I don't have access to a charger at all times so let me know what u choose and please give ur feed back thx

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-19-10 10:05 AM
    To the OP: it sounds as though you are much more knowledgable than most regarding the pros and cons of each. Not to mention your personal wants and needs. I don't see how anyone can decide for you...
    03-19-10 12:45 PM
    I would stick with my blackberry. Nexus ones and iphones are more show off phones. Bbs get the job done from every angle

03-19-10 01:18 PM
    I would stick with my blackberry. Nexus ones and iphones are more show off phones. Bbs get the job done from every angle

I agree with Charlie.
    03-19-10 01:29 PM
    My boyfriend has a Droid (xmas gift from me), amd I have my Bold. I'm no programming wiz but I've played around with both and I still prefer my BB. I like the interface and reliability. Though it must be nice to have a workable browser! The Android browser is great. I hate mine.
    03-19-10 04:41 PM
    This isn't a very fair comparison. Nexus > Bold

Unless you have some insane obsession with battery life and have never heard of a car charger.
    03-19-10 06:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD