A friend has informed me that if I use tetherberry on verizon I can still be charged heavly on my data plan. (Charge like I'm not using a plan and I'm just hooking my phone up and tethering). Is this true I really need to tether, but i'm getting and reading horror stories. Can someone give me the truth, the once in for all? thanks
    03-17-10 11:15 PM
    There is not hard and fast rule. Well, there supposedly is: Verizon does NOT permit tethering on a normal DATA account. They charge a separate fee apparently. So using Tether and not paying for tethering may be a violation of their terms of service.

With that, there are reports that people do it anyway and have not been charged or maybe not yet discovered. The more urban legend is that some folks have faced large bills. The caution is if you are going to tether - do not be greedy and eat of gobs of data and you might get away with it.

The other thing is Verizon's own BB homepage leads to software you can purchase and one of the top sellers is Tether (sold through 3rd party but offered by verizon). At least, that was the case a few weeks back. I don't know if they still sell it.

So............ your choice but keet some money in reserve!!!!!
    03-17-10 11:47 PM
    I am also a Verizon customer and just ordered the Tetherberry - however I can't get it to download on my PC. But what I understand is that if you have an unlimited data plan, tether away. Let me know how you do!
    03-17-10 11:48 PM
    There is not hard and fast rule. Well, there supposedly is: Verizon does NOT permit tethering on a normal DATA account. They charge a separate fee apparently. So using Tether and not paying for tethering may be a violation of their terms of service.

With that, there are reports that people do it anyway and have not been charged or maybe not yet discovered. The more urban legend is that some folks have faced large bills. The caution is if you are going to tether - do not be greedy and eat of gobs of data and you might get away with it.

The other thing is Verizon's own BB homepage leads to software you can purchase and one of the top sellers is Tether (sold through 3rd party but offered by verizon). At least, that was the case a few weeks back. I don't know if they still sell it.

So............ your choice but keet some money in reserve!!!!!
    I agree with not being too greedy. From what I've read from other threads, tethering shows up as data usage. In my opinion, you should tether the same way people illegally DL music. You know you should pay for it but if you aren't greedy and abuse it, you shouldn't standout probably won't be fined. *knock on wood*
    03-18-10 07:19 AM
    I've been using tether for about 3 months and haven't had any problems with extra charges.. Although I don't use it heavy. Its really easy to use too.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-18-10 08:18 AM
    I've been using tether for about 3 months and haven't had any problems with extra charges.. Although I don't use it heavy. Its really easy to use too.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Ditto. Been using it for ~3 months as well and no problems. I don't tether heavily either. I wouldn't recommend using it as your primary internet source. You may be flagged if your acct shows heavy data usage so be careful.
    03-18-10 06:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD