I downloaded the app successfully, but there's one problem. When I open the app, it displays in full when in landscape view, but in portrait view it only partially displays the whole app. Is this the way it is? If so, this one thing makes me not want to purchase it if the only way you can view the app correctly is in landscape view and when in portrait it's only partial...
    03-17-10 10:36 AM
    Try to see if compatibility is on for the app. That my fix the portrait mode.
    03-17-10 10:57 AM
    options > applications > highlight the smartstart app > bbmenu > disable compatibility mode > back out of options > battery pull
    03-17-10 01:10 PM
    What kind of app is this just curious?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-17-10 01:19 PM
    It is for the Viper alarm. With a $299 module (plus monthly service), you can communicate with you Viper car alarm.
    03-17-10 01:26 PM
    oh okay, i have the viper auto start on my car... i won't if i can just get the module thinger to go with it... hmmm anyone know?

acutally correction its the Valet auto start... viper was on my prev. car... shoot..
    03-17-10 01:32 PM
    options > applications > highlight the smartstart app > bbmenu > disable compatibility mode > back out of options > battery pull
    When I downloaded the app, I did everything you mentioned with the exception of a battery pull. Doing that now and I'll see what happens...

Tried the battery pull and it made no difference. Still only a partial app screen in portrait view. Any other suggestions?
    Last edited by MrBenchMark; 03-17-10 at 01:48 PM.
    03-17-10 01:35 PM
    The app is only completely visible in Landscape mode. That's the way it is. Previous thread on this.
    03-17-10 01:53 PM
    The app is only completely visible in Landscape mode. That's the way it is. Previous thread on this.
    Yup. Heard it was going to be updated soon but that was 2 weeks ago.

03-17-10 02:02 PM
    Well that sucks. You would think the least they could do was to make the landscape view the ONLY view no matter which way the Storm is turned. There are other apps like that which only have one view no matter which way the Storm is turned. Surely they'll change that because it looks very unprofessional the way it is...
    03-17-10 02:03 PM
    did you read the website?

** Instructions for using the app on BlackBerry Storm2 and Storm smartphones:

1. Using the browser on your phone, download the SmartStart app.
    2. From the Options icon on your home screen, select "Applications".
    3. Highlight Viper SmartStart on the Applications list, and press the menu key.
    4. Select "Disable Compatibility Mode".
    5. Return to the Home screen, open the SmartStart application (normally located in Downloads folder).
    6. Select Settings tab and enter your SmartStart log-in information (horizontal or vertical mode). Press "SAVE".
    7. Accept Terms and Conditions by pressing menu key on phone, and selecting "Accept".
    8. Orient phone in horizontal mode for full access to SmartStart app functions. Future app releases will also support vertical operation for Storm and Storm2 phones.
    mrismail likes this.
    03-17-10 02:40 PM
    I love this idea but what really gets me is the 30/year charge? That made me change my mind.

03-17-10 02:52 PM
    I love this idea but what really gets me is the 30/year charge? That made me change my mind.

the viper smart start uses gsm to send and receive the signal for unlocking / starting, etc. when you buy it, it comes with a year of the service. its basically a pager for your car that you're paying for. and if you break it down, its 2.50 a month to start your car from where ever you want.

most of us spend 2.50 a month on crappy blackberry apps that dont work.
    03-17-10 03:05 PM
    I agree on the $2.50 a month, not the $299.module. Oh well.
    03-17-10 04:29 PM
    the viper smart start uses gsm to send and receive the signal for unlocking / starting, etc. when you buy it, it comes with a year of the service. its basically a pager for your car that you're paying for. and if you break it down, its 2.50 a month to start your car from where ever you want.

I concur...
    03-17-10 06:20 PM
    I agree on the $2.50 a month, not the $299.module. Oh well.
    yeah, that part sucks. i have a 791xv that im about to pull out of a dead car. its almost going to be cheaper to just get a new alarm installed than to buy the module and install this old one.

ebay tho, i paid 280 for the 791 when it was 500+ at best buy.
    03-18-10 05:32 AM
    this is a really dumb question but i'm very picky with my car... does the viper alarm disable OEM lock/unlock button? also what if you don't have you phone? do you have to manually unlock? also this is a big one for me, the noise when you unlock/lock is it like the luxur beep,beep noise or just then normal one on the car?
    03-18-10 09:09 AM
    this is a really dumb question but i'm very picky with my car... does the viper alarm disable OEM lock/unlock button? also what if you don't have you phone? do you have to manually unlock? also this is a big one for me, the noise when you unlock/lock is it like the luxur beep,beep noise or just then normal one on the car?
    No it does not disable the Oem lock buttons or fob. If you don't have your phone you would just use the viper remote that comes with the alarm. The phone app is only if you want to start your car from far away when you cant get range on your remote.

IF ANYONE NEEDS HELP WITH THIS OR NEEDS VEHICLE WIRING INFO PM ME. 13 YEAR INSTALLER SPECIALIZING IN REMOTE START/SECURITY WITH ALL RESOURCES AVAILABLE
    Last edited by hydroz_23; 03-18-10 at 10:32 AM.
    03-18-10 10:30 AM
    I'd like to know if and when they are going to make this available in Canada. I have a Hummer H2 that is waiting patiently for this.

Mike
    03-18-10 10:42 AM
    Reviving this thread...
    I have a Viper 791XV installed already...will this smartstart module work with it?
    Can't find any answers (and DEI has no email support!!)
    12-25-10 02:07 PM
    Yup. Heard it was going to be updated soon but that was 2 weeks ago.

I've had the viper app for 6 months now. It works in portrait and landscape mode. Wich ever way I pull it out of my pocket/case..it switches between just fine. I've noticed if I open it one way and switch, its kinda slow switching modes. Other then that, I've had no problem using it in portrait or landscape.

12-25-10 09:22 PM
    Reviving this thread...
    I have a Viper 791XV installed already...will this smartstart module work with it?
    Contact Directed Technical Support by sending an email to [email protected] or call 800-753-0600
    wungun likes this.
    12-25-10 10:58 PM
    Reviving this thread...
    Yes it will work with the 791xv. It will not work with the older Clifford stuff before they were acquired by dei. It wont really work with any of the led systems and has issues with hornet lcd. It has to be a LCD two way not led. If you have any questions, pm me. Authorized installer for dei and audiovox for 13 years. not worth the money IMO and not very popular, at least not for my company and we do around 200 remote starts a month between all of us

Last edited by hydroz_23; 12-26-10 at 01:33 AM.
    12-25-10 11:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD