I just picked up a brand new Blackberry curve 8530 for Verizon for my son today. Bought it online and am having a problem with it.

I backed up his old phone and opened DM to sync up the new Blackberry and as soon as I plug it in to the USB cable it starts rebooting???? No clue whats going on. It has software version 5.0.0.337 and the store told me that I should update to new version but I can't even do that. It never has a chance to sync up with the phone before it starts rebooting.

Anyone ever had this problem?????

Thanks
    03-17-10 07:19 PM
    Did you buy it used? If so, check the usb port for bent, missing or other wise damaged pins.
    Are you using a laptop? If so, try a desktop.
    You could also try using a different usb cable.
    If those suggestions don't help, try this:
    How to Recover a Nuked BB

Installing the OS when the PC Won't Recognize the Device

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-17-10 08:46 PM
    It happen to me also, I got mine off from Verizon online. Try to transfer my contacts from my storm to the curve. I attached my curve and it started rebooting. This was on my netbook(windows 7). It did work on my desktop(windows xp). I nevered had this problem before. I personally think it has to do with your windows verison.
    03-17-10 11:47 PM
    Thanks for the help

I will try all of those after I get out of work today. I am using a laptop that has windows 7 on it. I did try a couple different USB cables but I think I will try a different computer and see what happens.

Thanks again
    03-18-10 12:50 PM
    Try updating over the air, thats how I fixed mine...
    03-18-10 01:39 PM
    Try updating over the air, thats how I fixed mine...
    Where do you go in the phone to do that?
    03-18-10 02:56 PM
    Thanks for the help

I will try all of those after I get out of work today. I am using a laptop that has windows 7 on it. I did try a couple different USB cables but I think I will try a different computer and see what happens.

Thanks again
    I think Windows 7 is the problem. I had the exact same issue. Worked fine on 2 of my 3 laptops but not the Windows 7 laptop.

What I did was left it plugged in and let it reboot and reboot until finally the load screen came up and it started up as it was supposed to. Now when I plug it in, it's fine. It probably rebooted about 10 times before it finally took....
    03-18-10 04:30 PM
    I recently formatted my pc and installed Win7 64 bit, now when I plug up my BB via USB is does NOT reboot the blackberry OS but it goes into a loop of being recognized and then not recognized over and over by the pc. Its the same thing that would happen if you plug in and unplug the usb cable into the pc over and over.

The desktop manager program installed fine, with the usb drivers and all, and Desktop manager opens and runs fine too but weather the program is open or not when I plug up my BB it goes into this loop.

My blackberry works correctly via usb on my WinXP system and as far I know it worked fine on my Win7 32 bit system. So...

Anyone get the bb to work with usb drivers correctly on win& 64 bit??
    03-18-10 05:00 PM
    Well that was the problem. I hooked it up to my other laptop with Windows XP and it loaded just fine. I ended up reloading the OS and Called Verizon about it and they told me that there is a Patch from Microsoft coming out soon for windows 7 for some of the problems they were having and the OS in the 8530 will be updated soon. It has 5.0.0.337 loaded on it now and that 5.0.0.508 would be out in the next few weeks for an update and that all the new ones now have it loaded on them already.

Thanks to everyone for the ideas and links. That really helped!
    03-18-10 05:52 PM
    I just bought my 8530 from US Cellular...it was a 24 hour return. We tried to update the OS tonight and the same thing kept happening, so from what I am gathering i just need to let it sit and reboot over and over?? Also, I have 3 machines...a MacBook, a Dell w/XP Service Pack 3, and Desktop with Vista...any suggestions on which one I should use to combat this problem. I was doing it at a buddies house who has Windows 7...
    03-19-10 06:31 PM
    Well that was the problem. I hooked it up to my other laptop with Windows XP and it loaded just fine. I ended up reloading the OS and Called Verizon about it and they told me that there is a Patch from Microsoft coming out soon for windows 7 for some of the problems they were having and the OS in the 8530 will be updated soon. It has 5.0.0.337 loaded on it now and that 5.0.0.508 would be out in the next few weeks for an update and that all the new ones now have it loaded on them already.

Thanks to everyone for the ideas and links. That really helped!
    Try this. Have the phone turned on. Have the computer turned off. Plug the phone into the computer with the computer off. Turn on the computer with the phone connected. I think you will find it will work fine until the patches come out.
    03-19-10 08:46 PM
    We can try that as well...thanks kwkid! However last night before I cashed out for the night I happened to plug my 8530 into my MacBook and it did not reboot...haven't tried working with it yet, only time will tell!
    03-20-10 05:02 AM
    I'm told that the update coming out Monday might help all of these problems. I guess I will just have to use a computer that has Windows XP on it for now. But I will try that having both items off and plugging them up and seeing if that works when I turn them both on.
    03-20-10 08:52 AM
    I'm told that the update coming out Monday might help all of these problems. I guess I will just have to use a computer that has Windows XP on it for now. But I will try that having both items off and plugging them up and seeing if that works when I turn them both on.
    No, You need the phone already on and the computer off. Then turn on the computer. At that point you should be good and the phone should not start rebooting.
    03-20-10 12:54 PM
    This is a Windows 7 problem. I tried using DM on my netbook with Windows 7, and when I plug-in my BB on my netbook, my phone just reboots and my computer doesn't install the BB drivers successfully. So, I tried it on my laptop with Windows XP, it works just fine, it downloaded all the drivers for BB phone, and my phone didn't reboot when I plugged-in my phone into my computer.
    03-20-10 07:26 PM
    This is a Windows 7 problem. I tried using DM on my netbook with Windows 7, and when I plug-in my BB on my netbook, my phone just reboots and my computer doesn't install the BB drivers successfully. So, I tried it on my laptop with Windows XP, it works just fine, it downloaded all the drivers for BB phone, and my phone didn't reboot when I plugged-in my phone into my computer.
    I'll agree with part of that. It is somewhat Win 7 related, but I think there are some missing pieces to that puzzle. First, if it was Win 7 in every version, I think we would be hearing a whole lot more complaining than the few people I have seen post about this issue. I for one am running Win 7 Professional, 32 bit version, with Outlook 2010, with a BB 8520, and I have experienced zero issues. But that leaves a whole lot of different configurations. I would be real interested to hear what the people who have posted about this issue, what their configuration is and see if there isn't some commonality that may point to a specific area to determine what exactly needs to be addressed. I have even heard that the latest OS fixes this issue, which would point at a driver incompatibility instead of a Win 7 issue. But again, it must be very Win 7 specific, as the problem is not widespread at all.
    03-20-10 09:35 PM
    funny thing my 8530 reboots when connect the usb to my win xp computer in the office, but on my laptop win 7 and also in my house, same windows xp as the office it works great
    03-21-10 06:05 PM
    This happens for me as well one of my Windows XP machines (a laptop), and works perfectly fine on another (desktop).

I'm guessing it has something to do with Power to the handheld. If I use the cord that was provided with the 8530 Handheld it reboots, if I use a shorter old cord with an adapter to the new power dongle, it works fine, until I plug in another USB device, then it also reboots.

I think there may be power issues with my laptop's USB ports.

Just a thought.
    04-20-10 08:25 AM
    I alleviated this problem on my Windows 7 64bit system by messing around with the memory setting in blackberry options. I disabled media card support and bam- it all works fine. If you enable media card support but turn off MTP or MSM you can also get this to work. Just play around with these settings and all is great. Even on Windows 7 even on 64bit systems.
    04-20-10 08:53 AM
    did anyone find a solution for this?
    I cannot connect my blackberry curve 8530 to my netbook with windows 7 starter.... keeps rebooting... let it reboot for like 30 mins and nothing

i tried turning the computer off while leaving the phone on and plugging it in but still turns off... it works on my windows 7 desktop but i need it to work on my netbook for tethering....

any solutions?
    04-26-10 05:49 PM
    did anyone find a solution for this?
    I cannot connect my blackberry curve 8530 to my netbook with windows 7 starter.... keeps rebooting... let it reboot for like 30 mins and nothing

i tried turning the computer off while leaving the phone on and plugging it in but still turns off... it works on my windows 7 desktop but i need it to work on my netbook for tethering....

any solutions?
    Did you try anything that JahMush posted? Also, are you saying you have Win7 Starter Edition? If that is true, considering how crippled that OS is, you may have problems. Not sure how you got that as the lowest end NetBook sold can handle Win 7 or Win XP these days. As far as tethering goes, well good luck with that.
    04-26-10 09:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD