so heres the short story: im leaving At&t for verizon and my choice (price aside) is between a droid and a tour 9630.

heres what i want: a phone that doesnt require me to type on a touch screen; if the phone has a touch screen, it has to be good quality (lets say, better than a typical LG screen); something with a generally long lasting battery as well, and not that complicated to use.

so before i go to the store and decide for myself, i just want to hear people's opinions. should i try the droid, or should i stick to blackberry? i have had a bold for only a couple months and love it, but droid does seem like a better texting phone, which is what i do most. any opinions?
    03-17-10 10:11 PM
    get the droid for the time being. sell it when the bold 9750 rolls in most likely around may.
    03-17-10 10:18 PM
    Tour
    -Perfect keyboard imo
    -Battery life is awesome(can do a day or two without a charge)
    -Screen res is nice for how small it is

Droid
    -Keyboard isn't the best(takes some time to get used to it)
    -Battery life is decent(lasted about a day with light usage)
    -Touchscreen and resolution are the best feature
    03-17-10 10:19 PM
    Tour
    -Perfect keyboard imo
    -Battery life is awesome(can do a day or two without a charge)
    -Screen res is nice for how small it is

Droid
    -Keyboard isn't the best(takes some time to get used to it)
    -Battery life is decent(lasted about a day with light usage)
    -Touchscreen and resolution are the best feature
    well thank you, very helpful
    03-17-10 10:23 PM
    Chetan definitely has the right idea. The Tour2 is right around the corner, and the Droid will still retain much of its resale value once that phone's released (compared to the original Tour that should drop sharply). Who knows... Maybe you'll enjoy the Droid and consider it a keeper. You're already familiar with the BBOS anyways.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-17-10 11:29 PM
    Tour is a great device I love it can't go wrong with it
    03-18-10 12:14 AM
    FWIW, it seems most people who have the Droid don't use the physical keyboard. The reason? It SUCKS! One of my co-workers has one and won't touch the physical keys. So, if you get one you might want to plan on learning to like the virtual Keyboard...

Also, I don't know if it's just his or if it's a known issue with the Droid in general (I haven't researched it), but his Bluetooth devices disconnect at random. I know this because he listens to music on BT headphones and about five times a day it will just suddenly start playing from the phone speaker very loudly...lol!

Make sure you try the Droid before you buy it anyway. I find it a bit awkward with the sharp corners and lots of weight. It's almost like holding a brick. It does have some great aspects though, like the high res screen and the Android OS, of course...

The TOur2 or Bold CDMA, or whatever it ends up being should be pretty hot too!
    03-18-10 12:24 AM
    Between the Tour 9630 and Droid, I would go with the Tour. The keyboard is amazing. It's very easy to use and allows you to compose messages at a steady rate. You say that you do a lot of texting? Blackberry is much better at any form of communications that requires a decent amount of typing. That being said, the Droid is still a capable messaging phone, I just prefer the Tour due to its perfect keyboard and like the 5.0 OS for communications. If you are looking for a killer browser, open source, and a variety of apps, Android is the way. Hope I helped.

03-18-10 01:31 AM
    i just want to throw this out there - i dont plan on buying any blackberry with a trackpad, thats why i ruled out the curve that verizon has. just a personal preference
    03-18-10 08:56 AM
    i just want to throw this out there - i dont plan on buying any blackberry with a trackpad, thats why i ruled out the curve that verizon has. just a personal preference
    Droid:

Good

1.Of course the screen is way better then any Blackberry ever produced.
    The touchscreen is beautiful, and video looks great on it
    2. Google Clients are integreted amazingly into the Moto Droid, and the GPS (which is Free) is just as good or maybe even better then these 100+ GPS system you can by on their own.
    3. The Android market has just peaked 30,000 applications so their won't be a shortage of things to help out your Android experience.
    4. Has a solid feel to it.

The OK

1. 1. Battery is decent, but with heavy usage and a car charger you can make it through the day easily (w/o a car charger your pushing the limits or a charger at work)

Bad

1.Keyboard sucks, BUT! you can get used to it within a weeks time no BS, i actually got used to typing on the Droid Keyboard and it wasn't to bad at all. But to like it and enjoy it you have to make yourself use it.

2.Camera doesnt equal up to the Blackberry's don't let the 5 Megapixals fool you it take forever for the thing to snap a picture, they have done some work on it but it too needs some polishing.

3. the onboard Keyboard on Android needs a serious overhual (IMO!) for some reason thats the one think I (I said "I" can not get used to).

Blackberry

1. There all the same different form factor no suprises here. Just pick the thing up if you like the keyboard its a go. you already know what the operating system offers.
    03-18-10 09:14 AM
    I had the droid for a week, I loved everything about it except for the battery drain, hard to try and make a call while driving on it and the call quality sucked.
    03-18-10 09:21 AM
    Droid:

Good

1.Of course the screen is way better then any Blackberry ever produced.
    The touchscreen is beautiful, and video looks great on it
    2. Google Clients are integreted amazingly into the Moto Droid, and the GPS (which is Free) is just as good or maybe even better then these 100+ GPS system you can by on their own.
    3. The Android market has just peaked 30,000 applications so their won't be a shortage of things to help out your Android experience.
    4. Has a solid feel to it.

The OK

1. 1. Battery is decent, but with heavy usage and a car charger you can make it through the day easily (w/o a car charger your pushing the limits or a charger at work)

Bad

1.Keyboard sucks, BUT! you can get used to it within a weeks time no BS, i actually got used to typing on the Droid Keyboard and it wasn't to bad at all. But to like it and enjoy it you have to make yourself use it.

2.Camera doesnt equal up to the Blackberry's don't let the 5 Megapixals fool you it take forever for the thing to snap a picture, they have done some work on it but it too needs some polishing.

3. the onboard Keyboard on Android needs a serious overhual (IMO!) for some reason thats the one think I (I said "I" can not get used to).

Blackberry

1. There all the same different form factor no suprises here. Just pick the thing up if you like the keyboard its a go. you already know what the operating system offers.
    ahh, this also helps very much. do you know if the battery is removable? or is it not replacable, like the iphone's? because if its replacable ill just buy 2 batterys and swap them
    03-18-10 09:22 AM
    ahh, this also helps very much. do you know if the battery is removable? or is it not replacable, like the iphone's? because if its replacable ill just buy 2 batterys and swap them
    the battery is replaceable
    03-18-10 09:36 AM
    Don't care if the Tour will loose some resale value. If you want a phone you can actually enjoy to use on a daily basis stick with the 9630. I had the Droid for a week. Horrible keyboard (physical) touch isn't much better.Droid has issues with receiving email from non Gmail accounts. I had problems with how the Droid handles sms. Its awkward to lug around. I personally didn't care for it. Im much happier with my 9630.
    03-18-10 10:33 AM
    Don't care if the Tour will loose some resale value. If you want a phone you can actually enjoy to use on a daily basis stick with the 9630. I had the Droid for a week. Horrible keyboard (physical) touch isn't much better.Droid has issues with receiving email from non Gmail accounts. I had problems with how the Droid handles sms. Its awkward to lug around. I personally didn't care for it. Im much happier with my 9630.
    Sounds a lot like personal preference, and user error came into the fold here. If you like Blackberry better just say it, Don't bash the Droid because of your personal problems. (get used to replies like this when bashing other smartphones).
    03-18-10 10:37 AM
    Sounds a lot like personal preference, and user error came into the fold here. If you like Blackberry better just say it, Don't bash the Droid because of your personal problems. (get used to replies like this when bashing other smartphones).
    Not bashing just stating facts. I don't think you will find a single sole on this forum who thinks the Droid's qwerty is easier/better then the 9630. It is flat and this has been one of the biggest drawbacks in almost any review you read about it.If its Email you care about then obviously your first choice would be a BB. I'm not saying everything about the droid is negative, it has a great browser takes the best video I have ever seen from a phone and has a great app store. so calm down there big fella I'm not bashing any smart phone!
    03-19-10 06:18 AM
    Not bashing just stating facts. I don't think you will find a single sole on this forum who thinks the Droid's qwerty is easier/better then the 9630. It is flat and this has been one of the biggest drawbacks in almost any review you read about it.If its Email you care about then obviously your first choice would be a BB. I'm not saying everything about the droid is negative, it has a great browser takes the best video I have ever seen from a phone and has a great app store. so calm down there big fella I'm not bashing any smart phone!
    I can vouch for the email issues on android phones. A friend has the Droid, and had a He** of a time trying to set up non gmail accounts and get them to actually work. And as for the keyboard, I have played with it. It's usable, but not as good as BB keyboards. The screen on the Droid is amazing though!
    03-19-10 09:05 AM
    I like both devices, but the Droid is a better choice.

03-19-10 02:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD